Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Introducing: Project Nemesis

Rudukai13

I must admit, in the weeks since the RS320 had been at my 'smith I had forgotten just how well the Compact grip module with ESP magwell marries the pistol to my hand. It's like the damn thing was sculpted specifically for my fingers

• Replies 600
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Further thoughts on the Apex trigger kit - It is as advertised. The actual break and pull weight of the trigger hasn't changed from stock (comparing my memory of how this particular trigger felt stock and to the other stock X-Series FCU trigger I have), which was to be expected since no springs were changed and the sear surfaces weren't modified. It has less than half of the take-up of the stock trigger with less than one millimeter of movement before you hit the wall, and overtravel is slightly reduced as well. For a carry/defensive gun, I'd say the feel is just about perfect.

Further thoughts on the Romeo1 optic shroud - It's tough. It extends in front of the lens of the optic, so unless approached by a convex surface the shroud will take any bumps/hits directly rather than the optic body or lens. I haven't and won't do a shoulder height drop to concrete (at least not intentionally), but I have used the shroud to rack the pistol off a table - It damaged the table, not the shroud.

For the purposes of parts and modifications, barring a decision to send the grip modules off for stippling/frame work, I believe I am at this point comfortable in calling the RS320 completed.

But you all know how it goes when you follow the Hail Hydra school of gun builds; "Finish one project - Two more shall take its place..."

IMG_3215.JPG

16 hours ago, Rudukai13 said:

But you all know how it goes when you follow the Hail Hydra school of gun builds; "Finish one project - Two more shall take its place..."

This is the truest statement I have read on any gun forum in a long time.   It never ends!

Edited by nate89

Some additional information on the new pistol; Another X-Carry to be built into a backup/redundant pistol to the original RS320 (henceforth original build being RS320A, new pistol being RS320B). It will be mechanically identical to the RS320A, with some subtle aesthetic changes. The pistol was ordered from Omaha Outdoors, which offers custom cerakoting on some of the pistols they sell. This one was done in Black Multicam before being sent to me (this was the reason for the delay in shipping). An OD Green Compact grip module has been added to match the BMC on the slide. Why Black Multicam and ODG? Cause a little Multicam and ODG never hurt anyone (well, not directly...) and cause I wanted to do something subtle but a little bit more custom for this build.

As you can see in the attached picture, I already have a pile of parts ready to go on the pistol and more on the way, including a new 1,000 lumen X300U-B. The grip module will need to go out to Springer Precision to have their ESP magwell installed, and I'll need to drop the gun off with my gunsmith for fitting of the Bar-Sto barrel and installation of the Romeo1 shroud.

Another Apex trigger kit will be on the list as well as soon as I have the funds for it. Since this pistol will be functionally identical to the RS320A, I will probably not go through quite as complex a test for ammo selection, rather simply ensuring that the RS320B eats Winchester 124gr NATO and Hornady Critical Duty 124gr +P as well as the original (no reason to believe it would not, but always good to double check anyway).

As for the CW320, I'm still waiting for the modified mount components from Carver Custom, but should be hearing about that relatively soon. Of course I'll need the optic (a Holosun HS503C is the mounting plate I currently have on the mount, but Carver offers different plates for every popular MRDS on the market if I change my mind). Depending on what Carver is able to put together with the modified optic mount parts, there may or may not be provision for a WML, which in all likelihood would be another X300U. I'm leaning more towards branching out and trying some different components for the CW320, looking at a threaded barrel from Faxon and a different comp which would be bulkier but provide better compensation than the Springer "shorty" utilized on the RS320s. I do intend to send the CW320 slide off to Jagerwerks for serrations, front window cut, and cerakote (note the new FDE Compact grip module for a preview of where the aesthetics on that pistol are headed). It will also be sent to Springer for installation of their magwell, though I will probably go with the larger Open magwell on that build since concealment isn't a consideration as it is on the RS320. Rounding out that build will be an aftermarket trigger kit, either another Apex or perhaps the GrayGuns kit that includes a worked-over sear and different springs.

Of course, I'll also be on the lookout for any new and interesting aftermarket products that can provide tangible benefit to the platform. But as of right now, this is the roadmap for the in-progress builds.

2019 is going to be an expensive year...

