Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Grips For 625

AustinMike

I'm looking around for grips for my newly acquired 625. It's got Pachmayr Grippers on there now, but I hate finger grooves. The Presentation grips look a little bulky to me. Has anybody tried the Pachmayr Compac Grips? Those look promising (in pictures.) I'm considering Miculek grips too, but I'm not sure I want wood grips. Any other suggestions for "groove-less" grips?

AustinMike,

There is a thread or two here on the Revolver forum about grips, just do a little looking and you will find many "ideas".

Personally I like Jerry M. Grips but on a revolver grips are a real personal thing.

Good luck, Welcome to the world of "REVOLVERS" ;)

HOPALONG

There is a thread or two here on the Revolver forum about grips, just do a little looking and you will find many "ideas".

Yeah, I've been poking around through the forum. Hadn't seen anything about the Compac grip. Hard to tell when window shopping on the web, but I'm wondering if it's similar in size to the Miculek grips?

Thanks,

Mike

Mike - Like Hopalong said, it's a personal thing. One thing we need to know is whether you have a newer (round butt) or an older (square butt) 625.

The Compacs are about the smallest rubber grips you'll find that permit a full three-finger grip. Some folks like rubber grips for the grip and cushioning effect they give; others hate them because of the tacky feeling, and the difficulty of adjusting your grip if it's less than perfect.

One thing to know when you're considering grips is that whether the back of the grip frame is covered affects your trigger reach. I'm 6'2" with average hands for my height, and the Presentations make the trigger reach too long for me on K frames; N frame Presentations would be worse. For DA shooting I need grips that don't cover the back of the grip frame.

Miculek grips are very well shaped for DA shooting - not surprising, considering the guy who designed them. :D They're pricey, though. Gripper Professionals have uncovered backs, as do Hogue grips. Hogues used to be available in hard nylon, which responded well to shaping, and avoided the problem with stickiness. Even rubber grips respond well to Dremel tools if you really hate the finger grooves. ;)

Hogue also has a site where they sell their "cosmetic seconds" at http://www.hogueauction.com/index.php . I've bought grips for my Colt Official Police and Beretta Brigadier, and I'm pleased with them. Be advised that if you choose to get grips without finger grooves, they'll be bigger around than the ones with finger grooves.

Hope this helps!

My friend Dick Thompson does custom stocks for the K,L & N frame S&W Revolvers in many different colors.

His contact info is bdgunner@silverstar.com or 208-540-7788

I took the path of Byron.....got the grips for $15 and took a dremel tool to them. I tried Jerrys and was not quite comfortable with them (I need more hand strenght) and they seemed a little to small for my hands. Too bad you were not at the Ohio Championship match you could have tried a bunch of different grips. Anyways welcome to the club of great guys shooting cool guns (be ready for a lot of gun envy when you go the the matches). Let me know if you want to try Jerrys I think my brother will part with his....John DVC

• 2 months later...
I made some modifications to the rubber Hogues.  I like them now.

625grip.jpg

What Dremel attachment did you use to do this. How bad was the smell of burning rubber :lol: ? I'm looking into building a silhouette revolver and like the idea of rubber grips (helps with those 380 power factor loads) but hate the finger grooves on the Hogues. Plus I'd like to thin the grips a little to get a better purchase on the trigger. Any ideas guys?

Mike - Like Hopalong said, it's a personal thing.  One thing we need to know is whether you have a newer (round butt) or an older (square butt) 625.

Hope this helps!

Not trying to nit pik but were there ever 625's with square butts? I have an original 625 model of 1989 and it has a round butt. I thought those were the first 625's so I assumed that they all hadd round butts.

I know the blued 25 (or 1955 target like mine) had square butts. Did they make a special run of stainless 625's with a square butt?

Neal in AZ

I'm looking around for grips for my newly acquired 625.  It's got Pachmayr Grippers on there now, but I hate finger grooves.  The Presentation grips look a little bulky to me.  Has anybody tried the Pachmayr Compac Grips?  Those look promising (in pictures.)  I'm considering Miculek grips too, but I'm not sure I want wood grips.  Any other suggestions for "groove-less" grips?

I found the Miculek's worked on my 627, but, when shooting the .45 in my 625, the gun moved around a little too much. I've since moved around from finger grooves to rubber and haven't really settled upon anything yet. I like some tackiness to hold on to with the 625. I have average hands, maybe a little weak :), and, am using presentations currently. I also own a screw driver so that could change before tomorrow's match :) Grips are highly individual things depending upon hand size, hand shape, and phase of the moon.

What Dremel attachment did you use to do this.

I'll bet it was a sanding drum. Those things work great on all sorts of stuff.

Yep, it was a sanding drum. There was no burning rubber smell, but mushy rubber flecks went everywhere!

Thanks guys, looks like this will be an outdoors project...

I have one of the original "model of 1988" 625's and it has a round butt.

That is what I meant to say, I have one of the original 1988 5" versions. I also have a 3" 1989 version.

One trick I learned from an old buddy of mine who used to install/grind lots of recoil pads on shotguns is to put the real mushy ones in the freezer. It keeps them more solid and keeps the grinds straight.

Neal in AZ