Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Introducing: Project Nemesis

Rudukai13

Found myself with enough free time tonight to make it to the range again. No major updates as I wasn't testing anything new. Shot another 500 rounds, which brings the tally on this system over 3,000. Still no malfunctions to speak of. I did spend the vast majority of my time shooting at 25 yards tonight. I hate - HATE - shooting pistols at 25 yards, but I need to work on my accuracy at distance and throttle control as ranges extend tends to be my biggest issue. Stil have a long way to go there, but at least I'm working on it...

I'm also realizing at this rate I'll be going through the most recent 1,100 rounds of 124gr NATO at quite a fast pace, so another order for an additional 1,100 rounds is in with PSA

• Replies 600
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Rudukai13 said:

Remember that whole thing about not being able to leave well enough alone...?

IMG_2809.JPG

I’m interested to hear how it is the Grayguns kit and trigger is awesome but not for carryfor sure.  I have a Alex only trigger in one 320it

feels good but interested in pull weight you get with full kit

According to Apex's information it should not significantly reduce the pull weight from stock, particularly in the X-Series guns. This is mostly just to reduce take-up and over-travel.

I'll be waiting to install the trigger until I get the Romeo1 shroud kit (any day now, Optics Planet...) so I can take both items to my gunsmith to have them installed and have the optic re-zeroed by a steadier hand than mine

1 hour ago, 021411 said:

Finally! I just checked their site and it’s still backordered. They must be fulfilling orders little at a time. Do post plenty of pics. 

I'll be taking the shroud kit and the Apex trigger to my gunsmith, likely next week, to have them installed and have the optic re-zeroed at 25yds with specifically the Hornady Critical Duty 124gr +P ammo (better to have someone with a steadier hand do it rather than myself)

Certainly a possibility, and that's not to say I've NEVER seen brass bounce off the optic - In the grainy slow-mo video I took of the first test shots with the comp to see recoil impulse there's definitely at least one round where the optic hits the brass on its way back into battery. It just doesn't seem to be a significant enough issue in my case for me to be particularly concerned.

The reason I purchased the shroud kit is due to Aaron Cowan's drop test results from his Romeo1 test. That being said, I use this gun as a defensive pistol too - So shattering the optic lens could have more dire results in my case than just blowing a stage at a match...

Had time to go to the range again tonight, so I burned through another 400 rounds which brings the total count on the system to just under 3,500. Still no malfunctions to speak of. Nothing significant about the trip tonight beyond getting some trigger time in.

I did get to take a look at (not shoot, just handle and dryfire) a civvie M17 that the range had gotten in recently. Feels about the same as a normal P320. The safety is well designed and positioned to rest your thumb on and the trigger was good. I have to admit I wasn't particularly interested in picking one up initially, but I may change my mind further down the line particularly when demand drops a bit and the price reduces.

The Romeo1 shroud kit should be here this week, at which time I'll take the pistol to my gunsmith to have them install the shroud and the Apex trigger kit and re-zero the optic with the Critical Duty 124gr +P ammo at 25 yards. Following that I will have a more substantive update!

Alright, so I returned the X300U-A and have the B on the way. Glad that one will lock on securely. Sucks it’s $60 more. 

I still need to order a holster, I don’t particularly plan on carrying the gun often. I usually just carry my G26. But with winter coming, I can probably conceal it under a leather motorcycle jacket. Probably gonna go with the Tier 1 Agis. I haven’t done the barrel swap and comp yet, but that will be next. If I choose the threaded barrel option, will the comp clear the holster? I know you had one custom made to shield the comp, what did you ask for and how much extra was it? Also, they recommend the rounds face the gun, that seems counter intuitive to me, seems like I’d have to rotate the mag in my hand to reload. What extension did you choose, the TT +5 is right between their +4 and +6 option. 

I think I’m going to run without the Romeo for awhile. Just for consistency across all my firearms. I’ve never used a red dot on a pistol. Maybe one day, but I’m not even gonna worry about having the holster made to accommodate the sight. 

Also still need to order an X-Five module for the weight and magwell. And two +5s and one +2 mag extension.

Still have a lot to do, but I’m just going to place a massive ~$1000 order for everything at once. So far the gun has been fantastic stock, fits my hand like nothing else I’ve handled. Can’t wait to see how it performs with all the mods. I know you prefer the compact grip module, I haven’t tried one, but I can’t imagine anything quite as perfect, for me, as the X Series grip. 

On 9/28/2018 at 1:55 AM, Rudukai13 said:

The reason I purchased the shroud kit is due to Aaron Cowan's drop test results from his Romeo1 test. That being said, I use this gun as a defensive pistol too - So shattering the optic lens could have more dire results in my case than just blowing a stage at a match...

