Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What Weight Spring For A Xd Tactical In .40?

sasquatch981

I just picked up a new (to me) XD Tactical in .40 with the canyon creek 2lb trigger work. I was wondering what recoil spring I should use for this. I am going to be playing in both production, and L10 with the toy and know I will need (2) different springs one for each division, as my load for production is minor, and L10 is major. Any ideas for a soft flat shooting spring?

My loads are these:

180 Grain MasterBlaster Moly Coats

3.6 Grains VV320 for Minor

4.5 Grains VV320 for Major

Federal Small Pistol Primers

LE once fired brass

Thanks

I'm shooting Limited-10 Major with my XD-40 Tactical and I am running a 16# spring over a Solid Stainless Steel after market guide rod. This works pretty good with a major load, not sure about the minor load.

HTH

mcb

I use a 14# spring for my 40 5", no problems with cycling at all.

My minor load is 180 moly bullet with 3.5 gr of titegroup, or 3.6 VV320. 1.130" oal. Other than sights and canyon creek trigger, thats it. I found the other guide rods useless. Unless you really need the weight up front.

What kind of velocity are you getting out of the 3.5 of Titegroup? I've been loading 3.2 of Titegroup with the 180gr JHP expecting to make the Minor PF for production class. Haven't cronographed yet, but it "Feels" right.

M4, if you don't have a timer already, when you do buy one get the Pact MK IV with the Chrony and then you will KNOW. I really like that unit with the extra features like the comstock function. Sorry for the little of the topic plug.

Rick

• 11 months later...

I'm gearing up to use my XD40 Service (4") nightstand pistol for production, shooting 155gr plated bullets at 135PF (measured out of a G35).

Would the 14# spring also work for this shorter XD? What range of spring weights should I get to find the right one?

THX!

An #18 fixed rate recoil spring is the magic weight for the Tactical (9mm-.40) in major or minor. Yes a lighter spring can be run but it will eventually fail you at some point. Ejection will be a shorter distance as you go down in power factor with the #18. I've run .40's at 115 pf with an #18 spring, the brass just rolls out over your hand.

Rich

• 4 weeks later...
An #18 fixed rate recoil spring is the magic weight for the Tactical (9mm-.40) in major or minor. Yes a lighter spring can be run but it will eventually fail you at some point. Ejection will be a shorter distance as you go down in power factor with the #18. I've run .40's at 115 pf with an #18 spring, the brass just rolls out over your hand.

Rich

Rich,

Thank you much for your reply. I forgot I've posted the question here and asked it in another forum.

Anyway, I'll do what you suggest, however, you tell me #18 is the ticket for the XD Tactical and I'm talking about the SERVICE size (4" barrel). Does the #18 weight still apply the same? Also, what guide rod do I have to use?

Gracias again!

• 4 weeks later...

This might be off the topic, but has anyone had problems with the slide coming out of battery when doing a reload with lighter recoil springs in their XDs? It seams that the striker spring is pulling the slide out of battery when I "slam" the mag in. I have talked with Rich about this, and I have tried 18#, and 20# springs, and the problem didn't stop untill I used a 22# spring.

PS Rich if you are out there my gun has been running at 100% since I got it back except for the reload thing.

Thanks Mike

I have been using a 16lb spring in my XD-40 Tactical and never had a problem with it coming out of battery. If a shake the gun real hard I can shake it out of battery, especially as the spring gets used more. I have been changing my spring approximately every 3000 rounds and have never had a problem traced to my recoil spring. For that matter I have had very few problems in general with my XD.

mcb

I started using a 16# spring when I first got my gun back from Rich, because that was what I was using in my STI, and it was ok untill I started to push a little harder then I started to have problems with the slide coming out battery when doing reloads. I talked to Rich and he said to use a 18#, and I have been working my way up from there. I had tried using a 20# spring, and it worked when I test fired it with about 50 rds, and 10-12 reloads, then about 50 rds into my next match it came out of battery on every reload. I am now using a 22#spring and it seems to be working.

I realy like the XDs, but if I can't get this gun to work 100% I'm going to start looking for a new Production gun to use next year.

I started using a 16# spring when I first got my gun back from Rich, because that was what I was using in my STI, and it was ok untill I started to push a little harder then I started to have problems with the slide coming out battery when doing reloads. I talked to Rich and he said to use a 18#, and I have been working my way up from there. I had tried using a 20# spring, and it worked when I test fired it with about 50 rds, and 10-12 reloads, then about 50 rds into my next match it came out of battery on every reload. I am now using a 22#spring and it seems to be working.

I realy like the XDs, but if I can't get this gun to work 100% I'm going to start looking for a new Production gun to use next year.

Are you sure your get the right spring? Could you be buying springs for a 4inch (service) XD and putting it in you 5inch (tactical) XD? Are the new springs aproximately the same uncompress length as you orginal factory spring? I played with the heavier spring in my XD's and I can't see an XD coming out of battery when inserting a mag with a 20# spring.

Curious

mcb

I am using ISMI springs for a 1911, which are the same as the springs for the XD Tacticals, as far as I know.

With a empty gun with the striker down, I can, while holding the trigger back, I slam a mag in like I'm doing a reload, and have the striker reset when I have anything less then a 20# spring in it. If I have a snap cap in the chamber, and one in the mag, and do the same thing, the slide will slip out of battery about a 1/6th"- 1/8th".

I know a lot of people shooting XDs without this problem, but they don't shoot as fast as I do (3-5 second reloads compared to my 1.4-1.8 second reloads)

I like shooting my XD, because it's about the same as the gun I carry every day, but if I can't get it to work soon, I'm trading in in for a CZ 75 SP01.

