Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Armalite 3gun upper: 13.5 vs 18"

Tarheelpwr

I'm looking to test the waters in 3Gun, so this seems like a logical upper to start.  I can read ballistics, but I was hoping for some real world feedback on how much the short barrel hurts long range shooting in a 3-gun setting.  Has it actually cost you, or is it the same ole same ole once you know your drops?

Basically, looking for input on which one is the better length to start with assuming only 1.  Would you rather maneuver obstacles with an 18" barrel, or would you rather shoot at distance with a 13.5: barrel?

A lot of it depends on your local matches or the style of matches you want to shoot.  If you plan to shoot matches with a lot of long range, the longer barrel would give you the benefit of less drop.  If your local matches are all bay style, then the 13.5" will be quicker transitioning and the drop due to loss in velocity won't be an issue.

Edited by 1981Shooter

It's a totally different animal, but I have one of their AR10 3-gun models with the 18" barrel and love it.

Dave Hartman from the 3-Gun show has a 13.5" .223 and loves his.  I think with the tuneable brake and adjustable gas the jumpiness can be minimized.

But yeah - the answer is "they're all good".  Choose what appeals to you and the matches you most frequently shoot and go with it.

2 minutes ago, Matt in TN said:

I think with the tuneable brake and adjustable gas the jumpiness can be minimized.

Lessened, not minimized. If you're used to shooting a rifle length gas system with low or ultra low mass parts, adjustable gas and an effective brake the 13.5 feels like shooting an AK in comparison.

On 3/7/2018 at 9:53 PM, TonytheTiger said:

Lessened, not minimized. If you're used to shooting a rifle length gas system with low or ultra low mass parts, adjustable gas and an effective brake the 13.5 feels like shooting an AK in comparison.

On 3/7/2018 at 9:53 PM, TonytheTiger said:

I had a 13.5 and it shot flatter and smoother then my 18" gun.

12 minutes ago, Tarheelpwr said:

I don’t understand the physics of shooting flatter from a 13.5”. 

Me neither, both physics and experience say it's unlikely.

I regularly squad with one of the Armalite shooters, he could use whatever gun he wants but always uses an 18" even for bay matches. 

I would choose an 18" rifle gas over a 13.5" for everything. Maneuvering obstacles will not be a hinderance with the longer barrel and you will be able to use a longer hand guard, allowing you reach out and drive the gun better. Of course, this is my personal preference, you may like something different. 

Hurley

My son James shot one of the 13.5" Armalites and loved it. He had no trouble hitting out to 450 yards with it. Once you know your hold overs drop doesn't really matter. For those who remember the boat stage at FN a few years ago, he went one for one on those two awkward shots off the trailer hitch with it. 

3 hours ago, T Bacus said:

My son James shot one of the 13.5" Armalites and loved it. He had no trouble hitting out to 450 yards with it. Once you know your hold overs drop doesn't really matter. For those who remember the boat stage at FN a few years ago, he went one for one on those two awkward shots off the trailer hitch with it. 

That was a hell of a stage!  Damn I miss that match.

Thanks for all the feedback.  Seems like there is a lot of personal preference with the 2 lengths.   I figured there would be a more objective answer.  I think I'm going to get my current 18" upper running right and try out some matches.  I can decide from there.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/10/2018 at 8:47 AM, TonytheTiger said:

Me neither, both physics and experience say it's unlikely.

I regularly squad with one of the Armalite shooters, he could use whatever gun he wants but always uses an 18" even for bay matches. 

With the same parts other than the barrel, they definitely do if braked. Shorter barrel means more gas to make the brake work. I have 20, 18, and 14.5 rifle or similar gas, 16 midlength, and 11.5 carbine and 10.3 carbine. 

With the same brakes (SF dual port) the short guns are the flattest, even with full mass carriers and heavy buffers. They almost pull forward. The 14.5 comes close though. 

They suck for pulling out of barrels and mid range work. That plus NFA is probaby why they aren’t more common. 

19 hours ago, ClangClang said:

Are you sure about that? Shorter barrel means less combustion time, therefore more unburnt powder, ergo LESS gas.

"More gas pressure" would be a more accurate way to say it.  The gas has had less time to expand in the short barrel and is at higher pressure when it hits the brake. It ought to be the same principle that makes shorter barrels louder.