Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CZ Limited & Standard guns

Kevin Kline

Anybody know which one Matthew Mink and Angus use?

I saw the CZ's at the table at Nats. The one I thought was awesome was the CZ Standard, I believe was the name. Tanfoglio makes one just like it. It has a full dust cover, flat trigger that hangs down and built in magwell.

The CZ rep there said the trigger was stock, right out of the box. If so, its the best Ive ever felt out of the box. It was as good or better than my custom trigger jobs. The trigger had almost no takeup, was no more than 1.5lbs and slight overtravel.

That one made me think.

Kevin wrote: "The CZ rep there said the trigger was stock, right out of the box. If so, its the best Ive ever felt out of the box. It was as good or better than my custom trigger jobs. The trigger had almost no takeup, was no more than 1.5lbs and slight overtravel. That one made me think. "

Kevin - I own 2 of these guns & Vlad D. above (dv8) also owns one; the triggers do indeed come that light & they actually lighten up slightly once they are broken in. Vlad an I both have about 10 to 15K rounds through our guns (the Standard IPSC model) and have shot them in competition against the usuall STI/SVs.

I own an SV .40 and can directly compare the two. With Robin Taylor's mag extensions, the CZ holds about 19 rounds & is reloadable; I once got 20 ina mag with a cut-down SV competition follower but it did not attach to the spring.

These are durable guns. With the stock CZ buffers installed, me & Vlad are on our 1st slide stops (gun comes with spares). I think that the extras are for the guys in Europe shooting higher power factor .40. Also, there is one report of the very early barrels having a problem with home-cast lead bullets. Are you a bullet caster? I am not & none of our guns have had any barrel problems.

The triggers last too. Like the STI, the trigger is polymer and adjustable in 2 dimensions without disassembly.

The gun is heavy. However, it is also very very accurate and reliable. Question is, is it BETTER than an STI/SV?? I would not say that. However, with a little grip tape & some extenstions for the 3 included mags, I believe it is equal to an STI for Limited. I bought both of mine used for $700 each (retail is about $1100). I got 2 guns for the price of 1 brand new STI Edge (that does not come with mags or the tuning they so often need). It is a gun to consider.

D.

Forgot to add that there is a website with more info on the gun you saw (called a "TS" or Tactical/Sports" which is nearly identical to our "Standard IPSC" guns). This is by the home-bullet caster who had some barrel problems: www.strictlyIPSC.com). Also look at the link on the page for "MatFakta" for accesories.

Don't bite my head off, but make sure that you shoot one or two before you purchase one. You would think that a pistol that big and heavy would be a soft shooter, but from my experience it kicked like a mule.

Before you think I am crazy, let me tell you what I did.

I shot (5) pistols back to back to decide on which one I liked better. The same handloaded (169PF) ammo was used for each pistol as a baseline.

Custom 6" STI (Not fat free)

Custom 5" STI (Standard Dustcover)

Custom 5" STI (Edge like)

Brazo's BCP Pro

CZ IPSC Standard

In order of most felt/perceived recoil first to softest felt/perceived recoil.

Brazo's

CZ

STI Standard

STI Edge

STI 6"

I felt the Brazo's the and CZ were very similar in felt recoil (Alot), although the Brazo's felt faster on transistions and better in the hand. The edge and the Standard Dustcover felt very similar (softer), and the 6" was felt just like a (.22) although it was heavy and slow.

I know (4) guys at my club that shoot the CZ and love it, moral of the story, shoot one before you buy if you can to see if you do like it. (2) of the (4) guys have since sold the CZ to go the STI route because of the recoil issue.

Sasquatch - you tested them & published your findings; for that I think you deserve thanks. Thanks.

I installed a Sprinco recoil reducer in one of my CZs & I think its close to on par with my SV limited gun as far as recoil and splits; there might be a little more recoil with the other (non sprinco) CZ now that you mention it; I have not played around with spring weights on the CZ like I have with the SV. Also, I simply load 180 grn bullets over N320 at an OAL to fit the Standard IPSC (Max about 1.170").

In sum, once the Sprinco was installed, I found the recoil comparable to the STI/SV or just slightly heavier with my loads.

