Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The Browning Gold in 3Gun

AH6IP

Scooter, I'm beyond frustrated on the Browning Gold issue. I bought the 10 round kit from Briley and spent a month trying to get it to work. Briley said maybe I got the wrong springs in their kit and I needed to send the gun in for them to look at. Well  so far it's been at Briley's shop twice, and is there now because they can't get it to work.  So far I'm not impressed on whether they will know about the gas piston issue. My jury is still out on whether on not they will get my gun working.

I been shooting a Browning Gold for over 3 years now, I don't shoot 3 gun yet, and the guns been pretty much flawless unless I don't maintain the gun in any way for a few hundred rounds.  I use it for hunting, sporting clays, and skeet.

Does the gun work without the mag extension?  If it works fine without the extension, then it's obvious the extension is causing the problems.  Maybe you can try the other mag extension that Brownells carries.

Rob I bought a Winchester SX2 because Briley said they were more reliable.Sent them the Winchester for the works and when I get the gun it holds 9+1.Called them and they said oops that extension holds 10+1 on Brownings. I said now what.They said we will work on that.That was 3 months ago.Still no 10rd tube.

rkgsmith,

What is your frustration with the browning gold? I have one with the briley extention and when I started shooting it, it would not shoot the light 1oz 2 3/4 dram loads. Now after about 500 rds it works great. I think the gun needs a little "breaking in" then they are the fastest, most reliable gun for 3-Gunning. Right now I am on a reliablility test to see how many rds I can shoot before a misfire or a ftf without cleaning the gun.

Scott, I'm way ahead of you on the break in period. When I installed the 10 round kit I also worked on the action like the Briley "smith" told me to do. I fired about 2,000 rounds and could never get it to be 100%. It would shoot 3 dram trap loads, and Fed. OO Tactical buck like a champ, however it always jammed with Fed. reduced recoil slugs which are basically a 3 dram load. Full power slugs smashed the plastic action arm under the forend. After the 2nd trip back from Briley I noticed the gas ports had been enlarged. I even sent 50 slugs for them to test fire. When I sent it back 2 months ago I sent a video tape of the gun jamming with the same ammo they said worked. So now can you see why I'm frustrated. I went to the Browning to solve the problems I've had over the years with the Benelli, and here I am back in the same boat!

I always figured, why shoot reduced recoil slug, when you have to make that 50yd or 100yd slug shot, the gun just shoots flatter. Mine are PMC Brenneke 2 3/4 1oz 1600 fps slugs and they work without problem. At the last 3-Gun we had we shot some buckshot and I used the PMC reduced recoil 00 buck 3 dram equiv. they also worked great. My gun is a Gold Turkey Stalker with a 24" barrel and the heavy load gas piston. all stock exept for a briley mag extension. Maybe you could get the gun back to as stock as posible and see if you can find the problem that way. As has been discused on this forum in other post, the gun is reliable and will shoot everything but the light trap loads when new thenafter some break-in it will even shoot those. If your gun never did work in the stock configuration then maybe the gas piston is faulty and briley missed it. If you are anywhere close to me I would be happly to let you use my gas port and barrel to help you narrow down the problem.

If your Browning shoots light loads well and jams on Federal Reduced Recoil slugs it could need an even softer shooting slug.

I found that my Browning was over cycling on full power slugs most of the time, Fed Reduced power some of the time and Remington reduced never.  I now shoot 3dram WalMart Federal for birdshot, Remington Reduced Recoil for buck and slug, and the gun is very reliable.

I usually clean it every three hundred rounds or so.

Good luck.

Scott,  my gun worked perfect without the 10 rnd tube. The gas ring has been changed because full power slugs trashed the last ring.  One of the biggest reasons I changed from the Benelli to the Browning is becasue the Benelli won't shoot the Federal slugs with a 10 round tube attached.  Other shooters were not having that problem with the Browning, that's why I changed guns. Your asking why not change ammo?  My Federal ammo is dept. issue.  The  less I have to load or spend, the more I'll practice. Hopefully Briley will get it figured out on this trip.

