Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What to watch out for?

UpYoursPal

Hey all.  I'm a relatively new shooter who has been shooting production for the past few months.  A buddy let me borrow his S&W TRR8 and I became smitten with it.  I want to shoot a match in the USPSA revolver division, but I'm not sure what things I should especially be aware of when it comes to revolver shooting.  I understand the gear limitations of the division, but what are some of the things that may not be apparent to a new shooter? Like, when you should be reloading, how many moon clips to take (I only have 10), when you should be putting new rounds in your clips, etc

What are some traps to avoid?

Sorry for the elementary question, but there's not a whole lot of information out there.

Edited by UpYoursPal

The reload is the big one. Which hand do you use to put the moon clip in with? I'm a right handed shooter, and I reload with my strong hand. I do have to be more aware of my muzzle direction during my reloads than I do when running my bottom feeders.

Stage breakdown with an 8 shot isn't too different than it is with a production gun, you just have fewer makeup shots. Your steel shooting will likely improve, the front sight gets pretty big with only 8 in the gun.

Missing is the biggest trap.  For that matter, shooting a "D" is also a trap.  You have to shoot a perfect game.  That's what I find the most compelling and/or interesting about shooting revolver in USPSA.  You've got to be quick, for sure.  However, being to quick and missing will punish you.  I came from Single Stack, so stage plans are similar, although not the same.  I could make up for a lot of my sins with the 1911 by being very quick and shooting Major power factor.

Regarding moon clips, I routinely show up with a little pill bottle of about fifty of them.  I usually only use six for any given stage.  One to load with and five other for reloads.  For a long field course of 32 rounds, four moon clips would hold you just fine assuming you're at a club that has eight round arrays on the regular.  That's a subject for another time, as it's a disservice to the sport in so many ways.  I seldom end up dumping more than a couple partial moonclips on any given stage.

Revolver is addicting.  More so than Single Stack.  Not just in USPSA either.  Consider a carry gun.  For me, I could follow the crowd and end up with a .380 that wouldn't likely put down a 120lb deer with a well-placed deliberate shot.  Or you could carry a K/L or N frame and have much more confidence that hasty hit, even sideways, will likely do a much better job getting to the important bits and stopping whatever fight you've found yourself in.

6 minutes ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

If I were to shoot revolver, I'd have enough moon clips to shoot the entire match -

load the clips at home, and not be bothered by it again until the next day    :) 

Oh, and Don't Ever Miss a shot ….    ?

I agree with HPJ, however I seldom do that.  With the .38 guns, I could reload my moon clips by hand as quick as a Single Stack or Production guy.  Now that I'm trying out the 929, I might start clipping enough for a match beforehand as it's a pain to do that on each stage, even with the BMT mooner.

Glad you are trying out the revolver! The TRR8 is a great little gun. There is not a lot of participation in USPSA Revolver division, so be prepared to be a bit lonely. You'll need a way to transport 5-8 moonclips on your belt for all the reloads you'll need.

The number of moons depends on the number of stages. I have 40 for the 929. I made it through an eight stage match last weekend with 6 fully loaded remaining. Reloading at a match isn't fun, but if you are limited on moons you may want to reload right after you shoot.

Try to convert more shooters to revolver if you can. Good luck out there!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

35 minutes ago, PatJones said:

The reload is the big one. Which hand do you use to put the moon clip in with? I'm a right handed shooter, and I reload with my strong hand. I do have to be more aware of my muzzle direction during my reloads than I do when running my bottom feeders.

I've been doing strong hand reloads, like you mentioned.  It seems like the simplest way to do it.

Watch how single stack (major power factor) shooters break down a stage since you're both shooting 8 rounds.  I love my TRR8.
This is a good plan. Also make sure you find a .38 Special that makes minor.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I've been doing strong hand reloads, like you mentioned.  It seems like the simplest way to do it.
It is for me. I always hand a new revo shooter an empty gun and loose ammo. What ever hand they put it in with is the one I encourage them to load with.

I went the better part of my first year with 10 moon clips. I don't use a BMT, I like to feel if I have a loose 38 case. I use one of the tubular tools to remove the brass, you can buy one or make one from a golf club shaft.

So far I've only shot some outlaw steel challenge with my TRR8 and after having to reload moons after every stage I went out and picked up 50 hearthco clips. I'll come with enough loaded clips to get me through match next time. 

Most stages I Start with 6 moons, 1 in the gun 5 on my belt, if for some reason I will want or need to plan 4 or more reloads I will make sure I have 2 more than I am planning to use. 

If you can get a moon clip checker like this that way after you load the moons you can check that they will drop into the cylinder, its like a case gauge for mooned ammo.

Reloading. think about it more than you ever have, it is slow compared to an auto, its worth it to make sure you are not doing extras. It is also good to know your ability, if your shooting longer range steel and your plan calls for you to go 1 for 1 but you realistically are not going to go 1 for 1 then you should change you plan to something you can do, its better to drop an extra round or two on the ground for a planned reload than to make a unplanned reload. When you do have unplanned reloads get back on plan right away, it doesn't matter if you only shot 1, just get back on plan. 

Accuracy your scoring minor, you have shot production so your used to that no change here, you only have 8 rounds that's new, you likely will have plans that do not allow for many if any make up shots.

Shooting a revo is often like rock climbing without a rope, its not that the task is harder its that the penalty for failure is so high.