Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How many matches are awarding trophies/plaques based on the new classification system?

chbrow10

I am wondering how many section/state/area steel challenge matches are using the new classification system to award plaques or trophies?  I have been to 3 level 2 matches since the new classification system came out and I haven't seen anyone award anything other than 1-2-3 overall in each division.  What are others seeing?  

I just shot the East Coast Steel Challenge Championship yesterday and today and I believe it is just Lewis Class payout to the top 3 in each division. I don't think they're doing plaques or anything like that.

I really enjoyed the match and wish they did acknowledge class awards. Just an at a boy for perhaps first in your class at least . It would great to spread a bit of the excitement . Shows that your hard work and practice is paying off. I mean I'm not for everyone getting a participation trophy . I don't know l maybe all alone on this one so if I am forget I said anything [emoji38]

I really enjoyed the match and wish they did acknowledge class awards. Just an at a boy for perhaps first in your class at least . It would great to spread a bit of the excitement . Shows that your hard work and practice is paying off. I mean I'm not for everyone getting a participation trophy . I don't know l maybe all alone on this one so if I am forget I said anything [emoji38]

I see your point. I'm not all for the everyone gets a trophy thing either but a shoutout is cool.

I ended up taking a Carry Optics win but with a whooping 10 people shooting that division I'm thinking I'll shoot Open next year. But then I have to compete against Doug :)

Well I was lucky enough to snag 3rd in PCC . I still would like to see folks get that thumbs up for first in their division. Doesn't need to be fireworks and a band . A certificate you can bring home with the smile you did well . As far a Doug I'm sure you could give him a run for his money . Anyone can have a jam [emoji16]. I'm not wishing that in anybody just saying

• 1 month later...

The benefits of a classification system are so you can compete against others in your skill range, yes?  I'm just wondering why we are not seeing more of a USPSA-type award system with the new SC classification system.  I've never been a match director, so I'm clueless about how hard this is.  I'm sure there is a reason...

On 9/24/2017 at 11:50 AM, ZackJones said:

We did class awards at Steel Nationals this year and at WSSC as well. I will be doing class awards at SC State next month. East Coast doesn’t do class awards.

Do those get mailed or is it something that happens post match?

Do those get mailed or is it something that happens post match?

Plaques were pre-ordered and handed out based registration entries on a specific date. I like the way GA State USPSA is handling it. If you are eligible for a plaque your name will be sent to Manny Bragg and if you want a plaque he will create it and mail it. The match will be billed for the plaque.

Here in the Midwest, only seeing top 3 in divisions having enough entires.  Hit and miss category plaques.  Honestly, Nebraska State was my personal favorite with personalized medals.  They mailed them out a week or so later and arrived with name on it.  My opinion leans toward class plaques are a bit hard to justify on smaller matches, even level II matches.  Nationals, etc, has higher turn out, so that would be a good place to do it.  Basically, its probably not financially sound to be handing out awards to such a large percent of your smaller match field.  Not to mention diluting the award ceremony.  lol.

Edited by Hammer002

5 hours ago, ZackJones said:

Plaques were pre-ordered and handed out based registration entries on a specific date. I like the way GA State USPSA is handling it. If you are eligible for a plaque your name will be sent to Manny Bragg and if you want a plaque he will create it and mail it. The match will be billed for the plaque.

I get that this is not convenient to the awards ceremony and having something to take home immediately, but I can certainly see where its a big win for the match; not wasting money on a bunch of plaques that the folk who win them don't bother to collect. I like it. One less worry in the match prep as well.

On 11/7/2017 at 2:13 PM, wgj3 said:

I get that this is not convenient to the awards ceremony and having something to take home immediately, but I can certainly see where its a big win for the match; not wasting money on a bunch of plaques that the folk who win them don't bother to collect. I like it. One less worry in the match prep as well.

The counterpoint to this is for a major match, where there are several days of shooting, people will travel from outside the area to shoot it.  People generally want to hit the road because of other commitments etc.  I would have hung around to collect plaques, but missed that there would be awards after the shooting was done on Saturday.  Not a big deal, just different from USPSA majors I've shot where awards go out later.

On 11/6/2017 at 7:53 AM, ZackJones said:

Good idea.  Personally, if I"m not 1st, I doubt that I'd have anybody waste money making me a plaque to remind me that I wasn't 1st.  

I personally love the new classification system because it allows shooters to pursue personal growth goals which are based in real scientific data.  By extension, it also allows any match--whether Level I or Level III--to be treated by the individual shooter as a national level match because you're able to essentially compare yourself to everyone else in SCSA, and that's a beautiful thing.  