I saw the video to  and right now i haven't put enough rounds thru it to trust it for carry .. be interested in what you think of the shroud once its mounted.  ive switched to 10mm sine i will be in the woods quite a bit from now to December  want a more power incase i run into a sow with cubs i have 3 different ones on my cameras so i know they are around 

2 hours ago, EricZ said:

I still need to order a holster, I don’t particularly plan on carrying the gun often. I usually just carry my G26. But with winter coming, I can probably conceal it under a leather motorcycle jacket. Probably gonna go with the Tier 1 Agis. I haven’t done the barrel swap and comp yet, but that will be next. If I choose the threaded barrel option, will the comp clear the holster? I know you had one custom made to shield the comp, what did you ask for and how much extra was it? Also, they recommend the rounds face the gun, that seems counter intuitive to me, seems like I’d have to rotate the mag in my hand to reload. What extension did you choose, the TT +5 is right between their +4 and +6 option. 

I think I’m going to run without the Romeo for awhile. Just for consistency across all my firearms. I’ve never used a red dot on a pistol. Maybe one day, but I’m not even gonna worry about having the holster made to accommodate the sight. 

Also still need to order an X-Five module for the weight and magwell. And two +5s and one +2 mag extension.

Still have a lot to do, but I’m just going to place a massive ~$1000 order for everything at once. So far the gun has been fantastic stock, fits my hand like nothing else I’ve handled. Can’t wait to see how it performs with all the mods. I know you prefer the compact grip module, I haven’t tried one, but I can’t imagine anything quite as perfect, for me, as the X Series grip. 

I would email T1C and explain what you're wanting first. They had me add a note to my eventual order that the pistol included a short compensator, the same overall profile of the slide and extending to about the same length as the end of the X300U bezel. You should specify whether you just want the muzzle end of the holster left open to allow the comp to pass-through, or that you want additional kydex to shield your body from the comp as I did. The extra shielding did not cost me any more than the price of a non-custom holster as specced. I would go with their recommendation re; round orientation in the spare mag carrier. It might not make sense on paper, but in practice it is extremely intuitive and ergonomic to index the spare magazine and bring it up to the pistol without having to re-orient it in your hand. My Axis holster is specifically the  P320 Compact model, meaning the spare magazine carrier is molded for the Compact 15-round magazines. I however carry a Fullsize 17-round magazine with a TTI +5 base pad on it, bringing the overall capacity to 23 rounds or +8 over the 15-round magazine that the holster was originally intended for. Therefore, I chose to have them mold it for the largest extension they list (the +6 option), and that makes the 23-round magazine stick up about perfectly even with the beavertail of the pistol when both are in the hoster.

As for my preference for the standard Compact grip module over the X-Series grip, I have smallish-medium hands so the Compact grip with magwell just fits my hands better. Those with larger hands would almost certainly prefer the fullsize X-Series grip. Another advantage of the Compact grip module is that it's considerably more concealable (even with the addition of the ESP magwell) for my body type and stature than the X-Series grip was

Need thoughts/opinions: I'm trying to decide what caliber to go with for this second build. Since it'll be using a frame-mounted optic, I don't have to use one of the RX slides from Sig which are all 9mm - Which means I have a choice of calibers.

I could stick with 9mm, which will mean I'll be able to use all the magazines I currently have, or I could go for a 357SIG slide assembly for a little extra oomph, and which will also work a compensator better...

What's everyone think, stick with the same caliber or bump it up a notch for the hell of it? Purpose of this second build is just a fun range toy and experimenting further with the platform, not for any serious/defensive use

14 minutes ago, Rudukai13 said:

Need thoughts/opinions: I'm trying to decide what caliber to go with for this second build. Since it'll be using a frame-mounted optic, I don't have to use one of the RX slides from Sig which are all 9mm - Which means I have a choice of calibers.

I could stick with 9mm, which will mean I'll be able to use all the magazines I currently have, or I could go for a 357SIG slide assembly for a little extra oomph, and which will also work a compensator better...

What's everyone think, stick with the same caliber or bump it up a notch for the hell of it? Purpose of this second build is just a fun range toy and experimenting further with the platform, not for any serious/defensive use

I wonder if a smith could make it supercomp, that could be cool.  Still use the same mags 

8 minutes ago, chenault said:

I wonder if a smith could make it supercomp, that could be cool.  Still use the same mags 

38SC requires a large frame pistol in order to function, like 45ACP/10mm. It wouldn't fit in the 9mm magazines. The only reason I'm considering 357SIG is because it would fit in OEM 40S&W mags and it functions in the small frame FCU