Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Trubor light strikes?

TANFARM

Have a used Trubor that is recently experiencing light primer strikes. Have used over 100K CCI small pistol primers in the last couple of years .

Nothing in my Reloading plan has changed except variation in powder charge.

out of the blue the lite strikes reared their ugly head!.....I got very good suggestions from another thread and installed a Dawson and Tried an EGW extended pin and reduced spring....to no avail. The light strikes are intermittent.....maybe 2 out of 100....

Yes most of the bad strikes will fire if run through again.....what would cause this....how would primer seating change on my 650??

Shot literally 10’s of thousands of rounds through my Edge, and Atlas without a single failure.

I don’t like stuff that doesn’t work properly!!!

Any thoughts or experiences appreciated..........thanks 

U can try a matt mclean I think it’s m1 firing pin. They are longer than Dawson I just ordered one. Now I did pull my primer push rod out on my dillon an it had went bad wasn’t flush anymore. U could check that. I seen someone post one time that they had rust in msh an it was the cause 

I shoot a Trubor and had this problem when I first got it (couple of years ago) They would all fire the second time through, I had loaded around 100K rounds on my 650 before that so I was kinda mystified. Then I changed my loading procedure, when seating the primers, I do a "double tap" on the handle (pushing it forward twice). I have not had a light strike since then. The press was clean so I imagine that I was either getting lazy (or old, or both) and occasionally not pushing the handle all the way. Try doing this for a while and if your light strikes go away, good deal. If not, punt.

Maybe totally unrelated, but I was using wsp magnum primers most of lasr season then the weather turned cold and i wad getting light strikes, then went to my stash of federal primers and have had zero issues since maybe you live in a warm area all year, but i have found cci to one of the hardest primers add some cold weather and maybe that's your issue like it was mine. 

10 hours ago, TANFARM said:

checking the 2000 rounds I loaded for primer problems......yikes!!!!

Not a problem - just put any high primers in a separate box and use them

for practice - most of them will go bang the first try   :) 

To all that graciously responded:

Installed EGW extended firing pin, reduced firing spring pin. Yesterday changed to a new 17lb. mainspring. Cleaned mainspring housing and drop of oil on top of the plug. I know I’ll be cursed forever, but.....350 rounds from 3 different batches of Minor  ...failures 0.

Hoping I got some bad CCI primers because God knows I’m not smart enough to fix anything.........THANKS for all your council!!!!

• 2 weeks later...