Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Proper size for Popple holes

Bwilmot

9mm is fine, it's more dependent on how fast your barrel shoots, and what components you're using.  What load are you currently shooting? at what PF?

If drilling holes forces you to switch to a heavier bullet or a faster powder to make major, you're not gaining anything by drilling them.

6.8 wac under 124 170pf. Or 7.2 wac under 115 168pf.   It’s a fairly fast barrel and I’ve only have a 2 chamber comp.  I’m thinking I should only have to add a few 1/10th to maintain the same pf.  Or I should say hopefully lol 

1D7F7025-7EA9-4565-81C0-13AC853E7A4C.jpeg

15 minutes ago, kneelingatlas said:

I assume you're looking to make your gun shoot flatter correct?  I suggest you try slower powder first, HS6, AA7 or 3N38

9.3 aa7 under 124 168pf and the dot makes A figure 8 type movement same with 9.7 under a 115 but worse.   Haven’t tried hs6.   I was thinking once I get the barrel holes to go revisit aa7 again.    With wac the dot moves straight up and down.  

1 hour ago, mro111lland said:

You need side ports in the comp I had the same figure 8 problem til I put them in now is straight up and down

I’m also changing over to a DPP to help my grip.  I liked the90deg but I feel it was crowding my support hand enough to screw with my grip.  

I just built a commander length open gun and I have 3, 3/16 holes and 6, 1/8 holes. 

It makes 172ish PF with 10.2gr of 3n38 and a 124PD. 

Just depends on what you want to do really in my opinion. I like lots of holes and this barrel was fast enough I could do it. 

Caution in going randomly bigger in drill size. Remember that the area of a circle goes a the radius squared (radius x radius), so the difference in area between a 1/8 inch hole (.05 square inches) and a 1/4 inch hole (.2 square inches ) is that the 1/4 inch hole is 4 times bigger.  That said I went with three 1/8 inch holes to flatten out my 9 major trubor  hs6 9.4grains 115 RN.

I tried one hole and it helped with flip a little. I added the other two and it is flat.