Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Spring rate set up for your 38 Super Open

tag129

30 minutes ago, bigboy69 said:

I was running a 15 or 16 lb main spring and a 10lb recoil spring. But a lot of other things come into factory on what springs you run.

30 minutes ago, bigboy69 said:

I was running a 15 or 16 lb main spring and a 10lb recoil spring. But a lot of other things come into factory on what springs you run.

Agree, I used to use 10 recoil and 19 main for my single stack.  

I’m going to a new div., is a different animal.   Thx 

1 hour ago, tag129 said:

When you use 8 on recoil, Do you feel like you are waiting for the slide to close? 

Heck no. Most everybody I know shooting Open uses an 8 or even a 7. 

12 minutes ago, tag129 said:

Really.  That’s good to know, I might try that too.  

Don't go to light or you'll beat the hell out of your gun. You don't want your brass ejecting 10ft away from you, then your spring is too light. Your comp, popple holes, weight of your slide, etc come into factor to determine your recoil spring weight. Don't just be "cool" and run a light spring just to say so.

I try to get my brass to fly about 4-5 ft away from my gun

52 minutes ago, bigboy69 said:

Don't go to light or you'll beat the hell out of your gun. You don't want your brass ejecting 10ft away from you, then your spring is too light. Your comp, popple holes, weight of your slide, etc come into factor to determine your recoil spring weight. Don't just be "cool" and run a light spring just to say so.

I try to get my brass to fly about 4-5 ft away from my gun

Hi big boy69, 

I will have 7-10lb springs on hand and find the best one that will work best for the gun.  Thanks for the info. 

46 minutes ago, tag129 said:

Hi big boy69, 

I will have 7-10lb springs on hand and find the best one that will work best for the gun.  Thanks for the info. 

The flattest my Cheely Open gun ever shot was with a 7# spring. It put my pairs closer together than any other spring. BUT I had to keep the gun spotless or it would hiccup. I don’t like to clean after every match so I went back to an 8# variable per Matt’s recommendation. 

7 minutes ago, Sarge said:

The flattest my Cheely Open gun ever shot was with a 7# spring. It put my pairs closer together than any other spring. BUT I had to keep the gun spotless or it would hiccup. I don’t like to clean after every match so I went back to an 8# variable per Matt’s recommendation. 

That’s what I’m thinking too.  

Would you mind share your load data. 

I thinking of using HS6 or Accurate 7.  

10 minutes ago, tag129 said:

That’s what I’m thinking too.  

Would you mind share your load data. 

I thinking of using HS6 or Accurate 7.  

I am a fan of AutoComp. I run 7.8 WAC WITH MG 115JHP or 7.4 with MG 121IFP. Both at around 1.167

1 hour ago, Sarge said:

I am a fan of AutoComp. I run 7.8 WAC WITH MG 115JHP or 7.4 with MG 121IFP. Both at around 1.167

I think that's a 9 major load, and I beleave he is asking for 38s. I shoot 38sc load is 8.7 HS6 with PD 124 JHP oal is 1.230, 172pf. That's out of my atlas chaos. Oh and 8# recoil spring with 17# mainspring. 

Edited by Steelix

3 minutes ago, Steelix said:

I think that's a 9 major load, and I beleave he is asking for 38s. I shoot 38sc load is 8.7 HS6 with PD 124 JHP oal is 1.230, 172pf. That's out of my atlas chaos. Oh and 8# recoil spring with 17# mainspring. 

Ah yes I realize that now. Yes I passed along 9MAJOR data.

34 minutes ago, Steelix said:

30 minutes ago, Sarge said:

31 minutes ago, Sarge said:

No worry 

36 minutes ago, Steelix said:

Thx