Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Introducing: Project Nemesis

Rudukai13

23 hours ago, Rudukai13 said:

Interesting info on the difference between standard and X-Series slide dimensions. Gorgeous P07! Any more pictures of it? Is it as fun to shoot as my P320 has turned out to be?

It's a hoot and a half to shoot, tracks very nicely even with 124gr NATO ammo, and my standard 145gr production ammo is just silly. I imagine the 320 version would be just as nice, based on my non-comped guns. I may have to borrow the Primary Machine comp off the P07 and try.

I only have one other photo of the gun handy, mostly showing the serrations on top of the slide. The front serrations on the P07 don't lend themselves well to actually working for me (due to the angled sides), but adding the ones on the top helped quite a bit. The web of my hand has something to bite in to now.

poCvl5e.jpg

• Replies 600
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ha! If only. I seem to have been going through about 300 rounds per hour in my prior trips to the range, and that pile is 1,000 rounds of WWB 124gr NATO spec loads.

I will probably slow down on putting rounds through the comped configuration at least for a couple weeks though as I shift to T&E on the new compact configuration.

I'll be at the range again this Friday and will be able to put the first rounds down the pipe of the new compact gun

Eh the appeal was more in having a compact-sized frame with more similar ergonomics to the X-Carry frame. After adding up how much money I've spent on just the gun and parts for this project already though - Not including ammo or holsters - I think I'm good for now...

1 hour ago, Rudukai13 said:

Eh the appeal was more in having a compact-sized frame with more similar ergonomics to the X-Carry frame. After adding up how much money I've spent on just the gun and parts for this project already though - Not including ammo or holsters - I think I'm good for now...

If I wanted to go that route I'd probably gamble the $60 or whatever it is and try to cut it down myself. I wouldn't do all the other stuff they are talking about; just cut down the frame and stipple the grip. 

Moved some things around in my schedule and got back to the range this evening to put the first rounds through the new Compact setup;

- Fired about 450 rounds total, with about 250 through the Compact configuration. Rounds were a mix of standard pressure 115/124/147gr FMJ and randomly selected JHP, plus some of the WWB 124gr NATO and a little bit of the Hornady Critical Duty 124gr +P for comparison

- Absolutely zero malfunctions of any kind through either configuration

- Being able to shoot the compensated and non-compensated setups side by side with the same ammo really puts the effectiveness of the comp into perspective. I very much appreciate the effect it's having, particularly on the hotter loads

- The Compact configuration ran reliably on every combination of bullet weight, pressure level, and ran all the JHP rounds just fine (as was expected from effectively a stock 9mm modern duty pistol). Personally, I liked the recoil profile and controllability of the standard pressure 124gr and 147gr loads the most

- I ran the Underwood Xtreme Penetrator 115gr +P and +P+ rounds through the compensated setup, and they functioned flawlessly. I won't be changing to those as my preferred defensive load from the Critical Duty 124gr +P any time soon, but curiosity satisfied at least

My next step will be to get a selection of more standard pressure 124gr and 147gr JHP loads to do more reliability testing and down-select from the pool of reliable loads for my one or two preferred defensive rounds. As with the comped configuration though, it is nice to see that the pistol will run reliably on any load I happen to feed it.

Also - People look at you very skeptically when you disassemble your gun multiple times over on the line...

IMG_2321.JPG

Well...Staying true to my nature of not being able to leave damn well enough alone, I went and bought a "minimalist" magwell for the Compact grip module.

This is the ANR Designs ANVL magwell and base pad for the P320. They say it will fit the standard Fullsize, Carry, and Compact grip modules with the Medium grip circumference.

Attaches by press-fit and retains with a screw through the lanyard hole in the backstrap of the grip module. Unlike other magwells on the market, this one requires no permanent modification to your grip module and is easily removable by removing the set screw.

The magwell only adds about 1/8-1/4" of length to the bottom of the rear of the grip module, which should allow it to remain fairly concealable.

I've only just received and installed this new part so I will have to do further testing but so far I like how it helps my grip stay in place on the Compact grip module and gives my pinky finger something more substantial to leverage against. I will of course be testing this new addition thoroughly both at the range and for how well it conceals over the next couple of weeks and will report back with any issues or observations.

Of note, the basepad to be used with the magwell does not extend the capacity of the magazine (in this case, 15 rounds); it just replaces the factory plastic basepad which does not work with the ANVL magwell;

IMG_2375.JPG

Another trip to the range is in order for this afternoon. I'm interested to see how the addition of the magwell to the Compact grip module changes the feel during shooting. I will report back on any interesting findings, of course

Back from the range, with unfortunately not as much of an update as I was hoping to have;

About two magazines into testing the Compact configuration the front lip of the magwell slipped off of the front of the grip module...I  cleared the gun, hammered the magwell against the table at the range a couple times and went back to shooting - And then it slipped off again. So, while I did shoot another 250 rounds today, the majority was just through the compensated setup with the X-Series grip module and magwell (which has stayed solid throughout all my testing and again functioned flawlessly today).

Got home and tried removing and resetting the magwell on the Compact grip module, including tapping it fairly firmly with a rubber mallet more than a few times. It seems to be much more firmly seated on the grip module now, as I can't pry the front of the magwell off of the front of the grip with my hand. I will have to try another range trip soon to get a proper amount of testing done.

I may reach out to ANR Designs before then to make sure there's not some extra step or trick I'm missing to get the magwell seated properly. For now unfortunately that's all I've got for everyone...