Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Magazine guide/brake on Shadow

mikeinctown

I have an SP-01 Shadow and a 75-SP-01. The mag guide on the shadow is a thick non bendable metal which just slides into place from the side while the grips are off while the one on the regular SP-01 is a spring steel that frigging bends and clips into place into the mainspring plug. (total PIA that I still can't get used to)

Can the spring steel guide be cut so that it doesn't clip into place in the plug? Figured I'd ask before cutting, ruining, and needing to order replacement parts.

And will the Shadow mag guide fit a regular SP-01?

Edited by mikeinctown

I seem to recall trimming that bottom loop so just a tab that stuck into the plug was left. Of course, I also flattened the brake so mags would drop free. I don't recall any issue with it*. But it was about 10 years ago. I no longer have the gun.

Later,

Chuck

*ETA: it worked for a 9K round season ;)

Edited by ChuckS

Order the thicker mag brake from CZ Custom or Cajun Gun Works. It will fit your SP-01. If not, one day during a fast mag change (most likely during a competition), you will fold up the spindly OEM mag brake, jamb your gun and screw up a really good stage. Ask me how I know. :)

Edited by fastlane604
misspelled word

I got a question for y'all if you guys have a moment - and if I missed it with my search then I apologize, I searched and didn't find anything. 

I recently got an Accu Shadow (1500 rounds thru it), and I also own a standard SP-01 that I cajunized myself.

My Accu Shadow has these strange features:

1.  The Hammer Spring Plug (HSP) looks different from the HSP I bought from CGW recently for my standard SP-01.  The Accu has a plug that it looks like it was ground/filed/modified to fit the non bendable magazine guide/brake.  It also has a "closed bottom" unlike my other recent one from CGW that has a "C" open bottom.  The sloped edge of my Accu Shadow HSP also looks like it was ground so its a straight diagonal while the untouched HSP has a more vertical drop before going diagonal.  The ground HSP actually is harder to get that brake in there.

Question: did I get the wrong or perhaps older style HSP in my Accu Shadow?

It functions perfectly and is more of an annoyance since I have to push it with a nylon punch in and out the right depth to wiggle the brake in there and it seems not right.  However it is functional.  With my other HSP I can just push with my finger to get the bendy brake in.

Ofcourse it did not dawn on me to switch the HSPs to see if they were compatible, I will do that tomorrow.

2.  On a second note I noticed my magazine guide pin (the upper pin that holds the brake in place) was pretty bent up.  Not a problem since I already bought a new replacement.  I was wondering if this bent pin was perhaps a symptom of something underlying that this strange HSP I have is causing?  Likely it was just beat into place wrongly previously?  It was not by me. : )

You think I should change my HSP or should I not even worry about it?

Again in retrospect I guess I should have addressed this before I made the recent order with CGW : p seems silly now to pay $8 shipping on an $8 part.

Thanks for your time and feedback.

shadowplugpin.jpg

Edited by Sniperboy

My Shadow Target plug has the closed end plug like the one on the right, though I do not remember if looks ground down. I have a new one coming from CZ which should be here this morning as I'm changing out the non flat one on my SP-01 and will let you know what it looks like.

On 9/3/2017 at 4:15 PM, fastlane604 said:

Order the thicker mag brake from CZ Custom or Cajun Gun Works. It will fit your SP-01. If not, one day during a fast mag change (most likely during a competition), you will fold up the spindly OEM mag brake, jamb your gun and screw up a really good stage. Ask me how I know. :)

^^^^^^ That^^^^^^.   Really creative way to zero a stage and provide some entertainment for the rest of the squad. 

Especially if you try to hammer a mag in and pry it out TWICE on the clock before you figure out  there is a problem. (slow learner).    

CZC shows different part numbers for Shadow and SP-01.    

OK, the new parts came in a minute back and the new plug they sent me was #10042 Full Size Flat MS Plug and it looks like the one shown on the left hand side of the photo a couple posts up. (channel goes all the way through)

The mag guide/brake is part number #10048 and is labeled as CZ75  Full Mag Brake STL (stainless) This is the one for the Shadow Target variant but CZC told me it will fit my stock SP-01 as well. Going to hit them with the polisher before install and make them all pretty.

Thanks for the feedback Mike - appreciate your time.  Just for education purposes, I'll play around this weekend and see if they can be switched.  If you ever take down your Shadow someday let me know how your "closed" hammer spring plug looks like - if it looks modified or whatnot : )

Edited by Sniperboy

1 hour ago, Sniperboy said:

Thanks for the feedback Mike - appreciate your time.  Just for education purposes, I'll play around this weekend and see if they can be switched.  If you ever take down your Shadow someday let me know how your "closed" hammer spring plug looks like - if it looks modified or whatnot : )

Well I know from talking to the person at CZC on Tuesday that the shadow flat plug I got and the 75 plug with the loop on it are interchangeable. (and it's probably been said here like 10,001 times) The flat one cost me $9 and it didn't cost any more to ship so I just added it on to my order. For $9 I would just order a new one the next time you order springs and other refresh parts. The mag brake cost me $10 and if it means I never have to deal with that pain in the a$$ spring steel with the clip again, I'm all about spending that $10. As Ben says, Ain't nobody got time for that sh.. 

That upper pin never needs to be hit with anything.  You can push it in with your finger tip when it's all lined up properly.

Even the lower pin will push in, if you've got the cup lined up properly.

Don't know why anyone would feel the need to grind/file on the cup in that location

Looks like I may have answered my own question as expected (facepalm) the left plug shown in my pic (with the C bottom) is from CGW, and the picture on CZC site #10042 shows the (older?) plug on the right.  According to mikeinctown CZC is now shipping the C plug same as CGW in my pic.

Upon switching the plugs I have I have found that the C is easier to maneuver the non-bendy brake with.  You can remove the non-bendy brake without removing the C plug.  Not the case with the closed plug.

The closed bottom style is just a pain in the ass.

I'll just purchase another C bottom plug in my next big order to save on shipping : )  Thanks guys for the clues.

18 hours ago, M1A4ME said:

That upper pin never needs to be hit with anything.  You can push it in with your finger tip when it's all lined up properly.

Even the lower pin will push in, if you've got the cup lined up properly.

Don't know why anyone would feel the need to grind/file on the cup in that location

The new stainless ones I got have a snug hole. So while the old one just about fell out on the Shadow, I had to tap the pin in with the back of a screwdriver. On my regular SP-01 the spring steel was also snug and required the small punch to pop out and also required the screwdriver to pop back in. Not trying to argue, but just putting it out there just in case someone thinks their stuff is messed up because the pin isn't loose.

Yup, no matter what people think, they are not all the same.  Not all the guns, not all the pins.  If I only had one and it was tight, I'd probably think all of them were.  All of mine are loose/easy to push in/out.  Sometimes they fall out while I'm flipping the frame over to install the bottom pin (have to keep an eye on it).

Have a good one.