Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rock Star On The Forum

benos

Turns out our very own forum member, 38SuperWes, aka John Wesley, is a member of the British band The Porcupine Tree. An incredibly talented guitarist, I'm guessing he's been playing the guitar since he could hold one, he also produces his own solo work, and you can check him out on his own site - John-Wesley.com.

He emailed a month or so ago, said he was a fan of the site, and has been into shooting, on and off, for quite a few years. On my links page he found I was a Tool fan, and being in a band that he described as a combination of "Tool and Pink Floyd" - wondered if I'd be interested in seeing them play. (The show was in Tempe last night.) Being the "live show monster," of course I was. Well, they tore it up - "off the charts" pro show.

We got to hang out for a bit... took him for lunch at Harlows (the best breakfast/lunch place in Tempe)... not surprisingly we shared many of the same interests. Motorcycles (he's got me looking at Ducati Monsters) ;) martial arts, Mac computers (they have seven Powerbooks on the bus), and he just had a good take on living life. I had a great time - thanks for the invite John.

be

Hey Brian,

Wes is a good bud of mine, he shoots with us locally when he's not touring. I get to see him doing solo and duo gigs around town often. Haven't seen his band yet.

Be careful with him and motorcylces though, he has a bad habit of wrecking into mountains. It's cost him a match or two in recovery. :)

Hey Brian,

Wes is a good bud of mine, he shoots with us locally when he's not touring. I get to see him doing solo and duo gigs around town often. Haven't seen his band yet.

Be careful with him and motorcylces though, he has a bad habit of wrecking into mountains. It's cost him a match or two in recovery.  :)

Ahhh Smitty....so that mountain... umm..it would not move... but my shoulder did...sort of several inches downward...all better now...courtesy of the "Appalachian ER"... and State farm was nice enough to buy me a nice Ducati Yellow replacement.... my wife says the Yellow is best..so next time the mountain will see me coming!

As to "Ironman, Smoke on the Water, and Heartbreaker"... all required learning to get the official "Rock Guitarist" GM card....(those songs and an intimate knowledge of the exact portions of alcohol needed to play a bitchin version of Freebird)..... think I got my "card" by about...age 14!

All in all had a great afternoon and evening with Brian....he got me off the tour bus and fed me a real meal in a fab restauraunt....and.... it was nice to get him out to a show... a very small token of appreciation for this forum and all I have learned from him and those who share on it.

and yes Shortround...Brian can sure "party like a rock star"!

If anyone on the forum is interested in the tunes or the band...drop me a note...we are back in the States in October and may come to a town near you...would love to have any forum members out to a show if the guest list still has openings...

DVC WES

Wes,

Was that you that was hanging out on Max's Forum?  Talking guitars with Steve Anderson and Travis T. ?

Hi Flex...that would be me... have not had much time to chat with them lately... the schedule has been insane this year... home for a week now though... so might drop back in over there and say hello...

take care.. WES

• 4 months later...

Had the pleasure of shooting with Wes [not the first time but it's been a while] back on Nov 6th. Talked about guitars and guns all day - can't beat that!

Anyway, couple days later I found his website & ordered his new CD "Shiver" which arrived Friday [didn't get home to play it till Sunday] and now after two listens I can confirm my instant gut reaction which is that this album is freaking awesome!!

Wes uses his guitar's tone settings and digital delay [or maybe that's a huge studio with echo] to create chanting, chiming, mesmerizing choruses of music. There's really no filler on this album either. Track 1 to Track 10, this one gets 4 Stars all the way. The guy can sing too and IMHO there's more good stuff going on here than in the Porcupine Tree website samples. If you're mind is all frazzled or frantic, this music will definitely shift your brain to Alpha Waves & smooth sailing.

Incredibly pleasant surprise.