Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Titanium Parts and Noticeable Gains

ACree

Hello, All. I am curious as to how many of you truly noticed an appreciable gain in your shooting or the function of your 1911/2011 by upgrading to titanium fire control parts like the mainspring cap, hammer strut and firing pin. 

Thank you!

Andy Cree

I went with the titanium firing pin to keep the mass down which gives you more margin of safety for an accidental drOp of the gun with a series 70 setup. A light trigger shoe/stirrup does similar for drops and a light trigger. The strut I did because it wasn't much more and was the only in stock extended strut. The cap I did because it everything else was titanium and the steel one I had on hand was machined like poop and very rough. The titanium one was machined nicely. 

In terms of feel and speed? Doesn't really do much that nicely machined steel wouldn't. Even the fast guys don't hit the cyclic rate of a 1911 going full auto. If it added speed it would add it there.

But it's all part of a nice 1.8 lb trigger that isn't picky about primer choice.

Titanium strut will flex more than hard steel resulting in a mushy trigger.  Same deal with the trigger bow.  The idea of faster lock time due to titanium parts in the fcg is bs.  For comps the make sense because of the weight savings and durability.  Other than that, you're better off with quality steel parts.  

Titanium strut will flex more than hard steel resulting in a mushy trigger.  Same deal with the trigger bow.  The idea of faster lock time due to titanium parts in the fcg is bs.  For comps the make sense because of the weight savings and durability.  Other than that, you're better off with quality steel parts.  

Are Ti Hammer struts so soft that they flex under 15-20lbs (or whatever the weight mainspring you’re using)?? That’s a serious question, cause I never for a second thought that was a risk.

3 minutes ago, shooterDrew said:

Are Ti Hammer struts so soft that they flex under 15-20lbs (or whatever the weight mainspring you’re using)?? That’s a serious question, cause I never for a second thought that was a risk.

That is only the spring weight.  You are bending a curved part, so it's not just 15-20 lb of force.  And keep in mind that just like steel, there are lots of different types of titanium.  Most of the stuff used for gun parts is crap.

I have Used a 17LB main spring  Ti Hammer struts, Ti Main spring cap and a XL steel firing pin with steel Ti and Magnesium trigger bows  in all my builds for 25+ years....  the  2 Ti parts need to be replaced for wear after 500,000 rounds or so

I do not want to derail the original question with debating whether or not there is enough load on the strut to flex it to any measurable amount. I am looking for anyone who has had a positive, tangible gain in switching to titanium fire control parts. 

2011BLDR, have you, or your customers, seen any tangible benefits compared to the steel FCP?

I don't really have "Customers" I have friends that I will do work for that wont let anyone else touch their guns.. it is a feel thing,  the Ti parts feel faster and feel like the let off is crisper...  We are talking under $30 in parts even at Retail ( Ti hammer strut and Mainspring cap) , so I just don't see why you would choose to use steel instead given the small cost of those 2 parts compared to the rest of the Fire Control system ( Hammer, sear, disconnect, thumb safety).. I have seen a downturn in quality in the last 6 years with some brands of parts so I won't work with anything but SV ( QBX Hammers, sear and disconnect). I prefer the EGW XL Ti strut, but can use the STI if i have to ( caps are a non issue bout EGW and STI are GTG)

Edited by 2011BLDR

I can't tell the difference between EGW's Ti strut and cap, and C&s' same steel parts.  I have three or four Ti firing pins laying around.  I replaced them with SS, because of issues with CCI primers.  I also cannot tell the difference between a 15 lb. and 19 lb. main spring with the trigger pull set to 2.25 lbs.  So I just go for reliability.  BTW, I do shoot bullseye in addition to action.