Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ad After Reload

KentG

IF I complete a reload, mag seated and weak hand gripping pistol, and I accidently touch off a round in the process of aquiring a target and the round goes into a berm several yards away, but in the clear direction of the target, is that still considered a DQ ? I have read rule 10.4 and it seems as long as the round went into a berm I should have been OK. I need to get a better look at the vidio but I think I got hosed on this one. I hadnt read the AD rules closely enough and just thought letting one go early was enough. The way I see it as long as the round stayed in the berm/bay it didnt matter. Not a good thing to do but not a DQ. Live and learn.

Sounds like you didn't have control of the weapon when it went off.  Smile, take the DQ and learn from your mistake, don't try to put the blame on the RO.

I in no way blame the RO, I just want clarafication. I fully admit letting the round go, it just so happens that the identical thing happened on the next stage to another shooter with a different RO and while I didnt hear the full conversation with the MD who was called that shooter was allowed to continue. It was remarked by shooters in the squad his round actually left the bay. I didnt get involved because I didnt want to be a part of someone else getting DQ'd.

If you were aquiring a target and touched one off that didn't go over the berm (10.4.1) or didn't hit within 10 feed (3m) (10.4.2) then the green book speaks in your favor. Not having been there, I would never second guess anyones actions, but if you had been up on your rules or had the green book in your bag, you might have been able to continue.

I understand your consternation however if the shooter in the next bay performed a similar action with a different outcome.

Consistancy is the key.

FWIW

dj

I was there, got the video of it, and saw both incidents....There was not consistancy in applying the rules on the calls made, both were AD's, both were in the process of bringing the gun up to a sight picture after a reload.

I felt bad for tnek, but he stuck around helped paste and paint for the rest of the match, it was a tough break, but a Lesson Learned for both of us, know the rules of the sport.

Not having been there, I would never second guess anyones actions,

First, I agree with dajarrel's comment. It is very difficult to call something like this without actually seeing it.

Second, you said the round hit the berm and 'went in clear direction of the target'. Were you moving at the time? If so, 10.4.6 may apply.

Third, since you said 'weak hand gripping pistol' I assume that you had clearly completed the transfer of the gun to your weak hand. If the RO viewed you letting one go while in process of the transfer, then 10.4.5. would apply.

In any case, I think the best thing to do is to ask the RO to give you the rule that he is DQing you under. Technically, the RO has to note the reasons for the DQ anyway (10.3.2), although that step often gets skipped at club matches (in fact, we had one today at our club match, but I witnessed it and do the stats, so I know that it was a 10.5.3 call).

Hope this helps.... ;)

You can't be a little bit pregnant.

You know what you did and if you did it. I wouldn't make a stink because an RO, who may not even be certified, can't put the decimal in the right place while quoting a rule. Take your lumps and come back next week. The guy in the next bay should have done it also.

Sorry for your misfortune, most of us have been there, and it sucks.

It's like a motorcycle wreck.......not if, but when.

I think you did the right thing by hanging around and helping out.

Not to get too far off topic, and I don't like to debate rules, but I think this is the screwiest (yeah, it's a word) rule in the book.

By the book, if there is a target within view anywhere on the range you can pretty much crack off unintentional rounds all day long with no penalty. But your finger in the trigger while moving and not engaging targets is a DQ. How many times you seen that one called?

We've all seen AD's, and when one happens; the shooter, the RO, and everyone in the gallery knows exactly what happened. Man up, put your gear away, and help paste the rest of the day!!

I realize why the rule is written the way it is, it's impossible to prove what someone's intentions were. But like I said when one happens, everybody knows it.

Sorry, been wanting to say that for a while.

probably not many folks call the moving with the finger in the trigger gaurd one because for the most part, most ADs happen when someone torches one off while reloading or being a little to ambitious while drawing the gun.

The first time i went and practiced hard with a 1911 instead of my glock i ripped one off during the load...man was that scary.

i have never had that happen again...

whats even scarier is the shot after the unload and show clear command..

IF clear, slide foreward, hammer down and holster...bam..i saw this once at a match and at least twice at the range where folks forget the UNLOAD AND SHOW CLEAR...and just drop the hammer.

thankfully its never happened to me...yet

tnek while every RO should know the rules a lot of people are just skipping over highlights. The match director may not know any more than an average RO. I am glad you stayed and I hope you will take the time to sit down and read the rule book again. Be mindful that certain things apply at Level I matches that are not legal or applicable at Level II and above.