Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Automate 650 or Upgrade to 1050?

SCTaylor

So as things happen, I am more serious with my shooting this year, thereby loading more rounds.  My time is pretty limited with family, work, dry/live fire and fitness commitments,  not leaving all that much time to load.  So I've been trying to determine which of the threee options makes the most sense.  Currently I have a pretty standard 650 with case feeder that I can realistically load 500 per hour.  That hour includes loading primer tubes, arranging the bullets, brass, gauging and putting ammo in storage boxes.  I can normally get 30 minutes in the morning or evening in the garage to dry fire or load ammo but otherwise it is tough to make time.

My three options are:

1) Automate the 650 with a Mark 7 and add a bullet feeder - Cost will be about $2k

3) Just add a bullet feeder to the 650 and get after it - Cost will be about $500

2) Upgrade to a 1050 with bullet feeder - Cost will be about $1,500 (offsets from selling the 650)

Aside from cost, the only down side to automating the 650 is still the time required to sort brass. It's not a tremendous amount but takes about 20 minutes per 1k pieces of brass.  On my schedule, that'll cost me 2.5 hours per year; no not that much time overall but my time is valuable. Then again, a 1050 production isn't, if at all, higher than a 650.

What say you, the Enos world?

Edited by SCTaylor

Part of the equation is how many different calibers you load and how many rounds you will be loading, per caliber, per month. Once you have your load recipes and dies set, I don't think you'll see a significant time saving by automating, unless you're loading many thousands of rounds per month for each caliber. Since you have a 650 already, and without knowing the above information, I'd lean toward a bullet feeder and a RF100. As long a pulling the handle isn't the issue, caliber changes are cheaper with quick-change tool heads all set up and ready to go. As for case prep, it's a wash regardless of the press. Replenishing powder, primers and bullets is also a wash, but with the RF100, it fills the tube while you're making rounds. It's very efficient and you'll never be waiting on it. I have a 650 and a 1050, both with MBF's and the RF100.

5 hours ago, SCTaylor said:

Thanks for the responses guys.

9mm pistol only.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1050 are good for making a lot of the same caliber, 650s are much cheaper to change over. If your sticking with one I would definitely go with the 1050

I have both the 1050 and 650 I upgraded from the 650 to the super 1050 but seem to still need the 650 to process brass and other things from time to time leaving my  1050 set up in my main shooting caliber with the Mr. bullet feeder on it you can produce some great numbers on it.  I've  had a 650 for over 25 years and only had a 1050 a short period of time I would never ever give up the 1050  For me the 1050 is so much nicer  machine, smooth running and easley putting out 100 rounds every five minutes at a very comfortable pace.  Just my two cents...

On 2/8/2017 at 11:44 AM, SCTaylor said:

...  My time is pretty limited with family, work, dry/live fire and fitness commitments,  not leaving all that much time to load.  So I've been trying to determine which of the threee options makes the most sense.  Currently I have a pretty standard 650 with case feeder that I can realistically load 500 per hour.  That hour includes loading primer tubes, arranging the bullets, brass, gauging and putting ammo in storage boxes.  I can normally get 30 minutes in the morning or evening in the garage to dry fire or load ammo but otherwise it is tough to make time...

Without rushing I can do about 300 rounds in 18 minutes including loading primer tubes (I have a MBF as well). I use the Hondo for case gauging 100 at a time once I have something like 600 rounds. I do that while watching Netflix or something similar so I am multi tasking. Once, I fill the case gauge, I pause the TV verify all rounds and primers and then put the ammo away. I put 200 rounds at a time in ziplock, but if using MTM boxes it is just flipping it twice and takes no time at all.

Not counting primer loading adding the MBF cut my production time from 9 minutes per hundred to 5 minutes per hundred, so might try that first.

Edited by tanks

Again, thanks to all for the replies.  For the money available in the foreseeable future, the 650 & MBF seems to be a winner.  RF100 is a little overkill, I can load 5 primer tubes in 10 minutes or so. Looks like I've gotta figure out how to make it happen now.