Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

A couple of years ago we had our usual .22 League (July-Aug) action and a HUGE crowd of shooters (about 30+ all crammed into this 13-booth hotbox indoor range one hot night. My Mark II got SOOO hot at one point toward the end of the match that I couldn't touch it but on the grip. I had to set it outside in the parking lot after the match before packing it up to take home. Jeez.

It's never been that hot again in the range (that I can recall), but it gets close to it. Last night was one of 'em. If we'd had more shooters, the situation would've gone into the red zone. When fanning yourself does no good, it's time to leave.

The issue here: The range owners quit running the air-conditioning in the range area some time ago because it was "too expensive." OhhhKayyyy.... They do, however, run it in the store/showroom/lounge area, and thank god for it. The showroom is really nice. The range area is nice, too, except in summer.

It's been 100+ for the past week here in Sacramento. Last Sunday, shot an IDPA match, luckily the stages were short and we had everything cleaned up by 11:30 before it really got hot.

I've been bringing my Camelbak to every match since May. I'll drain the entire bladder 100 ounces in 4-5 hours.

Lately I have noticed I don't tolerate heat all that well any more. I used to work in a shop that didn't have AC or any type of cooling beside a bunch of fans. It would easily reach 95 degrees inside. I really didn't mind shooting in 100 degree weather. Now I sit behind a desk in a office at 70 degrees. I'll be physically drained after about 3 hours at a match.

I think if you spend most of the time in the heat it doesn't seem that bad.

Off to a match today that will test endurance. Temps are suppose to be 103 today and the humidity is 94% right now. Have been hydrating this morning. Let's see if I can make the 2 hour drive without stopping. :huh:

Have the baby stroller/jogger range cart, umbrella, cooler and chair to help with the gig today. Should be interesting. Maybe I should just stay home but as they say the worst day shooting is better than staying at home. Don't expect greatness today, but everyone will be dealing with the same conditions, just need to keep my head screwed on straight. Out of here in 15 mins. Gotta go.

Rick

The high deserts of California get pretty hot. Sometimes the heat makes it a little unbearable but then you just get into the shade and drink some water. Drink before your thirsty. If you know your going to be expending a lot of water then the night before such activities drink a lot of water. Oh, sunscreen is a must.

My main complaint is that I have to have gloves to do anything with the targets, stands, brass, and sometimes the gun. Everything sitting in the sun gets really hot really fast.

Working outside in central Indiana everyday gives me perspective on this...

I agree with the posts that say that it's not enough to stop activities. Some people prefer to live in conditioned spaces. It's just like winter time. We don't get the serious snow that some get here, but we certainly get plenty of low temps. I think it's all in how you prepare for the elements. In the heat I regulate my pace and drink literally a minimum of one gallon of water each day. It's not scientific at all, but I know that in extreme heat working outside I'm normally covered in a layer of sweat. If I'm not then I need to drink some water. Seems to work ok. In extreme cold I know that I need to feel the temp a little. If I'm so bundled that I can't feel the cold then I will start sweating. Sweating in extreme cold will make it a short day. I layer my clothes so I can adjust as needed. Practicing in bad conditions may suck at times. But if you prepare then I think it's all possible.

Of course this comes from someone that doesn't mind the heat, but can't seem to find a free nano-second to practice. Ignore at your leisure!!!

The thing I love is when it's 100 in the shade, 95% humidity and you see people in a black shirt and black jeans walking around in the sun. I quess they just bounce from one ice box to the next...

:D:)B)

• 2 weeks later...

We are in that time of year in North Florida where it is ungodly hot until about mid afternoon, then it rains for about half an hour, then the sun comes back out and turns it all to steam. You just about need a snorkle just to breath. You can't walk from your car to your office without needing a shower afterwards. It sucks the life out of any potential motivation to get out and practice.

Good thing you can get good practice out of dry firing.

Live fire practice should kinda be like religion - once a week and you should be grateful afterwards - regardless of the weather. Had I not practiced for the month before PASA out in 100+ temps in 60-70% humidity, I would have been toast as my DNA is engineered for tredging through snow and drinking beer. It takes a little while for your blood to thin and acclimate to the heat. My mistake was not staying on top of my snacks and fluids for the second match. After going down range to tape one target, my heart was pounding like I had just sprinted a 100 yard dash...The RO's saved me by giving me some ice out of their cooler to put on my neck. That was the closest I've come to heat stroke - never again, no thanks!

So the reader's digest answer is: Go Practice!

Someone asked about chrono'ing................

I tested factory Winchester 180gr 40S&W at our range in about 112 degree heat, then used it at the Golden Bullet Sectional in Richmond in about 72 degree heat. At home it averaged about 985 fps, at Richmond it averaged about 950 fps....Temp makes a difference.