Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Introducing: Project Nemesis

Rudukai13

15 hours ago, Rudukai13 said:

Any pictures of the P07? Sounds very nice!

I'm honestly surprised it took people as long as it has to realize that pistol compensators could have some useful functionality outside of competition...

I researched putting a comp on my FNX tactical a long while back, the general consensus was that they are a waste of money. I can't remember if it was because it was a big slow 45acp though...

• Replies 600
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have you shot it from retention (i.e., mag against your ribs, gun canted outward)?  I only ask because you originally mentioned this gun in a practical/tactical vein.  The first time I tried that position in an instinctive shooting class, the muzzle blast was surprising and unpleasant from that position with a standard 229.  With a comp, you'll be getting a lot of gas and particulate blown up towards your face.  Just something to consider.

1 hour ago, JAFO said:

Have you shot it from retention (i.e., mag against your ribs, gun canted outward)?  I only ask because you originally mentioned this gun in a practical/tactical vein.  The first time I tried that position in an instinctive shooting class, the muzzle blast was surprising and unpleasant from that position with a standard 229.  With a comp, you'll be getting a lot of gas and particulate blown up towards your face.  Just something to consider.

I have not personally shot this particular gun from retention yet, but this issue has been covered in fair detail on multiple forums. A good summary of the issue can be given through this video;

The general consensus is it won't exactly be pleasant, but it would be much less unpleasant than allowing whatever action is causing you to need to shoot from retention to occur

3 hours ago, mikek2111987 said:

I researched putting a comp on my FNX tactical a long while back, the general consensus was that they are a waste of money. I can't remember if it was because it was a big slow 45acp though...

A comp will technically work on any caliber - The question is whether it will work well enough to be worth the expense and added complexity. Generally speaking, standard .45ACP doesn't have enough gas pressure/volume to make any noticeable difference to the shooter. If, however, you were willing to designate your FNX45T as specifically a .450SMC or .460Rowland gun, you would see more benefit using a comp due to the increased pressures and gas volume;

http://www.doubletapammo.net/index.php?route=product/category&path=303_354

The .460Rowland conversion kit even comes with a compensator;

https://www.460rowland.com/product/fnx-conversion/

It's the same reason why I notice a considerable difference in my gun between 124gr standard pressure loads and 124gr +P loads; a given bullet weight + more gas = better compensation effect

1 hour ago, Rudukai13 said:

I have not personally shot this particular gun from retention yet, but this issue has been covered in fair detail on multiple forums. A good summary of the issue can be given through this video;

The general consensus is it won't exactly be pleasant, but it would be much less unpleasant than allowing whatever action is causing you to need to shoot from retention to occur

:roflol:Never heard the "you'll catch on fire" one before!  I don't doubt it's feasible.  I'm only suggesting you try it under controlled conditions so you know what to expect.  You can see on his face as he fires that he knows what's coming.

45 minutes ago, JAFO said:

:roflol:Never heard the "you'll catch on fire" one before!  I don't doubt it's feasible.  I'm only suggesting you try it under controlled conditions so you know what to expect.  You can see on his face as he fires that he knows what's coming.

Oh no absolutely agreed! I intend to put tens of thousands of rounds down the pipe of this setup, including using it as my go-to gun for any pistol training classes. I'll have plenty of opportunities to shoot it in a wide variety of scenarios under controlled and supervised settings

I imagine 44Mag has quite a bit more of a muzzle blast than 9mm, as well. It's certainly a factor to be aware of for some kinds of defensive shooting practices, but I think less of a concern than many previously expected

While getting ready for the range tomorrow i pulled out the tacops carry or as my iphone calls it Mini Taco  and the xcarry i picked up last week .. the barrels wont interchange so that hits a snag i was hoping to use the sig threaded barrel in the X carry ..This will delay things as i will have to think on a barrel and then try to find someone to fit it 

50 minutes ago, Bud White said:

While getting ready for the range tomorrow i pulled out the tacops carry or as my iphone calls it Mini Taco  and the xcarry i picked up last week .. the barrels wont interchange so that hits a snag i was hoping to use the sig threaded barrel in the X carry ..This will delay things as i will have to think on a barrel and then try to find someone to fit it 

The barrels won't swap? That's odd...The Bar-Sto barrel in my X-Carry is designed for the standard Compact but works perfectly (after being slightly fit by the gunsmith). It's possible the X-Series guns have tighter tolerances in the slide that are causing problems with the potentially more loosely-fit standard TacOps threaded barrel...

