Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Decisions decisions help me decide on the lower

Hey guys so I have a complete competition style PCC built, with a NFA lower, Spartan side charger upper, Taccom ultralight barrel and hand guard, Blitz hydraulic buffer, Taccom Extreme bolt.
I just picked up one of the $250 PSA complete 16” uppers and I’m debating on trying a colt style lower this time. I don’t mind having to buy a couple of Colt mags. I was thinking Spikes Tactical, or maybe getting a regular AR-15 lower and putting a Pro Mag version 2 block in it. They have pretty good reviews on OpticsPlanet for the new version 2 mag block and its only $45 bucks. Not trying to make a competition style out of this one so I don’t want to spend a lot. In the end I could pretty much switch between lowers with my heavy 16 inch upper or the lightweight competition style upper.
I would really like to hear everybody’s opinion on which lower I should get and why. Both of the bolts I have are Glock/Colt compatible I think [emoji848]. Well I’m not 100% sure if the PSA Gen9 hybrid bolt is Colt compatible that came with the upper I just got??? Anyone know??

Spikes Colt lower =$150 with free complete Aero Precision Slick side upper. Still need 2 mags so plus $60 = $210

Ar15 lower =$50, + Mag block $45, + (2) Brownells Colt Mags $30 each = $155

Not on your list but I have a QC10 lower that I have been very happy with.  One benefit is they have a linkage between the follower and the bolt catch so you don't have to use the proprietary Colt bolt catch with the longer arm to engage the mag follower, you can drop in any aftermarket bolt catch and it should work.  I also like the integrated mag well, and reliability with mine has been exceptional.   I think you are looking at 200+ for the stripped lower, but I'm sure you could shop around, especially on black friday, and find a deal.

I have two Colt pattern rigs. One is based on a QC10. Fit and finish is very good. Runs perfect.

The other is an old C3 Defense billet lower with a dedicated Hahn mag block. This is my favorite rig. It runs perfect as well. 

My third rig also uses a QC10 Glock lower. So as you can see...I am partial to QC10 for a PCC specific lower. I like tat there is some aftermarket support such as mag wells, extended mag release, etc.

Good luck on build.

All 9mm bolts, other than Olympic Arms, are Colt compatible.  They can also be Glock compatible if the are cut for it. 

I have a standard lower with RRA bottom load mag block. I recommend it. I also have a dedicated Colt style PSA lower that works superbly. When PSA had Metalforms all the time for $12-$20, it was a no-brainier. 

9 hours ago, Screaminyz said:

Anyone know if the Black Creek Precision Colt lowers are any good? They look like the QC10 but lightweight and forged

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I run a BCP Colt lower in my rig.  It's been perfect.  Upper/lower fit is very, very, tight; that'd be my only complaint.  Need a punch to knock out the takedown pin.  For how solid it locks up though, it's probably a good thing.

I got a blem black creek precision last week. haven’t had a chance to shoot it yet. Everything looks good and went together fine. Good deal for $90

Was that one of the seconds/miss aligned detent lowers? I was thinking of getting the same one and using the Elfman tactical safety. Which is just a push type speed safety

19 hours ago, Screaminyz said:

Was that one of the seconds/miss aligned detent lowers? I was thinking of getting the same one and using the Elfman tactical safety. Which is just a push type speed safety

Yes. It looks exactly like the pictures on the web site. I actually like the angle. I test fired 50 rounds today and no issues. It seemed a little harder to seed a magazine in, compared to the mag block i was using. 32 rd metal form wasn’t bad but the 20 rd asc mag was definitely harder to seed. 

OP- The same questions that you are asking recently ran through my head also. 

Since I had some colt-style (ASC & C-products) 32-round mags laying around I decided to pick up  the PSA 9mm upper and the Pro Mag (yea, that's a curse word in the magazine realm) mag block/adapter.

Installed the mag block in a double-start lower (happened to be handy) and pinned the upper, and to the range I went.  From the first to last round (of 300 or so) I had not one failure.  BTW, this was with steel case wolf ammo that I had handy. 

My only major concern with the config is the ability to reload quickly.  You'll need to download to reload on a closed bolt and even then it will take some practice; it's not like a pistol mag change.

Edited by muncie21