I am using ISMI springs for a 1911, which are the same as the springs for the XD Tacticals, as far as I know.

With a empty gun with the striker down, I can, while holding the trigger back, I slam a mag in like I'm doing a reload, and have the striker reset when I have anything less then a 20# spring in it. If I have a snap cap in the chamber, and one in the mag, and do the same thing, the slide will slip out of battery about a 1/6th"- 1/8th".

I know a lot of people shooting XDs without this problem, but they don't shoot as fast as I do (3-5 second reloads compared to my 1.4-1.8 second reloads)

I like shooting my XD, because it's about the same as the gun I carry every day, but if I can't get it to work soon, I'm trading in in for a CZ 75 SP01.

Hmmm... Don't know exactly what to tell you on the 1911 springs. Are you using full size 1911 springs? Do you have to cut coils off them to make them work? The spring many XD shooter are using in there Tactical XD's are 1911 commander length springs.

What guide rod are you using? The original factory guide rod or an after market one? If you put the original recoil spring and guild rod (assuming your using aftermarket) back into the gun do you still have the battery problem?

Before you get rid of you XD may I suggest one last thing. Give www.pistolgear.com a try. Order one of their 18# springs for a Tactical length XD and see if that works. I know those spring are the correct springs for and XD Tactical. Pistol Gear specializes in XD parts and they have always treated me pretty darn good when ordering parts and accessories for my XD.

mcb

Recoild spring for my XD40 SERVICE. See my question above.

Anyone? Anyone?

Get the Don's guide rod and spring combo from pistol gear 18# seem to ensure good operation.But you can cut down 16 and 14 if the gun is good and broke in.

I bought some from sprinco for my service.send me a pm and I will search up the data to get the length correct if you need.

I run 16 and 18 in my tac with mostly min load 185 percision molly with 3.2 tite.I tried 3.1 but the ejection was very weak.

After 2000 rounds on hard mag changes it starts to slip out of battery.But when the gun was tight and new it would slip out even with a new 16.

185 Percision moly's

3.2 grains tite group

winchester small pistol primer

Shot 300 of these friday and they worked great.

These are my start up to get the 3.2 16# spring in a tac

185 grain loaded with 3.4 grains made 806 fps. 149pf

Loaded with 3.1 grains 772 fps 143 pf.

I am going to load and shoot another hundred of the 3.1 but so far they function great no smoke or build up and best of all out of the 100 I shot not one tumbler in sight.

I rapid fired 12 and 11 hit the target @ .24 second splits Last on went over the top.was actually a pretty tight group for force feeding

With my XD40 service I keep the stock guide rod and spring in it when not using it for competition. But when shooting it in IDPA and using the 9mm conversion barrel and 147gr rainiers over 3.4 N320 for about 130PF I used a cut down 14lb 1911 spring. When you have it loaded and the striker cocked, it can come out of battery fairly easily, but if the striker is not cocked it stays no problem. In competition, I have not had this be a problem, but then again, if I am slamming a new mag in on the clock, then I was probably at slide lock anyways.

So far, with either the 14lb or 16lb springs, it has not been a problem at all, just make sure it is in battery after holstering it and before the draw, then it goes bang every time. I would never carry it that way, but then again, I would not use 130pf ammo for carry either...

~Nick

mcb

I have a Don's guide rod, and the factory one, and have had this problem with both. As for the spring length I have been using 1911 springs (uncut) because that is what you get from Pistol Gear when you order one for the Tacticals. I would think what if you used a comander spring that it would be shorter, and just add to the problem.

I have been having better luck with a 22# spring, but everyone is telling me that it's too much spring, and if no one eles is running into this with 16-18# springs, what is wrong with my gun? I was thinking that the barrel could be worn, and cause it not to lock up tight, but I hate to throw more money at it by getting a new barrel, and have it still not work (the gun only has about 3000-4000rds through it).

mcb

I have a Don's guide rod, and the factory one, and have had this problem with both. As for the spring length I have been using 1911 springs (uncut) because that is what you get from Pistol Gear when you order one for the Tacticals. I would think what if you used a comander spring that it would be shorter, and just add to the problem.

I have been having better luck with a 22# spring, but everyone is telling me that it's too much spring, and if no one eles is running into this with 16-18# springs, what is wrong with my gun? I was thinking that the barrel could be worn, and cause it not to lock up tight, but I hate to throw more money at it by getting a new barrel, and have it still not work (the gun only has about 3000-4000rds through it).

I hate to ask but why don't you just send it to S.a? (Lifetime Warranty)

mcb

The way I understand it, the striker spring has enough power to overcome the weaker 16# recoil springs when it is cocked. The way the striker sits on the sear, there is simply not enough pressure to keep the slide fully in battery. I am by no means a gunsmith, but I have been wondering if a low power striker spring might fix, or hide this issue?

mcb

The way I understand it, the striker spring has enough power to overcome the weaker 16# recoil springs when it is cocked. The way the striker sits on the sear, there is simply not enough pressure to keep the slide fully in battery. I am by no means a gunsmith, but I have been wondering if a low power striker spring might fix, or hide this issue?

I think you might be on to something here. I am running a 16# spring and have not had a problem but what if AlphaLaundry had disassemble the striker part of the slide and in reassuming it put it back together in such a way that increase the pre-load on the striker spring. This could cause greater force on the sear and thus pull the gun out of battery. There are guys over at www.XDTalk.com that are using 14# spring in their 9mm without real problems. I think its possible the end of the striker spring got caught or bound up on the end of the plastic insert that guides the striker cocked indicator and thus putting more force on the strike.

Just a shot in the dark

mcb