Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

going to 38sc from 38Super?

Loudgp

Chambering should not be a problem. Some guns can just run either super or supercomp. If you have an SV they use a diffrent breechface for supercomp. The extractor May need tuning to grab the supercomp as it is not as large at the base. 

The Super comp is a rimless case so in the mags it tends to be a more reliable round. All the other aspects of the brass are the same. It just comes down to your choice. Most open guns I shoot with either run 38sc or 9 major. I don't see very many guys who run 38 super. 

For the most part it's just tuning the extractor. For the other questions it comes down to shooters choice. SC is easier to come by used but new brass is the same. SC give you easier feeding and sometimes and extra round in the magazine. Super is supposed to have nicer ejection. Feel wise they are identical. Honestly it depends on who the builder is. Most aren't touching super anymore unless you are in the central Florida area and go with a "doctor of guns"

Its an svi Infinity in 38 Super, built a couple years back.. but finally getting it out to run and having issues with cases chambering correct. Even after using a udie and case rolling. Its like owning a british car for reliability.. you might as well have a tow truck follow you.  The bulk of the issues are they wont fully chamber and end up locking the gun up.. and they all are barrel checked and also with a case gauge. doesn't matter the brand of case or even the mag I use...   

3 minutes ago, Loudgp said:

Its an svi Infinity in 38 Super, built a couple years back.. but finally getting it out to run and having issues with cases chambering correct. Even after using a udie and case rolling. Its like owning a british car for reliability.. you might as well have a tow truck follow you.  The bulk of the issues are they wont fully chamber and end up locking the gun up.. and they all are barrel checked and also with a case gauge. doesn't matter the brand of case or even the mag I use...   

Check extractor tension with a super casing and with a SC casing. If there is enough on the SC just run some of that and see if just that fixes your issues. You never know if someone tuned the extractor for it. 

I made the same switch in May last year, had a new gun built in SC but had another that I bought used that was built for Super, it was having occasional feeding issues. Switched to SC and no more issues. My 1050 which was set up for Super since the early 90s needed a little tweaking but other than that all is good.