Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Questions about STI gen2 mags

B_RAD

I just got 2 new ones. I've been using mbx and gen 1 STI. The mbx have been 100% as have the 2 gen1 STI I've used for practice. I bought them used so I'm thinking they (gen 1 STI) may have been tuned before I got them. 

Anyways, my question about the new gen2 STI mags is are they supposed to be larger? (front to back dimension)

The ones I got are. They will fit but they're tight and are less forgiving if slightly canted more than normal.  They drop fine and so far have been 100 percent. They do hold 21 so they may just be the ones I use for starting with 22. 

Just wondering wondering?

Edited by B_RAD

if you look on Facebook at Atlas gunworks page, the talk about up near the top of the mag the dimensions the new mags start at and what they need to be. That usually fixes the tightness problem and then set the feed lips and the mags run fine.

Edited by TRPOperator

1 hour ago, Tangowhiskey said:

Brand new dvc 40 and mags ,the mags wouldn’t drop freely. Have not had time to investigate the problem yet but anybody have this problem? I’m thinking mag lips are out of spec.?.

Not the feed lips but the mag body itself. Go to Atlas Gunworks Youtube channel and watch his videos on tuning mags. He shows what you need to do to get them to drop free.

6 hours ago, Excursion12 said:

Where did you order the Gen 2 mags from? Looking to try a few myself and some places still have gen 1 pics on their website.

Dawson and Brownells all have the Gen2. Their pics are just not up to date.

8 minutes ago, B_RAD said:

I wouldn't buy gen2 again. 

MBX are the way to go. The gen1 have been 100% as well!

After trying to get 3 Gen2 mags to run reliably, I gave up. The 140's I will still use for steel matches.

Bought a MBX big stick and not a single hiccup. Just bought a 155 and ran a match straight out of the wrapper.

I know they are pricey, but so is my time, gas and money wasted for 5 months of matches on the the Gen 2.

Like most threads nobody seems to really read the topic. 

I never said anything or asked about them being reliable. Just asked if anyone else noticed them being larger? 

Before anyone ask if it's because I don't know how to tune them, I'll say they came tuned from Atlas. Again, I'm not asking or saying they're not reliable. I'm simply asking if anyone else thinks they're larger and tighter to get in the gun?

I have both Gen 1 and Gen 2 STI mags in .40, both versions lock up and drop free easily right out of the package, so no I haven't seen a difference between the 2 Gen's.  Note that this is with a PT Evo grip.

8 hours ago, cs62 said:

I have both Gen 1 and Gen 2 STI mags in .40, both versions lock up and drop free easily right out of the package, so no I haven't seen a difference between the 2 Gen's.  Note that this is with a PT Evo grip.

Thank you for the input.