Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Barrel lug peening

stickboy44

Yes, check your slide as well to see if you have unusual wear patterns where those lugs lock in. IIRC, it's a factory QC tolerance issue...if it stays relatively like the wear pattern you have, then no big deal. But you'll most likely see the wear pattern get worse and more jagged the more you shoot.

It is, the barrel lockup timing is off, so the barrel and slide lugs are hammering the crap out of each other. Honestly it's something I've seen with some of the newer iterations associated with some of the documented qc issues with the barrel chambers. As an FYI if you do end up sending it back to EAA for service, you'll most likely have to get a new complete upper...which blows since it's almost the cost of a new s2.

Seen pictures of a few barrels shearing/wearing down the lugs on converted open guns and Gold Team's.  Thought it was due to compensators and hot loads compounded with barrel tolerances, guess not.

Any Gunsmith's weld and refit barrels to correct timing and lockup?

how many rounds it shot?

is it .40 ? 

don't like see things like this.

only 2.5 lugs participating in the load instead of full 3 lugs like  in tan. small frame.

here is post about this from november 10.   2016

תוצאת תמונה עבור ‪tanfoglio sheering lugs‬‏

Edited by yigal

we have 3 with small frame -all 3 lugs inside slide with 20k-30k and they don't have very big wear like this

i changed barrels on my  every 25k ( not heavy bul barrel )and it was not looked like this.

תוצאת תמונה עבור ‪tanfoglio sheering lugs‬‏

Edited by yigal

As mentioned above, usually you see that in the open guns 9 / 38 because of the major power factor,  but nowhere near that severe.

Every Tanfoglio open shooter Iv'e talked to has a slight peen to there top lugs,  and most would still get 50 + thousand rounds out of them.

However in those pictures, there is definitely more than normal wear, which I don't hear to much out of a 9minor Tanfo.

I spoke to one other Tanfo open gun builder a few years back about severely peened top lugs. He said that usually there is something really out of alignment or timing to cause the lugs to get that bad. You can try to gently remove those massive burrs and clean it up a little, but unfortunately there may or may not come a day where the slide and barrel will lock together, about quarter to a half inch out of battery. At that point you'll take a rubber mallet, and beat the slide forward until you can get the take down pin out, and slide the top end off.

You can try a new barrel and hope that the last one was not machined correctly, but as mentioned above there may be something else wrong with the gun. Possibly with the machining of the slide or maybe the position of the slide stop pin, (who knows, just my own speculation,) in which case you might just chew up another barrel.

Might be best to just buy a new gun, JMHO.

As already said unfortunately these are still pretty much off the shelf guns and the QC is not always top of the line.

All that being said, for the money these are still nice guns to play with in competition, and I like them a lot.

Edited by gunnit

35 minutes ago, gunnit said:

You can try a new barrel and hope that the last one was not machined correctly, but as mentioned above there may be something else wrong with the gun. Possibly with the machining of the slide or maybe the position of the slide stop pin, (who knows, just my own speculation,) in which case you might just chew up another barrel.

Pretty much this. You'll spend more time trying to figure out the problem or just get a new upper...which is basically a new gun.

At the Tanfo factory, the people that put all the parts together have a set time to do so. From start to finish, IIRC, it was 45 minutes. This includes fitting the barrel. If they couldn't do it in that time, the gun gets chucked into a bin for later evaluation. 

That being said, I don't think it's an upper problem. I thing what you got was a poorly fit barrel from the factory. 

If it were me, I'd evelaluate how bad the damage is on the slide lugs. If it's not too bad, I'd just replace and refit a new barrel. If ypu buy a new gun or upper, you may just end up with another poorly fit barrel for triple the cost. 

6 hours ago, yigal said:

if that's how they work there in tan. then it's probably the same way everything else in your life was made. 

There. Fixed it for accuracy. ;) 

There’s a reason we pour over our guns and meticulously tweak and polish them. Because factories just stamp them out like cars toasters and everything else.

1 hour ago, MemphisMechanic said:

There’s a reason we pour over our guns and meticulously tweak and polish them. Because factories just stamp them out like cars toasters and everything else.

thank u.

it's correct.:lol:

i can say it  in a positive  way:

if my first handgun that i bought had been working well properly i would not had understood  anything.;)

3 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

Exactly right!

At least tanfos respond well to the work.

I just wish they would sharpen the cutting tools more frequently...

39 minutes ago, Avenida said:

this should be covered under warranty. It is a factory defect due to poor fitting.

At least, here in Canada, for much less I know people that have had the upper replaced.

good service in canada.

for much less in russia 15 years ago people were executedB)

23 minutes ago, johnbu said:

Exactly right!

At least tanfos respond well to the work.

I just wish they would sharpen the cutting tools more frequently...

:lol: 

sharpen cutting tools its over 45 min.;)

i can send u pic. of my tso barrel chamber that have all marks that they "finish" it with broken mill.

Edited by yigal

7 hours ago, yigal said:

:lol: 

sharpen cutting tools its over 45 min.;)

i can send u pic. of my tso barrel chamber that have all marks that they "finish" it with broken mill.

Everyone buys from the lowest price supplier, is it a surprise?