Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Trigger issues (I think)

mont1120

Still working out the kinks on my Glock 34 Gen4 MOS. I am not a Glock expert by any means, and am adjusting to the Glock undercut problems (Glock Knuckle) and other issues. When I purchase the gun I had read all the reviews on the awful Glock trigger, so I get the Zev replacement system, and it installed very easily. The difference between it and the stock trigger are huge, so I can say I am please with the Zev.

One odd problem I am seeing looks like light primer strikes. I seem to get a FTF about every 20 rounds. This happens no matter the brass or load. All of them have been reloads, with the primer depth checked to be sure no high primers were the issue. I can say the fired primer barely shows a strike from the normal Glock firing pin. As a matter of fact, I don"t see the normal strike pattern and many of the expended rounds on the primer. The normal Glock rectangle imprint is visible, but not like the thousands of Glock rounds I pick up at the range.

Is this the result of a mis-matched hammer spring caused when I changed out the trigger for the Zev?

You got a connector and a spring kit or a whole drop in trigger?

The standard Zev spring kit comes with a 2lb striker spring, I didn't have too many light strikes with it, but the trigger didn't often reset past the safety.

Put the stock one back in or order up a Wolff 4.5lb and your problem will almost certainly disappear, the pull will increase some.

Could also try a lightened/extended striker.

You haven't told us what primers or striker spring weight you're using. 

If you're just getting started with Glocks I'd suggest you go back to stock trigger set up. Or close to it. Get used to that. Forget what the internet is saying!  Poeple say that cause they're fundamentals suck and they'd rather take a short cut than practice. We've all done/do it. But the truth is, the stock trigger with slight mods can be run with success. 

If you change much, like adding the Zev kit, you may (probably will) have to start running softer primers. You may (probably will) also make the gun less reliable.

Also, Most people don't know how to check to make sure they're getting proper striker leg/trigger bar engagement. Which can lead to doubles.  Each gun is different so, the Xbrand drop in kit is gonna feel different in a gun by gun bases. I've spent hours sitting in Vanneks kitchen having him show/explain a lot. These aftermarket kits are nice but not needed.  

Maybe a minus connector and a 4.5# to 5# striker spring.  5000 trigger pulls and couple hundred hours of dry fire practice and you'll have no issue with that trigger! 

Now, if you want to run that aftermarket trigger kit, you'll probably need to run softer primers than you are now. Assuming you primer depth is good like you say. 

I had to run Winchester or federals to get 100%. I was using a 4# striker spring and Jagers lightend striker. 

I'm not shooting Glock anymore but if I was I'd put a 4.5# striker spring in it. The .5lb increase in trigger weight wouldn't even be noticeable during a match. 

Edited by B_RAD

I installed the complete Zev drop in kit including trigger. The spring is the 2.5, I did not change the firing pin/striker. I use Winchester primers almost 100% of the time, but during the Obamer years I had to use CCI and Remington. I have not seen any difference with the type of primer changing how many rounds fail. I will start with putting the original spring back in, then getting the lightened striker.

If all else fails, back to the original trigger and we will see. I know the Glock is super reliable, has won many a match, but getting used to the different angle of the grip, the Glock knuckle issue, and the what I consider a crummy trigger system is starting to make me reconsider the adventure into the Glock platform. It works for some, just not everyone.

Edited by mont1120
forgot word

2 hours ago, mont1120 said:

I installed the complete Zev drop in kit including trigger. The spring is the 2.5, I did not change the firing pin/striker. I use Winchester primers almost 100% of the time, but during the Obamer years I had to use CCI and Remington. I have not seen any difference with the type of primer changing how many rounds fail. I will start with putting the original spring back in, then getting the lightened striker.

If all else fails, back to the original trigger and we will see. I know the Glock is super reliable, has won many a match, but getting used to the different angle of the grip, the Glock knuckle issue, and the what I consider a crummy trigger system is starting to make me reconsider the adventure into the Glock platform. It works for some, just not everyone.

Just wondering what gun you were shooting before and what are using this Glock for?  

Not trying to talk you into staying with the Glock but knowing a little more about your situation may help us with providing suggestions.  

7 hours ago, mont1120 said:

I switched from 1911's to Glocks a couple years back and went through some of the same issues. All my Glocks have grip reductions so they point like 1911's. Trigger took some getting used to. I found shooting it by the first joint of the trigger finger,  like a DA revolver, really helped the trigger issue. I don't mess much with the innards although I do have a 13# recoil spring in the game gun. Now I have guns that work for me, are inexpensive, reliable, and require minimal maintenance.

Edited by lgh

i have been shooting An STI Eagle and Kimber 1911 in Limited 10 for the last 10 years. I had shot the Glock in the Glock only matches in Emmitt ID and locally. Since I had some decent scores I thought CO would be a learning place to try something new. My eyes do not work as well as they used to, and Open just does not appeal to me, so CO it is.

if you run the 2lbs striker spring,then use  federal small pistol OR winchester. otherwise  that's  what you'll get.  all my  glocks  gets  the  zev ultimate  trigger  and i  don't  see the point of  running the  standard  SS....while  you  can,but  you  won't  get  the  lowest trigger break weight possible.  i  don't  have  a  problem to  find  federal primers  but if you do, maybe  running the  standard  SS  as   a  simple  fix.