Sig does tout that the X-Five and X-Carry are more accurate due to tighter lockup and target crowns. Does the X-Carry barrel fit in your TacOps slide?

2 minutes ago, Rudukai13 said:

The barrels won't swap? That's odd...The Bar-Sto barrel in my X-Carry is designed for the standard Compact but works perfectly (after being slightly fit by the gunsmith). It's possible the X-Series guns have tighter tolerances in the slide that are causing problems with the potentially more loosely-fit standard TacOps threaded barrel...

Sig does tout that the X-Five and X-Carry are more accurate due to tighter lockup and target crowns. Does the X-Carry barrel fit in your TacOps slide?

ya know i didn't try it as i have a regular barrel for the tac ops .

but im sure it will look like the hood is wider by a decent amount on the tac ops.

The Barrel  wouldn't even try to get close to the breech face stopped right where the rear of the hood would start to go towards breech face .. and some googling took me  to a thread on sig talk where they said the barrels of the x carry wont interchange

1 minute ago, Bud White said:

ya know i didn't try it as i have a regular barrel for the tac ops .

but im sure it will look like the hood is wider by a decent amount on the tac ops.

The Barrel  wouldn't even try to get close to the breech face stopped right where the rear of the hood would start to go towards breech face .. and some googling took me  to a thread on sig talk where they said the barrels of the x carry wont interchange

Hmm...I was unaware. Unfortunately, it sounds like you may need to go the way of a Bar-Sto barrel and get it fitted by a 'smith as I did. If you choose to go that path, you can order through Springer Precision at the following link;

https://shop.springerprecision.com/product.sc?productId=446&categoryId=92

Make sure you select the Compact size and 1/2x28 9mm Compensator threading from the drop-down menues. The Compensator-specific threading extends out the front of the slide a shorter distance than the Suppressor-specific threading, which will provide for a smaller gap between the end of the slide and the rear of the compensator as can be seen on my gun

New gun, new callus. I've been dryfiring the s#!t out of this thing since the second range day. Should be able to get back to live fire over the next two days, standby for another update shortly...

IMG_1997.JPG

Apologies to everyone for not updating recently, I haven't yet had the chance to get back to the range to do my 124gr +P testing. I will however be going back this Saturday, and to prepare I'm looking for suggestions from everyone on various 124gr +P loads that I should round up to consider. I've got a list running, I will be purchasing at least one box of each of the loads listed and any others that are suggested (provided I can find them on store shelves, of course);

- Hornady Critical Duty (manufacturer part #90216)
- Winchester PDX1 (manufacturer part #S9MMPDB)
- Speer Gold Dot (manufacturer part #23617)
- Federal HST (manufacturer part #P9HST3)

Any other suggestions that I should look for while I make my rounds to the local ammo suppliers?

Well, after stopping by the first two stores in my rounds, I began to realize that for this particular test I would be limited by what I was able to find on store shelves. I purchased a sample of every 124gr +P load I could find between four different suppliers and it still wasn't exactly what I'd listed, but I'd say three different types of loads in that category, plus some Winchester White Box 124gr NATO-spec FMJ, plus two different types of 115gr +P JHP loads (slightly more than 400 rounds in total) should be plenty for a good testing tomorrow;

IMG_2065.JPG

Just got back from the range and dinner, fired a total of 350 rounds through the gun today bringing the running total to 900 rounds. My report;

- Absolutely zero malfunctions yet again, with all the different hollow points as well as 115/124gr standard pressure and 115/124gr +P rounds

- I'm starting to notice more subtle differences between the recoil of the different bullet weights and different gas pressures. For instance, the 124gr +P has slightly more muzzle flip than 115gr +P, but the 115gr +P loads have a sharper rearward "smack" against my hand

- I could not tell the difference between the Winchester 124gr NATO spec FMJ and any of the 124gr +P JHP loads, including with a magazine with a random mix of the NATO spec and two different kinds of the +P loads

- Due in no small part to the ergonomics of the underling P320 X-Carry frame, I'm able to control the recoil of every load very well and they all settle very naturally back on target without any additional input to the gun from me

- The POA/POI shift through the range of ammo from 115gr standard pressure up to 124gr +P is negligible between 3 and 15 yards - Any small shift that is there is being masked by the natural variance in my own accuracy capability, while still being able to put a full 26-round magazine of every different load I had randomly mixed together into a fist-sized grouping at 10 yards shooting with about .5 second splits

Given this information, the system's stellar reliability across all tested loads, and factoring in various ballistics tests I've seen online, I think I've settled on the Hornady Critical Duty 124gr +P loads as my preferred JHP round, while I'll be using the Winchester 124gr NATO spec FMJ as my primary range/practice ammo. The recoil impulse profile is identical between the two rounds and they both provide for what I prefer in terms of overall muzzle flip, how hard the gun pushes directly rearward back into my hand, and having the dot drop precisely back onto target after the round is fired. I'll be purchasing both these loads in bulk online over the coming weeks, and getting the optic specifically zeroed to the Hornady loads thereafter.

