Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Headlamps Legal?

EricW

Can a competitor don a headlamp for use during "dark house" stages? Must the competitor wear it while shooting for the entire match? I can find no express prohibitions in Chapter 5, but I would like the consult of a professional range lawyer before engaging the enemy.

Based on the pithy (I could elaborate, but I shall not) responses of those who govern dark house stages, I have made it my life's mission to game the living you-know-what out of every dark house stage I encounter in this life. :ph34r:

I really doubt that you would be allowed to use a secondary light source in the dark house but you can get away with using the provided light in creative ways.

Maybe you could rig up a hat to accept the provided light.

Well! :D

There was a dark house back in 1992 at the nationals further up the hill than where the permanent dark house is now. This was the one where Todd Jarrett (I think it was) taped a flashlight to his forearm.

Of course, believing there'd be a dark house the following year, I brought along a mini maglight plus an elastic headband specifically designed to hold the light with the idea that if I got told I had to wear it on every stage, short answer would have been "okay, no problem!"

But if the stage procedure is written now to specifically disallow use of all lights except the supplied one, then that's that. Dark House stages have stood the test of two years worth of PASA Nationals now, and no one's been able to range-litigate their way around it yet.

Wasn't that dark house the one where we started outside, engaged some targets, then went inside? What I did for that one was to go into Quincy and buy a fistful of behind-the-lens sunglass add-ons. The plastic thingies that would ride behind your regular glasses.

I stacked three or four until it was like shooting at night in the full daylight. I taped them together at the nosepiece, with a tab of tape sticking forward, under the brim of my hat.

I put them on as soon as I finished the stage before, and let my eyes adjust. (I'm sure I looked like Stevie Wonder, they were so dark.)

On that stage, I shot the outside targets with the sunglasses on, yanked the door open, and snatched the sunglasses inserts off as the door closed behind me. I could see everything inside just fine.

It wouldn't work in a completely sealed dark house, like the current one, but boy did it work then.

This should be hysterical. Now I really want to do it just so I can challenge an RO to demonstrate how the Flying Elvis electric jumpsuit can function as an aiming device. (Not that I really want to wear a leather jumpsuit in summer, but I'll take vicarious delight in watching some goofy RO do it.)

We went over the 'a sight does not necessarily need to be attached to the gun" many times already..

Anyway, they'll probably pull a 5.3.1 on any males wearing a suffusion of electric leather "5.3.1. The Match Director will

be the final authority in respect of what garments competitors are allowed to wear." (which opens up all sorts of interesting possibilities :D)

Is Troy gonna be RM again this year? There's no way he'd make someone remove a kilt. Unfortunately I know what is under his. I made the mistake of looking uphill last year and found Troy looking back down the hill, one leg down and one up on the ATV. It's taken me almost a year of therapy to get over it and now you guys went and brought it back up again. Thanks.

Is Troy gonna be RM again this year?  There's no way he'd make someone remove a kilt.  Unfortunately I know what is under his.  I made the mistake of looking uphill last year and found Troy looking back down the hill, one leg down and one up on the ATV.  It's taken me almost a year of therapy to get over it and now you guys went and brought it back up again.  Thanks.

Aww come on... I am sure you have seen worse than that... :lol:

• 2 weeks later...