IMG_3251.JPG

Back from another session at the range. RS320B is in the hands of my 'smith for barrel fitting and installation of the optic shroud, and RS320A has just ticked over the 4,000 round count with still no malfunctions to report.

On a cleaning/maintenance note - This Otis Ripcord has been incredible for bore cleaning considering the permanently attached comp. Just tilt the barrel out of the slide, spray a bit of solvent down the bore, wait a couple minutes, two passes with the Ripcord and good to go. Combined with spotscrubbing where necessary, it makes maintenance of the pistol extremely fast and easy;

IMG_3302.JPG

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

In fairness to my gunsmith, the pistol was ready to be picked up on the 30th - I just didn't have time to get it until today.

Loctite is now drying for the compensator and the pistol will be in shootable condition tomorrow. The green in the slide and grip module is a bit more apparent with the contrast of the black comp, optic shroud, and X300U;

IMG_3398.JPG

Sometimes having an unpredictable work schedule is fun and exciting. Other times it means missing out on other plans like range time...Dammit. I'll have time to get to the range later this week though, shooting report on RS320B is coming!

Back from the range and the first 300 rounds through RS320B with zero malfunctions to report. Predominantly shot the Winchester FMJ rounds with about 50 Critical Duty, neither of which hiccuped. The pistol is shooting slightly low and right (confirmed it wasn't me flinching by shooting RS320A which is dead on), but that wasn't too surprising as it was only roughly zeroed after installation of the new barrel and optic shroud;

IMG_3451.JPG

• 2 weeks later...
46 minutes ago, Bud White said:

How are you liking the Shrouds i notice that no matter what ammo I'm using I'm seeing it hit the romeo 1  on my RX .. wondering if i will have the same issue if i use a romeo 1 on my X5 so thinking on the shroud now 

I like it. I don't really notice it while shooting, and I've never really had an issue with ejected brass striking the optic either way. I have not done any drop testing with it (and won't intentionally), but I've used the shroud to rack the slide off of tables and it hasn't shown any damage. I do appreciate the extra peace of mind it provides in the event the pistol takes any unexpected bumps or tumbles.

I would say it's worth getting if you're considering it, but you might also wait a bit to see what comes out about some of the new optics Sig's been mentioning lately, like the R1Pro, Romeo2, etc

Edited by Rudukai13

i don't see much need to upgrade if i can make what i have last .. Not sure why the Rx seems to catch it in the frame of the RX not like a 1911/2011 where you can easy tube extractor don't know how often it hits but i can see the marks where it has 

i have a second romeo 1 sitting here and deciding between it and a venom i also have sitting here to go on x5 no plate if i use romeo but need a plate for venom .. 

Sounds like Bobby Carver is going to be taking a little longer than expected to get the modified mount parts completed, so the CW320 may be going on the backburner for now. Not scrapped, just postponed.

Sitting here staring at my guns thinking about what else I'd like to do/where to take things from here. Some terribly interesting and expensive ideas going through my mind...I'm gonna need a bigger pistol safe. More soon

IMG_3565.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Apologies for being a bit slow with new updates lately for anyone still following, been waiting on work to pick back up to have the spending funds to finish up on RS320B. I should have at least another range trip update soon though - Still have plenty of 124gr NATO to burn through and more reliability testing to do on the B pistol

Another 300 rounds through RS320B without incident. Transferred over my spare X-Carry grip module to RS320A because my dad was shooting with me and he prefers the larger, full-length grip over the Compact. Also got to lay hands on a Walther Q5 Match SF at the retail side of the range - That is a nice gun, but it just makes me want a steel grip module for the P320 more...

I call this picture "Proof you can't buy skill";

IMG_3710.JPG

As a bit of a tease about what everyone can expect once work picks up again (should start happening this week), here are the titles from my current projects list;

- Finish RS320B (won't take long from this point)
- Sight-Tracker build (ST320)
- RS320C (same formula as the current RS320s, FDE/Coyote version)
- X-Five dedicated suppressor host

I did say this is going to be an expensive year...

• 2 weeks later...
20 hours ago, WhiteDingo said:

i'm curious where your ST320 is going; that could be an interesting 3Gun pistol for sure.

Did Carver give you a lead time on the modified parts, or is it "when I have time to get to it"?

Should be some time in March