Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillion 1050 shell plate flexing

Alright, so the problem I am having is with my 1050.  I have it set up to process 223 brass. Decapping die, swager, void, dillion 1200 trimer\ sizer, lyman m-die.  The issue is that when I run the casings through the trim station and the m-die the shell plate looks like it flexes. Then on the upstroke it takes a little pull to get the tool head to raise.  Once i apply the extra force there is a dull popping sound and then it is easy to move the tool head.  Any ideas?

In addition to more lube, if you are running the shell plate bearing kit, I recommend removing it for processing rifle brass. Double check your adjustments on the swager to ensure there is no pressure on the shell plate. That's about all I have, other than ensuring the shell plate is adjusted tight enough. Depending on how bad it is, you might remove the shell plate and set it on a flat surface to ensure it is not bent. Best of luck!

Remove the M die (unnecessary in my opinion, the 1050 has all the stuff you need without it) , remove the swager from the processing head. The swage hold down rod has a mouth expander on it, you are over working the case neck and using all the lube up before it gets to the M die. Replace the decap die with a full length die with decap, set it to size the case about 75-80%. This is opposite the trim die that is also a sizing die. No shell plate flexing... Make sure after the trim the cases make gauge.

(After processing, clean/tumble)

Swage on the loading head only, the swag hold down rod also expands the case mouth. You don't need the M die. Be sure to close the expansion with a slight tiny crimp after bullet seating.

jmho

jj

4 hours ago, RiggerJJ said:

Remove the M die (unnecessary in my opinion, the 1050 has all the stuff you need without it) , remove the swager from the processing head. The swage hold down rod has a mouth expander on it, you are over working the case neck and using all the lube up before it gets to the M die. Replace the decap die with a full length die with decap, set it to size the case about 75-80%. This is opposite the trim die that is also a sizing die. No shell plate flexing... Make sure after the trim the cases make gauge.

Swage on the loading head only, the swag hold down rod also expands the case mouth. You don't need the M die. Be sure to close the expansion with a slight tiny crimp after bullet seating.

jmho

jj

I was under the impression that you aren't supposed to size the casing before putting it through the trim die because that sizes the casing.  The m-die is to aid in bullet seating with my bullet feeder.

The swager hold down rod does the same thing as the M die, but less on the overall neck, just the mouth. And having the swager on just the loading head will reduce over working the case mouth. The set up you have now, after decapping you are expanding the case mouth in the swager, then reducing it back down in the trim die, then expanding it again in the M die. And having the M die after the trim/sizer will give you inconsistent case lengths... You will get better results with the 75% sizing before the trim and taking out the unecessary steps.

jmho

jj

Edited by RiggerJJ

On 2/17/2017 at 3:35 PM, RiggerJJ said:

The swager hold down rod does the same thing as the M die, but less on the overall neck, just the mouth. And having the swager on just the loading head will reduce over working the case mouth. The set up you have now, after decapping you are expanding the case mouth in the swager, then reducing it back down in the trim die, then expanding it again in the M die. And having the M die after the trim/sizer will give you inconsistent case lengths... You will get better results with the 75% sizing before the trim and taking out the unecessary steps.

jmho

Alright, I took all the dies out of the tool head.  I put a Redding full length sizer in slot 1.  I screwed it in far enough to knock the primer out only.  Lubed up a case and tried running it.  The popping became more intense with just that one die.  Any suggestions?

On 2/17/2017 at 11:20 AM, RiggerJJ said:

jmho

jj

RiggerJJ, what's the setup/process for setting FL die to partially size only as mentioned above?  I have similar setup and thinking this would benefit me as well - would be using Dillon steel size/decap die for 223, and carbide size/trim die under the 1500.

Edited by 78Staff

On 16/02/2017 at 4:03 AM, CPD7119 said:

Alright, so the problem I am having is with my 1050.  I have it set up to process 223 brass. Decapping die, swager, void, dillion 1200 trimer\ sizer, lyman m-die.  The issue is that when I run the casings through the trim station and the m-die the shell plate looks like it flexes. Then on the upstroke it takes a little pull to get the tool head to raise.  Once i apply the extra force there is a dull popping sound and then it is easy to move the tool head.  Any ideas?

Pretty similar to my process, but I actually run the flare on the loading press, otherwise I found that tumbling off the lube was removing or reducing the flare.

Have  you tried polishing the M die mandrel to a bright finish?

In the end I split the neck-expand and flare tasks into 2 steps.  The neck-expand occurs at the end of the prep pass, using a floating carbide mandrel which helps reduce sticking and reduces runout.  I run the flare during loading with a custom floating mandrel so the narrow part is barely touching the ID and it only puts on the tiny flare for the bullet dropper.

19 hours ago, CPD7119 said:

Alright, I took all the dies out of the tool head.  I put a Redding full length sizer in slot 1.  I screwed it in far enough to knock the primer out only.  Lubed up a case and tried running it.  The popping became more intense with just that one die.  Any suggestions?

If its popping when you withdraw the case from the die, there is not enough lube...

jj

On 2/16/2017 at 8:16 AM, Tom Freeman said:

Add a touch more lube.

17 hours ago, 78Staff said:

RiggerJJ, what's the setup/process for setting FL die to partially size only as mentioned above?  I have similar setup and thinking this would benefit me as well - would be using Dillon steel size/decap die for 223, and carbide size/trim die under the 1500.

I use a Dillon full length and decap, just screw it down to the shell plate and back it off maybe 1/4 turn, then check in a gauge, it should not go quite all the way into the gauge, maybe a 32nd or so. That will leave enough for the trim die to grab onto and not spin the case. Also doing the full length sizing in 2 steps seems easier on my elbow over the long haul of processing a full 5gal bucket of brass, and it keeps the head from tipping from stress on one side but not the other.

jj