Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

S&W M&P 15-22 Firing Pin

S&W686

2 hours ago, Slowmisses said:

Your best bet is to find a machinist or gun smith who can make one based on your old firing pin. I paid 20€ each for my last firing pins.

I'd suggest contacting S&W customer service if you need a replacement.  I had one go bad and they sent me a new one (not hard to replace yourself).

4 hours ago, Slowmisses said:

Your best bet is to find a machinist or gun smith who can make one based on your old firing pin. I paid 20€ each for my last firing pins.

Sorry, I wrote this not thinking that some people live in USA. For us in Europe only change is to make one because S&W customer support doesn't extend here.

2 hours ago, Slowmisses said:

Sorry, I wrote this not thinking that some people live in USA. For us in Europe only change is to make one because S&W customer support doesn't extend here.

The only really bad part about the 15-22 is that replacement parts are not generally available at retail, even by non-OEMs.

One bad thing about S&W is they won’t sell some parts. I tried to get the new style handguard for my 15-22 and they refused to sell me one. I think it lists for about $15. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Pinched from the S&W forum in various threads

s&w 404760000 or 408170000 firing pin
s&w 404770000 firing pin spring
s&w 404780000 pin, coil spring
s&w 315430000 .22 extractor rev 2
s&w 315610000 extractor spring
s&w 406130000 extractor plunger
s&w 407790000 BLUE bolt spring
s&w 404510000 upper

S&w 405020000 b106 22 AR bbl threaded 16.5" rev A
S&w 404570000 ejector
s&w 408300000 magazine 25rd fde
s&w 404560000 barrel extension
S&w 404590000 barrel extension rollpin

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Not an easy task to solve if living in Europe. Three different gun smiths have tried, one commercial (Blackmore Vale Guns UK, out of business now a days). Best have lasted like 6000 rounds, worst(commercial) 500 rounds. Original lasted something between 10 and 20k. Some of the broken pins in picture.

Triggers have been lightened original, jp and hiperfire comp, no differense what comes to firing pin age...

1522firingpins.jpg

Edited by Antti

5 hours ago, Antti said:

Not an easy task to solve if living in Europe. Three different gun smiths have tried, one commercial (Blackmore Vale Guns UK, out of business now a days). Best have lasted like 6000 rounds, worst(commercial) 500 rounds. Original lasted something between 10 and 20k. Some of the broken pins in picture.

Triggers have been lightened original, jp and hiperfire comp, no differense what comes to firing pin age...

1522firingpins.jpg

WOW! Thanks for sharing; I just got a 1522 as my first semiauto long gun and I really enjoy it; 10-20k is quite a few rounds, but in the realm of .22, I can see how it's easily possible to go through that much in a year, especially if shooting in and out of matches.

The titanium pin, I feel, would do well. Thoughts, anyone? After reading this thread, I really feel the need to keep a spare. 

And Hory Clap, the fourth pin in your picture looks HORRIBLE. Thank you for sharing, again.