Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CZ75 40 to 38 Super conversion....

Dranoel

Just found a CZ75 SA that I really like except for one thing. It's .40 SW. :(  Would love to convert it to 38 Super. I know the frame will be fine but can I get away with a barrel and spring swap or will I need a new slide as well?

26 minutes ago, eerw said:

mags and frame are not long enough for 38 Super OAL.

Reason why Tanfoglio has the large frame platforms.

Hadn't taken that one into consideration.  What about converting a 40 to 9mm? Is the breechface too large or does CZ like some other mfrs. use the same breechface for both?

2 hours ago, Dranoel said:

Hadn't taken that one into consideration.  What about converting a 40 to 9mm? Is the breechface too large or does CZ like some other mfrs. use the same breechface for both?

40 is a larger breech face, but I've never had issues using a 9mm barrel in a 40 slide.  The SP01 9mm barrel would be the one for you, the 75 SA 9mm uses a barrel which is too skinny.

I have a barrel for a SP01 laying around that I'm not using if you need it.  I took it out to start converting the slide to an open gun for a TS frame.  PM me if you are interested.

Have a SA 9mm barrel also if that is the one you need.

Edited by aandabooks

Thanks, guys. I haven't bought the pistol yet. Wanted to make sure I wasn't gonna be stuck with a .40 first. But if I can get them to take this gawdawful Kimber on trade I may pick it up soon. The one I was looking at is the Tactical Sport.

aandabooks, I may take you up on that. 

Edited by Dranoel

13 hours ago, Dranoel said:

Thanks, guys. I haven't bought the pistol yet. Wanted to make sure I wasn't gonna be stuck with a .40 first. But if I can get them to take this gawdawful Kimber on trade I may pick it up soon. The one I was looking at is the Tactical Sport.

That is a whole different barrel.  I don't have any extra barrels laying around for the TS.  I own 3 of them but while they are listed as a 75 series gun they share very little with the 75b, SP01 guns.

18 hours ago, Dranoel said:

That's a different gun. You will need, at a minimum, a new barrel and magazines. The 9mm barrel will more than likely need some tuning as well.  

• 2 months later...

Ok. Traded my Kimber Custom TLE II for the TS .40 with $400 boot. Been in contact with Cajun Gunworks about a new 9mm barrel recoil spring, steel guide and mags as well as some trigger tuning options. (trigger on this feels like a marshmallow) So, diving into deep water in a whole new pond, but still in love with my 1911s.

CZ75 Tactiacl Sport.JPG

Edited by Dranoel

I have a 40 BSA.  I have developed a light 40 cast load that is very accurate.  A SPO1 9mm barrel goes right in with no issues.  Change barrel and mag and it works great. 

With a 150gr cast .40 at very low velocity and a 128 or 135 gr at medium velocity, both calibers impact the target at the same place.  No sight adjustment necessary.

1 hour ago, Dranoel said:

Been in contact with Cajun Gunworks about a new 9mm barrel recoil spring, steel guide and mags as well as some trigger tuning options. (trigger on this feels like a marshmallow) So, diving into deep water in a whole new pond, but still in love with my 1911s.

The tactical sport (TS) is a great SAO pistol and the basis for the Tactical Sport Orange and Czechmate models that CZ sells for at a premium compared to the TS.

Didn't realize that CGW had barrels for the tactical sport models.  Be sure you are talking to them about a standard CZ 75 or SP01 barrel.  The comment about the trigger surprises me, as TS pistols are known for their out of the box <2#, crisp triggers.  It could be that the PO installed a lighter main spring. 

Anyhow, enjoy  the new toy, come back and share your thoughts after you've had some time to shoot it a bit.

1 hour ago, muncie21 said:

The tactical sport (TS) is a great SAO pistol and the basis for the Tactical Sport Orange and Czechmate models that CZ sells for at a premium compared to the TS.

Didn't realize that CGW had barrels for the tactical sport models.  Be sure you are talking to them about a standard CZ 75 or SP01 barrel.  The comment about the trigger surprises me, as TS pistols are known for their out of the box <2#, crisp triggers.  It could be that the PO installed a lighter main spring. 

Anyhow, enjoy  the new toy, come back and share your thoughts after you've had some time to shoot it a bit.

CGW is a distributor for CZ parts. He knows exactly what I have and assures me that while they are not common he can get the proper 9mm replacement barrel and mags in a few days time. Also discussed the trigger and he advised that it can be improved on with the stock parts but he also has more or less drop-in parts that make it better. I'm keen to learn a new system so this may be the first. I've also been considering a Glock Armorers course as there are some ideas I have down that path. In any event, I enjoy learning new things and they often spawn ideas for improvement. So this will only make me better.