Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The Square Deal B

JD45

Who would buy a 650 or a 1050 if you have a SDB with a case feeder?

Me! Now that the 1050 bugs have been worked out (quick, let me knock some wood :lol: ) it's really the smoothest and easiest press I've ever operated. And, after being spoiled by roller handles, I just couldn't go back to the ball.....

They were great presses for the four years or so I owned 'em.....

I broke one of the link arms on mine after 20,000 rounds. The machine was used as well, so no telling how many rounds it's really loaded. I know I've loaded another 10,000 rounds since with zero problems.

A bit of excessive e-baying means that I now have 3 SDBs. Only need 2, but what the hell.

"A bit of excessive e-baying means that I now have 3 SDBs. Only need 2, but what the hell"
LOL...!!! One can never have too many SDBs. Kinda like guns.

Oh, and yes... I've sheared off a shellplate bolt, too. Just one.

If everybody is talking about the bolt I think they are, you have blown my mind. The bolt has a shoulder on it and just sits there to keep the plate in place, right? If the bolt is too large in the shoulder area the shellplate can't turn. What in the hell puts enough force on the bolt to break it?

The priming issue is one thing I'm familiar with (my machine is older than dirt). My advice is to call Dillon and ask for the whole primer slide assembly. I was replacing plastic tips without much success and the new slide fixed everything.

I'm surprised myself about these broken bolts. Never a problem with mine.

My 3rd SDB (perhaps just a plain Square Deal) is an older model that I'm not so sure I trust. Nothings up with the press itself, but the powder measure is not the same as my other two. It has what appears to be a "primitive" fail safe rod, but the rod connects to a bellcrank that has no lock-link. I could be wrong on the part names, but I'm thinking I have more of a "return rod" than a fail safe rod.

That the previous owner had a spring set up to insure positive return of the powder bar makes me think it's a bad thing. Still haven't decided if I'll keep the press for spare parts, keep it in case I start shooting more .38 Super (IDPA), or put it back on e-bay. Most likely I should contact Dillon to see if the powder measure can be updated.

I'm a lot happier with the brand new SDB I got for $200. Can't beat having a press set up for .45 next to a press set up for .40.

BTW: I've got a .44 mag conversion and a spare .38 Super conversion (both used but nice) that would like a new home.

My 3rd SDB (perhaps just a plain Square Deal) is an older model that I'm not so sure I trust.  Nothings up with the press itself, but the powder measure is not the same as my other two.  It has what appears to be a "primitive" fail safe rod, but the rod connects to a bellcrank that has no lock-link.  I could be wrong on the part names, but I'm thinking I have more of a "return rod" than a fail safe rod.

That the previous owner had a spring set up to insure positive return of the powder bar makes me think it's a bad thing.

Man, you've got the classic pre-fartknocker powder measure. People here pay big $ to convert theirs to like that. The return springs are factory from Dillon.

see: http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?...topic=5677&st=0

and: http://www.ericwesselman.com/DillonPowderMeasure/

shred

Thanks for the info and links.

There is no spacer plug with this measure. Is it supposed to have one? There's a hole for it.

I guess I'll put those springs back on, set it up for .38 Super and give it a try.

If my work schedule gets as bad as I think it will, Sunday matches may be my only option some months. That leaves me shooting IDPA. Without IDPA, my .38 Super is basically retired. Looks like I'll be keeping the press :)

The bolt is the one the one in the middle of the shell plate. It breaks between the threaded portion and the shoulder. There's quite a bit of stress that goes through the bolt because the bolt is what is pulling on the shell plate when you are extracting the rounds out of the die. The Dillon guy said they got a bad batch. I went through one period where I broke one every month. Haven't broken one since then.

Whoa. My brain must have quit working when I posted. I see what you folks are talking about now. Something has to hang-on to the case to pull it from the die....and it's the shellplate....doh!! :wacko: I'd guess that the bolt does take quite a load when pulling.

By the way, mine is the really old "fart-knocker" model. If you really want to see it knock, just let some rust accumulate on the powder bar.