As for phsical size - no argument there; the Standard IPSC is a LARGE gun & one should try to handle one before taking the plunge. Thanks for your input.

D.

The older Standar IPSC came with 4 terrible 10 round mags. The new CZ TS comes with 3 of the IPSC Box rule legal 17 round mags. Robin Taylor makes a plus 2/ plus 3 extension to bring capacity in line with the STI/SV.

Like the STI though, they don't give you the 140mm mag extensions for free with the gun; you have to buy them seperatly. Still a lot less $$$ than SV/STI mags though.

I bought one (original IPSC Standard version) for a Limited gun, but I have yet to use it in a match. Love the trigger, the recoil is quick and snappy which I also like, but I can't easily reach the safety lever-the grip is just too big for my short thumb. If it had a 1911 type extended safety instead of that European style lever it would be perfect. I have thought about trying to get a gunsmith to make me one. I have 4 of the older 16 round magazines with Taylor +2 extensions to give 18. Anybody know if you will be able to buy the new followers so I could get 19 or 20?

Where I can I get Hi-Cap mags? I bought a CZ IPSC Standard and it came with 3 Hi-Cap mags and 3 10 round Mags. But I would like to get at least two more mags. Let me know. Thanks.

If anyone in or near NW Indiana has one of these, I'll pay you to let me put a couple mags through it. I also saw the CZ table at the Nats in 04 and though this thing was super comfy in the hand. Very few shops around my area carry CZ at all, and those that do have a crappy selection.

" I have thought about trying to get a gunsmith to make me one [extended safety]".

Thought about it too - turns out that the best bet might be to modify a Springfield Armory P9/ tanfoglio extended safety from EAA. These use a different detent system than CZ & I have not verified the dimensions of CZ v. Tanfoglio; I know that some other dim.s are different (trigger pin, extractor pin, etc.) but I think there is potential.

"Where I can I get Hi-Cap mags? I bought a CZ IPSC Standard and it came with 3 Hi-Cap mags and 3 10 round Mags. But I would like to get at least two more mags. Let me know. Thanks."

I last bought tubes for $32 direct from CZ-USA. They should have the 18 rounders for $45 complete - though without the 140 basepads (I would suspect that the new box-rule 18s would easily hold 20 with a 140mm basepad). www.cz-usa.com

D.C. Johnson

Here is a picture of one of the guns we are talking about (a Standard IPSC with Robin Taylor's mag extension installed)

site1008.JPG

I have since added grip tape over a set of modified CZ-75 grips and a Sprinco. The new TS is almost the same gun with a fixed sight & 18 round factory mag.

Is either one better or improved over the other between the Std IPSC and the TS..

I noticed the major difference seems to be the rear sight ..adj. vs fixed.. any other changes...

how heavy is the gun as compared to like an STI Edge???

thanks for info

"I noticed the major difference seems to be the rear sight ..adj. vs fixed.. any other changes..."

Correct. I beleive one of the dimensions at the front of either the dust cover or slide was altered so that the slides/frames are not interchangeable, but most other parts should interchange between Standard IPSC and TS. Magazine capacity & sights are the big changes.

"how heavy is the gun as compared to like an STI Edge???"

Believe its on the order of 43 Oz (it is heavy, but comparable to S_I). I find that it soaks up recoil quite effectively.

D.C. Johnson

Shot my CZ Standard IPSC today. BOY the trigger is light. It also has some pretty good recoil with factory ammo. I ordered a Sprinco recoil reducer today. I have not started to reload for 40 s&w yet, but I am going to start. :)

"I have not started to reload for 40 s&w yet, but I am going to start."

A key number to remember with the Standard IPSC is that the OAL (cartridge length) is limited by the magazines.

The CZ's magazine is LONGER than a regular 75 or glock, but is shorter than a 1911/STI. Why does this matter?

Many of the .40 loads for USPSA & IPSC you will find here on BE.com and Jeff Maass reloading site specify a length of 1.200". This length will not fit in a Standard IPSC.

The max length for Standard IPSC is about 1.170"

I have been able to load to that length (and no shorter please) and exceed Major with 4.6 to 4.8 grns of N-320 and Federal small pistol primers.

You can also follow many book loads with Titegroup and load shorter than 1.170" while still exceeding Major.

D.C. Johnson