Having said that, I would REALLY hate to see classifications even being acknowledged at Level III matches.  The point of SC is to see who is the fastest of the match, NOT to see who is the fastest of the mid-pack.  This is just my opinion, but I'll add in that it's pretty sad how USPSA allows a system where somebody works their butt off to be an M or GM and gets a Swiss Army Knife off the prize table because they came in 4th in class, while 1st in A gets to go to the table ahead of them and walks away with something that might pay his match fee.  PLEASE, please SCSA, don't go that route.  IMHO, plaques, prize table stuff, etc., should be awarded in the order of 1st overall in each gun category, then 2nd overall in each gun category, then 3rd overall in each gun category... and if something is left over after that, then good for everybody else and continue divvying it however based on the number of entries within the particular categories.  If this system is enforced across the board at SCSA matches, then it would make sandbagging the classification system a non-issue, and honesty within the classification system benefits the Association as a whole.  

I agree and disagree with the above. Getting to go to the prize table because your first A before 4th master is fine in my book. I’m saying that knowing I’m going to be the 4,5,6 GM. Folks work just as hard to reach B or A and deserve some recognition too. Sandbaggers can only do this for so long and move up reluctantly perhaps. The part that I kind of agree on wasn’t actually touched is , Lewis system . 1st 2n and 3rd Shooters should get the most money and 22rd,24th and 25th etc should get a lower value . What I mean is the 3rd place should get more that the 22nd place and that doesn’t always happen. It seems like I’m babbling but in my head makes perfect sense[emoji13] just my opinion not trying to tweak anyone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree and disagree with the above. Getting to go to the prize table because your first A before 4th master is fine in my book. I’m saying that knowing I’m going to be the 4,5,6 GM. Folks work just as hard to reach B or A and deserve some recognition too. Sandbaggers can only do this for so long and move up reluctantly perhaps. The part that I kind of agree on wasn’t actually touched is , Lewis system . 1st 2n and 3rd Shooters should get the most money and 22rd,24th and 25th etc should get a lower value . What I mean is the 3rd place should get more that the 22nd place and that doesn’t always happen. It seems like I’m babbling but in my head makes perfect sense[emoji13] just my opinion not trying to tweak anyone

At least you get a trip to the prize table. I attended my first WSSC this year and shot rimfire and PCC, which had no trips to the prize table. That was an expensive lesson I don't wish to repeat.

On 9/24/2017 at 11:50 AM, ZackJones said:

We did class awards at Steel Nationals this year and at WSSC as well. I will be doing class awards at SC State next month. East Coast doesn’t do class awards.

Very, very cool.  I just shot the Kentucky State Steel Challenge match and walked away with three medals - two gold class medals, and one silver division medals. 

This just cemented my decision to shoot Nationals in the Spring.

Edited by RolexJohn

On 11/10/2017 at 10:59 AM, Slow250 said:

The counterpoint to this is for a major match, where there are several days of shooting, people will travel from outside the area to shoot it.  People generally want to hit the road because of other commitments etc.  I would have hung around to collect plaques, but missed that there would be awards after the shooting was done on Saturday.  Not a big deal, just different from USPSA majors I've shot where awards go out later.

If I knew that class awards were going to be handed out, I would stick around to see if I won anything and applaud for those who did (assuming awards are on the same day that I shoot). If there are multiple days when the whole match can be shot in one day, then the match directors should expect that people are shooting and scooting.

If there is no communication on this matter from the match director ahead of time, I am shooting and scooting.  I've only gone to a few (maybe three) Level 2 steel challenge matches, and the Match Directors at all those matches didn't disclose anything ahead of time.  Even after being asked.  

14 hours ago, ZackJones said:

Which matches?

I really don't want to start calling out match directors on the forum.  I appreciate what they do, am glad they do it, and don't want to throw specific people under the bus.  The intent of the post was to figure out why we are not seeing more of the USPSA-style prize structure when we (you specifically, Zack) went through the trouble of establishing a USPSA-style classification system (actually two of them by my count).

There must be a reason, so I'd just like to know why.  (seeking first to understand)

I really don't want to start calling out match directors on the forum.  I appreciate what they do, am glad they do it, and don't want to throw specific people under the bus.  The intent of the post was to figure out why we are not seeing more of the USPSA-style prize structure when we (you specifically, Zack) went through the trouble of establishing a USPSA-style classification system (actually two of them by my count).

There must be a reason, so I'd just like to know why.  (seeking first to understand)

Email me at zack@uspsa.org then. I want to know because if PractiScore or the web site is accepting level 2 results without 75 entries that’s a bug that needs to be fixed.

As far as award recommendations go we are adding an appendix for that in the new rules.