Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Easy way to remove the primer punch in 650

On a 650, is there an easier way to remove and replace the primer punch... Such as when you change from small to large primers? I usually use an open-ended wrench but it takes some time to do so and if you're not careful you could mar the end of the punch.  Just wondering if there's an easier way to do this. 

17 minutes ago, chuffysplace said:

On a 650, is there an easier way to remove and replace the primer punch... Such as when you change from small to large primers? I usually use an open-ended wrench but it takes some time to do so and if you're not careful you could mar the end of the punch.  Just wondering if there's an easier way to do this. 

Remove the primer cam 13670 to give a bit more room for the wrench. I also had to chase the threads of the primer seater hole with a tap to remove some galling.

Never saw that before. That's exactly what I have been thinking about making. I was doing a bunch of loading last weekend and had to change it three times (I didn't plan as well as I could have but loading went better than expected so I went in priority order!) and cursed it every time.

On 10/11/2017 at 5:47 PM, chuffysplace said:

Great tips, I have only run small pistol primers in my 650 since I load .45 and 10MM cases on my 550.  I did not realize it was such a pain to remove the primer punch on the 650 but I was thinking about shifting the .45 over to the 650 to run a bunch through there, I might not now.  

On 10/14/2017 at 10:40 AM, cvincent said:

I don't find it to be an issue. Spin it in by hand. Open end 9/16", snug it down. Takes like 10 seconds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

agree, not an issue for me either...