Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2005 Mason-dixon 3 Gun Championship

Hot off the Press !

MPSA will be holding the 2005 Mason-Dixon 3-gun championship in Thurmont Maryland... September 16, 17, 18.

Go to http://www.MPSA.net/ for details and registration form

Will be Open and Limited divisions (see web site for specifics on where tactical rifles fit in)... with $400 for 1st place, $200 for 2nd place, and $100 for 3rd place in each division~!! :D:rolleyes::D

9 stages (3 with rifle, 3 with pistol, and 3 with shotgun) - total over 200 rounds

Nice facility with camping available (check with Match Director for access details)

What more could you ask for as a warm up to the 3-gun nationals ?!~?!

Match fee is $90 postmarked by Aug 15th, and $60 for junior by Aug 15th.

Please register early as space is limited. ;)

Hey Adam, My entry is in the mail. Let me know if you have room for a small side match, we can bring the side match with us and set it up. One speed shoot and a couple small stages for the shotgun. Later, Karl @ GT

What - no he-man?!?! As the former "he-man of Thurmont" I was really looking forward to some excessive ft-lb fun at the next match. Oh well. Bam bam, Bill, Don & the rest of the ccrew always put on a GREAT 3 gun match & this one promises to be a doozy! Its good of you guys to put this on. As for no he-man, I'll just break out the mouse gun & see everyone at the range w/ a few other local 3-gunners in tow. Really looking forward to this one. Regards,

D.C. Johnson

No "tactical" divison is a real bummer, since it is the most popular 3 gun division. I would rather have it than Limited, but if that is all that is offered I'll probably still go.

If the match is a big success this year, and there is a strong call for "Tactical" in the future, we can add that for next year's match. This year we decided to offer only 2 divisions to be able to make a more substantial prize offering to each. We will also have access to even bigger bays in the future to make a scoped-rifle stage more fun and challenging.

Support this match and we will continue to grow as a regional 3-gun club offering bigger and better matches every year. :)

a

I understand that the longest rifle shot is less then 100 yards so my dot-sighted Tactical rifle will do fine as an Open gun. I happen to have both an Open and Limited handgun and I still have my speed-loaders and 10 round tube laying around from when I shot shotgun Open. However, I think you should reconsider not having a Tactical class. I think most Tactical shooters are Limited shooters who happen to do better with an optic on their rifle. Here are some numbers from the two larger USPSA rifle matches held this year in the Northeast. At the NY State Action Rifle Championship there were 25 Open, 19 Limited (Standard), and 55 Tactical shooters. At the Topton USPSA Rifle match we had 16 Open, 14 Limited (Standard) and 39 Tactical shooters. You probably will lose some entrants without Tactical class.

Looks like I'll have to drag out my limited rifle, cause I sure ain't gonna builda an open shotgun for one match. BamBam, I think as Bill said, you should reconsider the Tactical Class, Every match seems to have that as the major division these days.

I didn't think I was the only one that had a problem with the match not having a tactical division. I have an Open pistol, but can't spend the money to build an open shotgun. I love Limited but at 43 I don't have the eyes for iron rifle sights.

Besides, a rifle is just more fun with a dot. Guess I'll save my money for Mississippi.

FWIW. At all the major 3 gun matches I attend and at our local club matches, Tactical is by far the largest division. Next is Open (but always smaller than Tactical) and dead a$$ last is Limited. Even HM gets more competitors than Limited. Tactical is fully half the 3 gun customer base nowadays and to ignore it is to ignore half your target audience.

--

Regards,

The idea was that we wanted to stay with two divisions to be able to offer a good chunk of prize money to the winners. Open class is an obvious choice. And the trouble was choosing between Limited and Tactical. The logic was that a Limited guy would have to buy optics to hang with the Tactical guys, where a tactical guy could simply take his rifle scope off for a match. That seemed an unfair burden to put on Limited guys. If we go Tactical then Limited goes away altogether. Given the reasoning behind the decision, what do you guys think?

It is more expensive for me to build an open shotgun, train on how to reload it then it is for a limited shooter to buy a cheap optic for an AR. If you shoot tactical as your match division on a regular basis to go back to shooting limited for one match takes away from the enjoyment of competition. It also limits you ability to compete because it is a different way of shooting.

