Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

X12 Typhoon

Alvin

I realize that it's low end, but has anyone handled or checked out an X12 Typhoon?  It came out at the Shotshow this year and looks interesting to say the least.  Also looking at a Utas XTR....guess I'm looking for an AR-10 style shotgun without going crazy on price.  Don't need a $2500 custom shotgun for what I'm doing.  Thanks!

Stay away from the UTAS,  it's a turd. I already have  along list of parts that have broken on it. Warranty is only good for a year. I am waiting on a shipment of parts to get it back together. It sounds like an awesome idea, just was not well planned by the designer. I know there is the one guy who swears by it, but he is one of the few. I am making a few changes to see if it will help. I also purchased a Vepr and it flat out runs for the same price. Dissident has them in stock form. Went to their shop yesterday to get some mags and parts. It's actually cheaper than the xtr and way better. 

• 4 weeks later...

The Typhoons at the World Shotgun Championsships were the bigger and more expensive brother F12 in a full aluminium construction with Cerakote . However the X12 is a nice gun though the construction is different from the F12. At a list price of 549USD it is really a bargain with a production quality way above the competitors in the same price range and internal features the competiton dont have.

However, if you want to use it for IPSC or 3 GUn competition on a competitive level you should aim for the F12 which is also now available in the US. It has been tested and updated over the past 2 years in the EUropean market for this purpose so any child diseases have been cured.

Link to the Scandinavian distributor Facebook https://www.facebook.com/Typhoondefencenordic/  (also a few videos also of the X12 filmed by Atlantic Firearms in US)

• 4 months later...

Greetings from a new member. I have a Rock Island Armory VR60. This is manufactured by Derya industries and has the very same address as Typhoon. I would guess that Typhoon goes out one door and the VR60 goes out another. I can tell you I was in the same boat, wanted a good reliable, box fed shotgun that was affordable. I don't shoot competitively anymore, too old, but I still love to send rounds down range. I've run over 500 rounds through my VR60, birdshot to buckshot and no issues. It took about 25 rounds to run smoothly with no failures but after that, it runs and is 100%. I added a Grizzly gun works muzzle brake and I can stay on target during rapid fire. I'm actually considering adding a X12 if the mags interchange and from looking at the photo's, they are identical. I've taken the VR60 down and examined all the internal parts and they are robust if that tells you anything. These manufacturers are ISO 9000 rated. I am not crazy about the gray color of the gun but it was the last one available at the time.

Edited by Lucky1

The Typhoon F12 is a well designed contender. It's heavier than my 1301 by a long way but I bought it because I can't reload the 1301 with my stiff fingers. Many have bought it as their first Competition shotgun because of this. It still needs practice to reload a 10 round magazine believe me. If you buy one check out the video on how to strip it. Do that before taking it to the range. Inside you will find a piston affair marked "light load" and "heavy load". Heavy Load should not be required for competition so make sure the arrow for Light Load is facing towards the operator. Mine and others was in the other way. It shoots every thing I give it now mostly 28 gram. I have heard some boast 24 gram but I've never gone that low. Mine has a Vortex Venom mounted on a cheap 1inch riser. The gun is big in Europe and as someone said, the glitches have been ironed out. I hope. Big following in the U.K. especially and some good YouTube stuff. I was looking forward to its first competition tomorrow but it's cancelled due to weather. Next time.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 years later...