Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sp2 Replacement For Hibricomp Super

shopgun

I've been using sp2 in both my and my wifes 38 super hibricomp guns for years. was at 11.0 with a 115 fmj to make 169 pf. no pressure problems at all. Tried vn350 at 8.7/115fmj for 168pf. a disaster . every other round was a stuck case that required pushing the slide against a wood prop to clear. tried 7625 at 8.0/124 fmj for 170 pf. had failures to extract that could be cleared by hand. has anyone had any luck with hibricomp barrels with a different powder? Does anyone know of a source for sp2? thanks for any help

I have a pretty much new 4 port hybridcomp gun in supercomp and have just finished some load development. I tried the 115s but did not care for them, so all of my experiance is based on 124s. 7625 was okay, but I too had pressure problems, at 7.7 grains, it felt great but deformed the primers pretty bad, and blew a couple. I tried 4756 and it too felt great, but did not have any pressure problems at all, 8.8 with my lot made major. The only problem I found was that it really fills the case, and got all over the place when I loaded. Ramshot true blue felt pretty good, was very consistant velocity wise, but is pretty dirty. It is very dense and leaves lots of space in the case. I worked this load up from 160 pf to 186 pf without any pressure problems, to see what if any differance it made in feel. It was dirty throught this testing. It is my second choice. I tried ramshot silhouette too, but did not care for it. Lots of concussion and unburned powder. I too did not like n350. The best I have found for me so far is VV 3n38. It has no pressure signs in my gun, shoots very constantly, but I had to load it to 175 pf to get away from some slight unburned powder issues. Hope this helps.

The condition you have with the new powders is more chamber pressure and probably same or less pressure working the comp.

The cure is 3n38 or N105. Both those powders make Major in a normal 5" gun with published loads. Add ports to the gun & still - you'll just barely go over SAAMI specs to make major. And PLENTY of gas to work the comp.

Good luck & let us know your progress.

I have a Hybrid only 5" gun ( 6 holes no comp ) 9.2 HS-6 w/124 fmj Zero bullet.

gave me 169pf. slight sign of pressure but not bad enough to worry about. ( slightly flat primer ).

I too love the SP-2. It is a great powder, it burns consistantlly and is, was cheap.

I have about 7 pounds of it, but only use it in my open Revo 38 super. It works the comp soo nice GOOD LUCK

thanks for the input. i've now tried vn 350, vn3n37,7625,power pistol, and true blue with 115, 124, and 147 gr. i get failures to extract that act like too light a load and when i increase the load i get cases stuck halfway out(high pressure). at this point, i would suspect a gun problem except it's two guns that both ran perfectly with sp2. :( i'm going to try vn 105 & 3n38. in the meantime, can anyone spare a pound of sp2 to get us through the nationals? after that, it's two new top ends. thanks again. jim shema

thanks for the input. i've now tried vn 350, vn3n37,7625,power pistol, and true blue with 115, 124, and 147 gr. i get failures to extract that act like too light a load and when i increase the load i get cases stuck halfway out(high pressure). at this point, i would suspect a gun problem except it's two guns that both ran perfectly with sp2. :( i'm going to try vn 105 & 3n38. in the meantime, can anyone spare a pound of sp2 to get us through the nationals? after that, it's two new top ends. thanks again. jim shema

I went through all the powders you have listed and more, as I tried to find a SP2 replacement.

Doubt if you will like the 3n38 as it really seemed to me like it had a very sluggish feel, and numerous mentions that I was shooting a flame thrower.

True blue came very close to the feel of SP2, but gave pressure signs in one of my two supers.

Hogdson Longshot is what I'm now using - 8.0 with a 121 gr , 168+ PF (was at 10.5 of SP2). Least amount of pressure of any loads I tried.

Guys:

Im having real good results using N340 Ive used it with all the various 124/125

grain popular bullets im using 7.5 grains of N340 with 125 grain zero HP.

,166.8 PF

out of short gun.Brazos comp

171.8 out of 5" with caspian comp.

Got a couple fo customers in Florida who use True blue in their 9mm opens,

8.0 grains in a short gun.Dont know PF do not like those short 9mm's!!!

7.6 out of 5" gun. makeing a 168 PF.

Jim Anglin

I went through all the powders you have listed and more, as I tried to find a SP2 replacement.

Doubt if you will like the 3n38 as it really seemed to me like it had a very sluggish feel, and numerous mentions that I was shooting a flame thrower.

True blue came very close to the feel of SP2, but gave pressure signs in one of my two supers.

Hogdson Longshot is what I'm now using - 8.0 with a 121 gr , 168+ PF (was at 10.5 of SP2). Least amount of pressure of any loads I tried.

• 2 weeks later...

i can get up to 190 power factor with very little pressure signs in a 4 port hybricomp super with 124s and 4756

theres only one barrel schuemann makes with more holes in it thats a hybricomp barrel and thats the 5 port barrel...

are you using an AFTEC extractor?

i have a hard time believing that a 5.5 inch 38 super is having trouble making major without sticking cases...unless its not a hybricomp gun but is a 5 inch tribrid or the gun has six 3/8th inch barrel holes in it..

the SV IMM is one of the few guns i know of that will not make major but with one or two powders

• 2 weeks later...