Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I'm done with MBX! Mag probs and poor customer service

darthdively

Yeah, it's a rant. For real though. If you have a tanfo 38 supercomp open gun, dont buy MBX. Modding is required for "out of the box mags." It will drive you nuts trying to make sure they run well. Mine do not and Adrian won't exchange. Apparently i have to get the magic bullet with a certain load yada, yada. Basically i got from Adrian is that it's my gun, it's the bullet profile, it's prob the springs in your gun. Essentially, not understanding that it is probably the mags. 2 of the 3 mags i got gets rounds stuck side by side in the tube. Don't worry, tried all sorts of OAL and tried JHP and FMJ. Cant trust performance through these mags.

On the other hand factory mags are 110% reliable! Got 2 of the 170mm mags and put a grams kit in it and get 26 reloadable. Got some European base pads on the way that will allow 29 rounds of 38SC. Save the headache.. buy factory. just a hair cheaper when you add the grams kit and without ANY headache.

Anyone want to buy a couple MBX from me? Tuning may be required if trying to run 38SC. I think that these mags were really never meant to ru. 38SC in thr first place. If so, they'd have 38SC stamped on them too.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Sarge said:

I think by now I have heard more bad than good about MBX.

That's probably because the majority of people that don't have problems with them (like me) don't post about it. 40% of the open shooters at the optic nationals used MBX.

If they work for 2011, thats great for them. Tanfo 38SC, ehh. I'm understand that there many number if tanfo shooters that had to mod their mags. I'm just pissed for shitty customer service and i'm stuck with mags i can't trust. Thatx's my gripe with them. Dont want to mess with modding them because i still won't feel like i'll fully trust them. They should have had that in a note in their product that some modding and tuning may be needed. Paid too much for "out of the box" mags to have to mod them. If they work with other tanfo 38SC shooters, awesome. For people looking to buy mags for their 38SC tanfo, look at factory k38's 170mm offered by EAA and get a grams kit.

Couple things -

I don't know anyone that hasn't had to tune an open mag, that wasn't already tuned from the builder. 

The stock tanfo big sticks work well because they are just extensions of the stock mag, on a platform based or the production gun, ie. Stock 2 for the GT. So the 2011 argument is irrelevant. 

The MBX tanfo mags were made for CASPIAN frames. It just so happened they worked in tanfos. I did a lot of testing with the MBX in both 140 and 170. No issues once they were tuned. The simple task of either tuningnyour feed lips or usimg wooden dowels to create more support is all you need. 

Like I said, I don't know any open shooters that HAVEN'T had to tune a mag at some point. 

Edited by SoCalShooter69

Couple things -

I don't know anyone that hasn't had to tune an open mag, that wasn't already tuned from the builder. 

The stock tanfo big sticks work well because they are just extensions of the stock mag, on a platform based or the production gun, ie. Stock 2 for the GT. So the 2011 argument is irrelevant. 

The MBX tanfo mags were made for CASPIAN frames. It just so happened they worked in tanfos. I did a lot of testing with the MBX in both 140 and 170. No issues once they were tuned. The simple task of either tuningnyour feed lips or usimg wooden dowels to create more support is all you need. 

Like I said, I don't know any open shooters that HAVEN'T had to tune a mag at some point. 
Yep I have had to tune STI, Tanfo and Czechmate mags to run properly. Just part of the game we play.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Couple things -

I don't know anyone that hasn't had to tune an open mag, that wasn't already tuned from the builder.....

Yeah, i'll prob be doing the dowell rod squeeze if i dont get these sold.

In the meantime, the eaa 170's now available are extremely good and require no tuning from the shooter :D yay!

7 minutes ago, darthdively said:

Yeah, i'll prob be doing the dowell rod squeeze if i dont get these sold.

In the meantime, the eaa 170's now available are extremely good and require no tuning from the shooter :D yay!

Me too on the dowel rod.  My 170mm MBX just won't run consistantly enough to be trusted.  Where are you finding the EAA 170s?

Either way, mbx should make that information more clear about the mags. SoCalShooter, you've provided the best support when it comes to these mags and what should be done to the mags. Thank you. Adrian could not do so or even consider i may have 2 lemons. I even offered to send the mags for him to scope it out. Like i said, my gripe is with mbx. I could have done the dowell rod squeeze(which i'll probably do) and be done with it.

Me too on the dowel rod.  My 170mm MBX just won't run consistantly enough to be trusted.  Where are you finding the EAA 170s?
On eaa's website. Find a 13 coil grams spring and follower and you get 26 rounds reloadable. I'll follow up with the new base pads i'm getting from europe. After i ordered them i saw that J J racaza used them at world shoot. They will allow for 29+1 supposedly. One guys says he uses 11 coil spring and gets 30 in a mag. I'll prob do 13 coil and i'll post reaults.

https://eaacorp.com/gun_accessories/index.php/parts/tanfoglio/witness/magazine/large-frame/ea38supm200525rds-101954.html

http://taylorfreelance.com/shopping/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=52

1 hour ago, darthdively said:

Either way, mbx should make that information more clear about the mags. SoCalShooter, you've provided the best support when it comes to these mags and what should be done to the mags. Thank you. Adrian could not do so or even consider i may have 2 lemons. I even offered to send the mags for him to scope it out. Like i said, my gripe is with mbx. I could have done the dowell rod squeeze(which i'll probably do) and be done with it.

20161226_202805_zps0znfgtcu.jpg 

Here's my welded mags vs MBX. The runs are critical, or at least some form of indentations to keep everything on the right plane and enough support that there are no nose dives with decent springs and followers. 

Here's my suggestion for anyone that can't get factory 170s - buy two 38s mags have them cut and welded. That's what my above mags are. Bevin will do it, or if you have a friend that can weld decent, you'll be good to go.

Edited by SoCalShooter69

Okay.. i caved, i squeezed my big stick in a vice. I squeezed it to where i have a dip on each side of the mag enough where i have a little light show when i put a straight edge up to it. With my blanks, it seems to feed more solidly. Also it filled out the magwell, front and back enough where it doesn't rock back and forth at the top of the mag as much at all. Had to lightly adjust so it can drop free. Its going to be my practice range mag until it proves reliable after many rounds. Going to do thr same with the troublesome 140mm mag

I got the base pads from sweden. I can get 28 reloadable on a 13 coil spring. I will follow up with performance for those interested.

2 hours ago, darthdively said:

I didnt have any wood rods. I had these steel ones. Notice in one mag pic there is no light under the strait edge and light under the other9c7cdd352965c07edd99e993636afe5e.jpg548d0cb08e2d548f58ce75642d71811e.jpg94276d3dc3e0217c188b76ec39ccfb50.jpg

Nailed it. Excellent job. This is exactly what Tanfo users, that are using MBX mags, should do. This is what I was explaining - sorry I didn't get around to posting pics.

Well done. 

So basically just caving in the side of the mag just a little.  I was thinking I'd have to heat the mag and pressing in actual radiuses.  Let us know how they run.

I will. Unfortunately it caused me to loose 1 round capacity in one 140 mag and 2 rounds in another 140 mag. My 170 mag can only hold 27

I'll let you know how they work

1 hour ago, darthdively said:

I will. Unfortunately it caused me to loose 1 round capacity in one 140 mag and 2 rounds in another 140 mag. My 170 mag can only hold 27

I'll let you know how they work

Tune your spring, maybe the follower. If you clip a few coils, you'll get your capacity back. Just don't get crazy, you'll loose feeding for last round or two, if you cut too many.