ETA: Any day that ends with a blister on your trigger finger was a good day...

IMG_2072.JPG

Edited by Rudukai13

7 hours ago, Wisemenofgotham said:

Awesome, thanks for the updates!  I purchase my ammo online in bulk usually, Speer Lawman/Blazer Brass for range ammo, Federal HST +P for defensive loads.

Usually I try to rely on and support local stores but since the loads that work best in this gun are rather specific it just makes sense to order bulk digitally. It is nice to know the gun will run reliably on any load from 115gr standard pressure up, so if my preferred rounds aren't available for whatever reason I can just buy from the range or local Cabela's, but will also be nice to have a stockpile of stuff that the optic is more precisely zeroed with

Happy 4th of July everyone! I'll be celebrating our independence and the freedoms I enjoy as an American citizen the way I normally do, at the range blasting little holes into paper and cardboard. I don't expect to have as thorough an update after today as my last few trips to the range, as I've completed my reliability and ammo comparison testing and I'll mostly just be shooting a bunch of WWB 124gr NATO spec FMJ rounds. If anything new or interesting comes up though I'll be sure to post about it here!

With today's range trip done this gun has just ticked over the 1,200 round mark and not an issue to mention. Well, maybe having to let the gun cool for five minutes because the trigger is too hot to touch might be considered an issue to some...But I'm not too concerned about it!

While I wait on the cases of Critical Duty 124gr +P and WWB 124gr NATO spec to arrive, I decided to purchase a box each of Underwood loaded 115gr Xtreme Penetrator rounds, one box of +P and one box of +P+. I'm slightly curious to see how the oddly shaped rounds feed and what difference in the recoil impulse I'll be able to tell between the +P/+P+ loads. Also of note; it starts to get annoying that JHP loads are generally sold in boxes of 20, when your magazines hold 23 and 27 rounds respectively...

IMPORTANT NOTE: I do NOT intend to use the XP rounds in any real defensive role, nor do I encourage the use of anything other than a well-engineered, reliable, traditional JHP round with a strong track record to be used for standard defensive purposes by anyone else. This is strictly an exercise in personal curiosity. When the gun is not at the range, it will be topped up with the excellent Hornady Critical Duty rounds which have proven performance in real-world defensive applications and have proven themselves 100% reliable in my specific pistol through extensive testing

IMG_2097.JPG

Edited by Rudukai13

New Safariland-compatible holster from QVO Tactical - Fit, finish, attachment, and draw are all fantastic. Adjustable retention. I'll have to run it in practice for a while but initial impressions lean towards being able to give a solid recommendation for them

IMG_2103.JPG

On 6/23/2018 at 12:24 AM, Rudukai13 said:

Hmm...I was unaware. Unfortunately, it sounds like you may need to go the way of a Bar-Sto barrel and get it fitted by a 'smith as I did. If you choose to go that path, you can order through Springer Precision at the following link;

https://shop.springerprecision.com/product.sc?productId=446&categoryId=92

Make sure you select the Compact size and 1/2x28 9mm Compensator threading from the drop-down menues. The Compensator-specific threading extends out the front of the slide a shorter distance than the Suppressor-specific threading, which will provide for a smaller gap between the end of the slide and the rear of the compensator as can be seen on my gun

In this vein, it should be noted that the hood recess on the X series slides are smaller than the standard 320s. Having fit barrels to a couple of VTACs and XCarrys, the measurement seems to be about .008" off the width of a standard 320 hood to get it to fit on an X series slide. I spoke briefly with a Sig rep about that; the only information he was willing to give was that the standard 320 barrels are "not compatible". Seemed surprised that they could be made to work in the VTAC/XCarry.

Sorry to be late to the party. Here's a P07 "Rolland" to make up for it. Old school Trijicon/Shield Sights optic to boot. Same battery going on 5 years?

FPf5Q0F.jpg