Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

10 pound recoil spring in your .40 CZ?

muncie21

I was at the range today shooting my .40 tactical sport and wanted to see what would happen if I switched out the 14# recoil spring I normally shoot with for a 10# one I had in my bag.  First thing I noticed was that the sights appeared to come back on target quicker.  I had a 13# spring (CGW green one) with me, so I tried that one also.  In short, while the difference isn't dramatic the 10# seemed to be a tad quicker than either the 13 or 14 pound springs.  That could also be my imagination :)

BTW, I picked up the spent brass before switching springs to see if there was a difference in ejection pattern or distance; there was not.

I'd be interested to hear from anyone using 10/11 pound recoil springs in their CZ, with major PF loads (mine are 168-172).

I run a 11# in my TS with either 180g or 200g Bayou's at Major PF.  I perceive that the sights get back on target quicker than with a higher # spring.  I felt as though the higher # springs forced the nose of the slide to dip before resettling as well.

Edited by phoenixsomd

• 2 weeks later...

Are you guys having problems with breaking slide stops? I’ve had my gun for 18 months and have broke 6 slide stops already running a 11lb recoil spring with about 172-174 power factor. Getting frustrated with this crap. My brass lands approximately 15ft away as well. What do you guys think? Using 180g bullet with 4.2g of ramshot comp

Dang, 6 slide stops? I've had my TS for 18 months and haven't broken a thing.  I did change my slide stop at the 12 month mark and intend to keep doing that annually to avoid a breakage.  What happens when one breaks, is it a stage ending failure or are you finding a hairline crack in the stop?  

I have stopped using slide stops (not because they broke excessively) and just us the pin now.  The reason for this is because I don't normally plan to run the gun dry (hence no need for the slide to lock back) and having the pin only helps with the grip placement of my support hand. 

8 hours ago, obsessiveshooter said:

Dang, 6 slide stops? I've had my TS for 18 months and haven't broken a thing.  I did change my slide stop at the 12 month mark and intend to keep doing that annually to avoid a breakage.  What happens when one breaks, is it a stage ending failure or are you finding a hairline crack in the stop?  

It just depends. They do completely break in half though and if my hand is in the right place it will keep it in place and I can usually get through a stage. If not it will keep the gun slightly out of batter but not for every shot. What load are you using?

Just now, LMS said:

So you can't lock your slide open at all (like when laying the pistol down on a bench)?

Nope and honestly I've never found the need to do this. 

At my range I can lay an empty pistol on the safe table with no mag inserted and the slide closed

8 hours ago, aandabooks said:

I just dropped two of my TSs down to 10lb and 11lb springs from 12lb springs.  I have never broken a slide stop and I don't run buffers.

What load are you using? 

1 hour ago, muncie21 said:

I have stopped using slide stops (not because they broke excessively) and just us the pin now.  The reason for this is because I don't normally plan to run the gun dry (hence no need for the slide to lock back) and having the pin only helps with the grip placement of my support hand. 

Me too. After I broke the first slide stop I just used the pin that came with the gun and found I liked it better. Still break them though. 

1 minute ago, Superpipe9 said:

Me too. After I broke the first slide stop I just used the pin that came with the gun and found I liked it better. Still break them though. 

If you're breaking the pin, something isn't right.  The pin is primarily allowing your barrel to tilt/cam up/down, there shouldn't be enough force on it to break it.

Check your barrel to see if something is binding. 

7 minutes ago, muncie21 said:

Nope and honestly I've never found the need to do this. 

At my range I can lay an empty pistol on the safe table with no mag inserted and the slide closed

Guess it's local protocol.   Lots of ranges around me want slide locked open and visible when the gun is on the bench.    Of course only about half of the shooters do it... 

2 minutes ago, muncie21 said:

If you're breaking the pin, something isn't right.  The pin is primarily allowing your barrel to tilt/cam up/down, there shouldn't be enough force on it to break it.

Check your barrel to see if something is binding. 

I’m not sure what to check honestly. I have looked at both the barrel and the frame and I don’t see any harsh edges or anything that is alarming me. 

I'm shooting a 185gr precision bullet over 3.x gr titegroup. Winchester primers.

It just depends. They do completely break in half though and if my hand is in the right place it will keep it in place and I can usually get through a stage. If not it will keep the gun slightly out of batter but not for every shot. What load are you using?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I like CGW and their products, but I could care less if my pistol sends brass to the moon, so long as my sights settle as fast as possible so I can get the next shot off quicker. The longevity of my parts is not figured in my hit factor for a stage. I'll stick to my major PF loads with a 10-11 lb recoil spring. If the OP is breaking slide stops constantly, their is either something wrong with his pistol or his chrono, because that is very atypical.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Someday I hope to shoot so well that the recoil spring become important to my hit factor. Or perhaps admitting that the recoil spring is important to your hit factor is tacit admittal you should practice more. Either way...

Edited by 858