Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Why flat black rear sight?

xdr

I use DP FO sights with red front and green rear on my CZ's. Everyone i shoot with uses the same front but flat black rears. I  notice many posts on BE where sights are mentioned and its the same, FO front, flat black rear. Why is that or what is the advantage?      

Thanks

Zane

I use DP FO sights with red front and green rear on my CZ's. Everyone i shoot with uses the same front but flat black rears. I  notice many posts on BE where sights are mentioned and its the same, FO front, flat black rear. Why is that or what is the advantage?      

Thanks

Zane

Rear sights with FO can draw your focus away from the front sight. So flat black rear sights are preferred as to not draw your focus away from the front sight.

Edit: It also simplifies your sight picture for quicker follow up shots.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Interesting. I'm going to pop the fiber optic rods out of my rear sight and see if I can plug the holes w something black. I have my second match Saturday so will be a good time to try it. Thanks for the info.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lining up the three "dots" from the fiber optics front and rear will never be as accurate as aligning the outline of a post in a notch.

primarily it's all about vision. all you need out of the rear sight is an appropriate notch. a plain black rear does that best. fiber is just superfluous.

2 hours ago, Nathanb said:

I’ve seen people use bristles from brushes. Cut to fit 

Great idea Nathan...thanks for sharing it. Now to see if my wife will miss some bristles from her brushes. I'm excited to try this as I know I am spending too much time trying to line everything up. 

1 hour ago, rowdyb said:

sharpie colors over fiber as well if you need to lessen it.

Very good, I will try that first. I'm excited to try the blacked out RS as I got a few comments at my first match that I was very deliberate...which is a euphemism for being very slow to acquire the target and reasonably accurate once I did. I am certain this will help my get my sight on target faster. 

Thanks Rowdy. 

The place I taught at in San Diego we would color over any student's rear sight with sharpie over anything that wasn't black. Most liked it. The few that balked at "coloring" on their expensive sights were placated by letting them know rubbing alcohol or acetone would remove it with no marks.

On ‎10‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 7:47 AM, xdr said:

Interesting. I'm going to pop the fiber optic rods out of my rear sight and see if I can plug the holes w something black. I have my second match Saturday so will be a good time to try it. Thanks for the info.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

slap a piece of electrical tape over it and dryfire to see what you think.  Don't experiment in a match :)

EDIT- nvm, I see I'm late to the party and should read the whole thread lol

Edited by JeremiahD

1 hour ago, JeremiahD said:

slap a piece of electrical tape over it and dryfire to see what you think.  Don't experiment in a match :)

EDIT- nvm, I see I'm late to the party and should read the whole thread lol

hahaha...no worries. I do the same from time to time. 

Have had two good dryfire sessions and I really like it. 

zane