Ok, got the skinny from Briley.  They make a S/S gas piston that replaces the aluminum one, designed for 3Gun blasting(read-alot of shootin).  It is skeletonized, and works best with the Mag extension kit(mag spring, recoil spring, etc.)  The gas ports are .115 from the factory.  If this is insufficient with the new piston, you can go up to .140(.005 at a time!!!!).  This should help all in need.  So there ya go Lamb(chop)!!!!!!

(Edited by AH6IP at 9:46 pm on Dec. 26, 2002)

Scooter-

I would go with the Briley "Kit", which contains Mag extension, plus 3 new springs(recoil, mag tube, and another-I forget which one), plus the follower.  They say this fixes any feeding problem that may occur when using an extended mag tube.  

My 2 cents.

The third spring is the carrier latch spring. The whole system is based on balance. The Browning works unlike any other semi. When the round is fired and ejected the round that comes out of the mag. tube brings the rest with it. As the bolt pushes that round into the chamber it also has to push  the remaining rounds back into the magazine tube. If you have too heavy of a mag. tube spring the bolt won't close when fully loaded. If you have too heavy of a carrier latch spring it won't let the rounds come out of the tube, and finally if you have too light of a recoil spring it won't push the rounds back into the tube. They use a 3.5 inch magnum spring as the recoil spring because the standard 3 inch won't push the bolt closed with a 10 round tube. Seems rather odd that I have all this information and yet couldn't get the gun to function. Remington may soon be getting a new customer..... (P.S. Bill H. wipe the drool off your chin, I'll have something for you by the time the season starts)

If anyne has any other information or opinions on the Browning and the Briley "Cooley" conversion, I sure would appreciate it, as I just got a Gold Stalker, and I'm getting ready to send it to Briley. I hate to dump a lot of money in this thing if I might not be happy with it. Any info is appreciated.

I got the Briley tube for my gun back around Feb/March( not sure the model gun but it was a beat up duck hunting gun 3" model), but it came with nothing but the tube and a follower.  When I tried to install the follower it jammed in the stock part of my mag and I had to rip it out, basically destroying it.  The kit said to use the stock spring unless I wanted their optional one.  Anyhoo, the auto first round chambering thingie wouldn't work so I took a spring out of a Choate 870 9 shot extension and used it.  I haven't shot it a lot but it seems to work, with buck or birdshot.  I'm a little scared now because of all of this talk about the piston, as mine only came with whatever is in the gun.  I have had some light primer strikes, which I've heard rumors that there were issues with that on the older guns, but don't know the deal on it...

Well, just put in my Briley 8 rnd extension kit, springs and all, and the Briley bolt handle.  The gun runs everything I put in it, Rem STS or Win XX skeet loads, Lt and super handicap loads, Win game loads, Federal game loads, etc,etc.  That auto loading feature just amazes me(easily amused).  And it sure shoots fast.  I mixed up the loads(just for arguments sake) and blasted as fast as I could pull the trigger with no hick-ups.  

I think the timer scared it!  And, it was only two(dos) hik-ups.  Anyway, it's your fault, just like it says at the end!

BTW Greg, my AR10 bolt carrier is now a light weight version(call me)

juevos rancheros

scooter... a comment on your question of barrel length... two years ago at the North Carolina Tactical match one of the shotgun/pistol stages was from inside a Ford Tempo, 5 speed, with the seat forward that jammed you into the steering wheel. Shotgun loaded with 6 rounds muzzle down on the passenger side floor, you had to retrieve the shotgun, engage 6 targets from passenger side, reload, and engage 6 from the driver's side, then repeat with a pistol....at the time I was shooting a 26inch 1100.  Within a week after returning home, it became a 21inch 1100.  regards