Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Loss of Bullseye Skill?

Doublehelix

Just started shooting USPSA and SCSA last year in a more serious way, and I realize that all of my practice in the last year or so has been focused on honing those speed-shooting skills.

I went to an indoor range yesterday (it has been a while since I have shot indoors), and since all there is to aim at is a bullseye or two, I was checking out my accuracy at 7 yds, 10 yds and 25 yds. There has been quite a slip in performance since last year. I wasn't horrible by any means, and shot out a few red X's, but overall, I was somewhat disappointed in my skills compared to a year ago.

It seems as if I have been more focused on center of mass double-taps, draws, reloads and transitions rather than absolute accuracy. Obviously shooting A's requires accuracy, but it is more of a center of mass thing than trying to shoot out the X. I have always prided myself at being a decent shot, and I still love it when I can hit those 25 yard poppers on the first shot every time!

I realize that true Bullseye shooting is a completely different sport than run-and-gun types of sports, and I am not into true Bullseye shooting, but it was somewhat disappointing to realize that my absolute accuracy skills have gone down a bit, in exchange for much greater speed on the USPSA courses.

I am not overly concerned, as I went out again today to my normal outdoor range, and did setup one target with a few bullseyes and worked on my accuracy as well as normal speed stuff, and did pretty well at 10 yds. 

I guess my question is whether or not these two skill sets are exclusive skills for most of us, or do most of you keep up your "bullseye" skills as well as your speed match skills?

I was kinda bummed yesterday when I really noticed a deterioration in my absolute accuracy skills.

I guess it is to be expected that if you don't practice a specific skill, you will lose some edge in that skill, but I guess I thought I was still working on my accuracy, but at speed. I figured that when slow firing, I would have the same accuracy as I used to have, but apparently that is not the case.

Is this normal for all of you? Do you practice both skill sets?

Include some group shooting in each of your live fire sessions, even if it is just a magazine at the beginning of the session. 

You our can also do some accuracy work in your dry fire as well e.g. dry firing at a patch, light switch.

On 11/25/2017 at 5:00 PM, B585 said:

I had found the same thing in August when practicing.  The good news is it seems to come back pretty quick with a little practice.

Yeah, after that first day indoors, I setup a standard target the next day and shot a few mags before beginning my regular training, and I was getting excellent groups by the end, although it was all at close distances (10 yds).

16 hours ago, tanks said:

In practice sessions I start with accuracy (50 rounds) then do whatever I came to work on and end on accuracy (50 rounds).

Wow, that is a lot of accuracy practice each session. Have you noticed that is has helped your USPSA shooting as well?

It seems like a lot of you incorporate absolute accuracy training into your regular routine, and I think I might start adding some of that into my sessions as well.

Thanks for the input so far.

On 11/25/2017 at 4:09 PM, Doublehelix said:

Just started shooting USPSA and SCSA last year in a more serious way, and I realize that all of my practice in the last year or so has been focused on honing those speed-shooting skills.

I went to an indoor range yesterday (it has been a while since I have shot indoors), and since all there is to aim at is a bullseye or two, I was checking out my accuracy at 7 yds, 10 yds and 25 yds. There has been quite a slip in performance since last year. I wasn't horrible by any means, and shot out a few red X's, but overall, I was somewhat disappointed in my skills compared to a year ago.

I suspect the degradation of your bullseye skills may have been more due to being away from it for a year, rather than caused by your recent focus on speed shooting.   

I've been trying to get better at both simultaneously in recent years, but I know the skill sets are a bit different.   With only finite practice time available, I have to accept that I'm not going to get better at both nearly as fast as I'd improve if I focussed on one or the other.

Glad it's not just me.  I've found the exact same thing.  Since I started focusing on practical shooting, and spent less range time just standing in place slow firing at bullseyes, my ability to shoot tiny groups has diminished.  That said, my ability to make rapid "A" hits while stationary or moving has increased dramatically.

I see nothing wrong with working on both, but in my situation, with somewhat limited ammo resources for practice, I prefer to spend as much ammo as possible working on more "practical shooting" type skills and drills.  One day I'll have a big enough ammo fort to shoot more and do both. :)

When I practice I intentionally use targets much smaller than the "A" zone in order to allow me to make better hits at distance. When on a static line range where no unholstering or other practical skills are allowed to be practiced anything inside of 15 yards I utilize the Shoot-N-C 2 inch wide sticker targets so it forces me to focus on accuracy. Then when moving from 15-25 yards I will use a "full sized" circle sticker target to give me more room and to help practice calling my shots at distance. 

Then when at my own private range I generally shoot either 6 inch steel circles or 2 inch steel spinners with some USPSA standard targets thrown in, with the focus on again ensuring that as long as I do my part A zone hits are easy to rapidly score on. 

Only competition I shoot is 3 gun which incorporates a little of everything. Mostly run and gun but there are some stages that have plate racks at 20+ yards so it's best for me to train everything. Granted most is speed style training but I try to incorporate some bullseye stuff in the mix to stay fresh. Shooting skills quickly diminish without practice, whatever you want to stay good with, keep on doing it.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...
On 11/27/2017 at 1:01 AM, tanks said:

In practice sessions I start with accuracy (50 rounds) then do whatever I came to work on and end on accuracy (50 rounds).

I agree. I play this game as accuracy slightly before speed. I'm a newbie so you may not want to take my advice :lol:. So I put some bulleyes type drills in at the end of each live fire practice session. Not so much in dry fire though which is probably a mistake...did I mention I'm a newbie...LOL!

I started Bulleye shooting before USPSA. I still like it, not anywhere close to USPSA though, because it forces one to focus on the fundamentals. 

Edited by BLT

• 3 months later...

I think adding some group shooting back in to your regimen is going to be your friend.  I know when, a few years ago, I injured my right (dominant,) hand, I had to switch to shooting lefty. Until the right got healed enough to be a support hand, I spent most of my time working actual Camp Perry style, one hand Bullseye.  I started shooting groups I wouldn't have thought possible before.  When I started practical training again, the two styles really seemed to cross pollinate.  

25 yard strong and weak hand bulls is my warm up most of the time (2x 10 rnd mags each side).  I have seen it degrade if I don't do that, plus it helps with trigger control at speed still.

When shooting in practice, start with accuracy and end with accuracy.

It's interesting that a lot of the instructors who tour nationally (in this case like Pat McNamara and Tom Givens) include accuracy drills on an NRA B-8 25 yard timed & rapid fire bullseye as part of their recommended practice program.