Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Squib Load

JON

This past weekend I was the RO and heard the distinct "pop'" from a squib load. I immediately told the competitor to stop which he did and proceeded to have hime unload and show clear. When he was unloading the gun the squib load came out with the bullet almost out of the case but still in the case. The barrel was clear.

Does he get a re-shoot?

Thanks

Jon

I did give him a re-shoot and hope it was the right call because it was one of our points matches.

The question is "what would have happened if he reloaded on his own and fired without you stipping him."

If the answer "the gun would have worked properly and safely", he gets a reshoot. If the answer is "gun would have blown up do to an obstructed chamber", the answer is no.

From your description, the shooter reloading would have safely cleared the gun, therefore, a reshoot is warranted.

That is the correct call. If a squib jams in barrel it is unsafe to finish the course of fire. The competitor does not get a reshoot. If you stop the shooter and discover that the barrel is clear, a reshoot will be awarded.

This would be the same call if the squib just barely exited the barrel and dropped on the ground at the feet of the shooter. You hear the "pop", you stop the shooter. No bullet in the barrel, he gets a reshoot, damn sight better than I don't stop him and gets a KaBoom!

Jim Norman

here's another case (it happended to me yesterday)

I'm shooting a S&W 625 45acp, I have 3 targets side by sde, 6 shots I go all out shooting the 3, middle target first shot was a squib, second shot i was not able to stop from firing, it pushed the bullet out, I went on to finish the array, had 2 more reloads to finish stage. The ro heard the squib, I heard the squib (was not able to stop), crowd heard the squib. If the ro would have stopped me, would I have gotten the reshoot??? I don't condon it or using it as a excuse, but revolvers have a self venting gap between the cylinder and barrel, until I picked up the moonclip that had the primer that was sticking out, did I truly realize that it was a squib. that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

I've actually had RO's not do anything when this has happened. Luckily the shooter stopped himself. Them the RO scored the stage and gave him a zero.

When I'm ROing I always yell stop as soon as possible so the shooter has the option of a reshoot if the barrel is clear. I'll never believe this is giving the shooter an advantage.

I've actually had RO's not do anything when this has happened. Luckily the shooter stopped himself. Them the RO scored the stage and gave him a zero.

When I'm ROing I always yell stop as soon as possible so the shooter has the option of a reshoot if the barrel is clear. I'll never believe this is giving the shooter an advantage.

I have some video from the 2001 Limited Nationals where the RO clearly thought the shooter had a squib but did not do anything to stop the shooter. The RO ducked every time the shooter tried to fire the gun. Finally the shooter gave up and stopped himself.

2001 Limited Nationals Squib

Nolan

• 1 month later...
I have some video from the 2001 Limited Nationals where the RO clearly thought the shooter had a squib but did not do anything to stop the shooter.  The RO ducked every time the shooter tried to fire the gun.  Finally the shooter gave up and stopped himself. 

Nolan

Bad move. If you suspect a squib, yell stop. I heard a pop instead of a bang while running a shooter on stage 2 of this year's AWARE invitational. We stopped and checked his gun but it was clear. He re-shot the stage and everyone stayed safe. Later that day I was picking up the brass on my stage and found the round that came out of his gun. The .40 S&W had the primer in backwards and the firing pin was long enough to set off the reversed primer. Hey Charles Thompson, I have your bullet. ;)

IF that RO was that concerned about the gun blowing up, he should stopped the shooter. That video should be sent to the NROI to used as a training tool as what not to do as an RO.

They should also figure out who the RO was and not let him RO another nationals.

Here is a question:

What would be a safe (for the gun and shooter) way to experience what a squib sounds like? I have never heard one and my wife and I are going to be going to an RO class ASAP. Last one got canceled. :(

Anyway, this is the kind of thing I fear about being an RO, basically not recognizing the danger and allowing a shooter to continue.

Ira

I have some video from the 2001 Limited Nationals where the RO clearly thought the shooter had a squib but did not do anything to stop the shooter.  The RO ducked every time the shooter tried to fire the gun.  Finally the shooter gave up and stopped himself. 

Nolan

Legality and rules aside...You, the RO, being aware of a squib or the possibility of a squip.... Would you allow a shooter - quite possibly someone you know - to ruin a $2,000.00+ piece of equipment and endanger himself and others by Not informing him of a malfunction?

Ira, I can make one squib for you and shot infront of you this coming Sat at Chabot if you come. Oh wait, you can make one too! Just make a bullet without powder or really small amount of in it.

Oh boy, I almost bursted into laugter when I read this because I made so many squib myself. You have detail oriented, great reloading skill but i was not!!

Here is a question:

What would be a safe (for the gun and shooter) way to experience what a squib sounds like?  I have never heard one and my wife and I are going to be going to an RO class ASAP.  Last one got canceled.  :(

Anyway, this is the kind of thing I fear about being an RO, basically not recognizing the danger and allowing a shooter to continue.

Ira

Here is a question:

What would be a safe (for the gun and shooter) way to experience what a squib sounds like?  I have never heard one and my wife and I are going to be going to an RO class ASAP.  Last one got canceled.  :(

Ira

As the RO you watch the gun. You hear the shots.

You notice something strange ("click" "plopp" "swoosh" ...)

If you are in doubt it is a squib or not, stop the shooter, inspect the gun and continue with the procedure.

If the gun is clear, OK, apologize and explain, let him go for a re-shoot.

If not, he gets a zero for the stage and you hopefully get a beer paid in the evening for saving his gun, fingers, head, etc...

Better safe than sorry.

Georg

As stated by a lot of other people if it sounds strange stop the shooter, better to err on the side of safety. If there is nothing wrong, apologize and issue a re-shoot.

PS- What about the liability if you notice and don't stop them in today’s litigious society?