It is cheaper and easier for a limited shooter to put a $40 BSA optic on an AR and learn to shoot faster then it would be for a tactical shooter to buy flip up iron sights and try to learn to shoot slower. It will cost me $40 to $80 dollars for a carry handle mount with a set of rear sights to shoot limited. If I still didn't have the old front post it would be more. Of course the expense for a tactical shooter to go to open goes without saying.

For me, I never go to a match for the payback, and I get just as much if not more pride in a plaque that shows an accomplishment.

Perhaps you could offer payback for 1st place in Open, Limited and Tactical and simply trophies for 2nd and 3rd in the same divisions.

If nothing else everybody on the forum should applaud you for your efforts to hold a match. It takes a lot of work especially for 3gun, and no matter what you decide I may shoot the match just to support your efforts. Thank you

Make it tactical instead of limited. If you shoot tactical, the competitor has the option to use either... an optic or iron sights on the rifle.

Most will opt for the optic, however, there are some pretty darn good iron sight rifle shooters around. Even at our local club, some of the guys just prefer to use the irons. It's not that they can't afford an optic, or don't want to mess with an optic, they just shoot really well with irons.

The idea was that we wanted to stay with two divisions to be able to offer a good chunk of prize money to the winners. 

By eliminating tactical division, you will alienate the bottom 50% (no offense intended - hell I am there) to offer a greater reward to the top 1%. With a large loss of entries due to not having the most popular division, there won't be that much prize money left.

Isn't this a uspsa sanctioned match and if so why not have all divisions as currently allowed? You have a higher probability of pulling in a few more shooters. At least for myself, I made the decision last year to put all effort into the scope-tact division. Taking the scope off and putting irons back on would be handicapping myself. Hope you guys rethink this.

I think the group as a whole seems very much in favor of a combined Limited/Tactical division. I haven't heard any Limited purists offering a counter to this proposition. It seems that the 3-gun world has really embraced the Tactical class as being the new way to play Limited.

Let us do some quick figuring and see what would be the best way to implement this kind of change.

We aim to please. You guys just keep aiming. :);):)

Bam,

You and the others from up north are invited to come down anytime to our 3g match at St. Charles. Next match will be in a couple of weeks. We've been running about 25-35 shooters every month. We try our best to offer something a little different in stage design at each match. Here are a few things that people can write home about....high round counts, a lot of rifle steel, and stages that require two and three guns. The whirlygig "star" is a gas when placed out at 100 yds or more.

Sterling

If I had a choice I would rather shoot Tactical. There are a lot of 3 gun and tactical matches in the next few months, and almost everybody else recognizes the tactical division. I think my performance suffers if I have to switch my sights between matches. For a guy that may only have access to a range 1 or 2 times between matches he may be forced to spend his time just sighting in rather than getting in some quality practice. I'll shoot limited or tactical, but I think Tactical will attract more shooters and be more competitive.

Latest from Bill Allred at MPSA:

In September, MPSA will be holding a major 3 gun match at Thurmont.

The dates are September 16, 17 and 18, with setup on the 14th and

15th.

There will be 9 stages, 3 each for pistol, rifle and shotgun. The

approximate round counts are:

Pistol: 74 Rounds + Chrono

Rifle: 81 rounds + Chrono

Shotgun: 12 Slugs + 37 Shot (size 7 1/2 or smaller)

There will be 2 Divisions only: Open and Limited. If the pistol or

shotgun you will be shooting does not meet the requirements for

Limited under USPSA rules, you will be shooting in the Open Division

for all 3 guns.

Tactical Division rifles will be allowed in the Limited Division.

This is a change from the original match announcement. If you have

already registered as Open due to a dot or scope on your rifle (and

have a Limited Division pistol and shotgun), you may re-register as

Limited by responding to this email.

We will be awarding places by aggregate scores, with cash payouts for

1st ($400), 2nd ($200) and 3rd ($100) in each of the 2 Divisions.

There will also be plaques for placement in Class and Category as

appropriate.

Download and print the match application at http://www.mpsa.net and

send it in to request your slot.

We need ROs, assistant ROs and set up crews. You will receive refunds

off of your match fee and priority squadding. We would like the match

staff to shoot on Friday, but this is not a requirement.

This match is open to current USPSA members only, so if you are a new

shooter, get your membership into HQ now to shoot this match.

Are you ready?

Stand by.

Mail!

Bill

What was all the fuss?

I'm still tring to figure out what is the major difference between Open and Tactical. Lump them together, wouldn't that have worked? Both have scopes, both have comps. The only real difference is the bipod, add one to a Tactical rifle and PRESTO, it's an Open rifle!