Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI Edge modifications...

drivenagain

I have an STI Edge Dawson CRP 40 enroute to me. My first 1911/2011 platform, only has a few magazines thru it.  

Comes with 3 126mm mags, what extension options do I have to get to 140mm?

Looking to change out the plastic trigger for a X-Line Vario.

Is she ready to rock and roll for Limited Major right out of the box?

Thanks, 

Jason

congrats!  you don't want to use 126mm mags, clearance from magwell is iffy at best and may or will hinder mag seating.  you want 140's and then possibly some aftermarket basepads.  i use and like dawson basepads but there are other choices.  dawson's crp guns do not have any trigger work, on my stock STI's i dropped in brazos trigger group kits. 

7 hours ago, davsco said:

hey any chance you're doing the uspsa match sunday at shadow hawk?  if so i can loan you some 140's.

Hey man, a few buddies are shooting on Sat, I was going to sign up for Sunday but i think its too cold for me, im a BIG baby when its cold, lol.  Im usually at The Machine Gun Nest on Thursday night matches.   

Thanks for all of the feedback guys, ill post some pics once in my possession.

There's nothing wrong with the plastic trigger. It saves weight. It's a plastic shoe on a stainless bow. I believe the reduced weight is also supposed to help keep trigger pull weight down and faster reset.  I'm sure more experienced members can comment on that. 

On 12/7/2017 at 8:44 AM, drivenagain said:

I have an STI Edge Dawson CRP 40 enroute to me. My first 1911/2011 platform, only has a few magazines thru it.  

Comes with 3 126mm mags, what extension options do I have to get to 140mm?

Looking to change out the plastic trigger for a X-Line Vario.

Is she ready to rock and roll for Limited Major right out of the box?

Thanks, 

Jason

do you have to do modifications to the STI trigger frame to allow the X-Line Vario to work?

Edited by audani77

I heavily modified my edge when I got it, by putting in a standard full-length-guide rod, putting some grip tape on the sides, and buying a couple MBX mags. Mine actually had a really nice trigger right out of the box, but my wife's was only pretty good, so we paid a local smith 25 bucks to clean it up.

my wife's gun came with 126mm mags, which we found to be pretty much useless for anything except practice. Mine came with the new 140's, which I tricked up with grams spring/followers and TT basepads so they hold 21, just like the mbx mags.

I would just shoot it and make modifications for your personal preference as desired/needed.

Edited by motosapiens

Dawson used to make the Para base pad extensions.  With some tuning, you can get the 126mm mags to fit the gauge but since they stopped making them, you would either need to buy them used or just buy some new 140mm mags.

I ran mine as is for a while but eventually pinned the grip safety, swapped out the recoilmaster, stippled the grip and swapped out for a flat trigger.

On 12/8/2017 at 4:29 PM, audani77 said:

do you have to do modifications to the STI trigger frame to allow the X-Line Vario to work?

Yes, I would say you have to do some light filing to fit the X-Line but much easier than fitting a SVI trigger.  The X-Line goes all the way into the grip but is a VERY tight fit.

Edited by vtecpaoche