Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What's needed to convert a Limited Pro 40SW to 9mm?

lksyotas

Hello everyone, I've been searching for a Limited Pro in 9mm to compliment my love for my Stock 3 but enable me to use in IDPA.  I've looked high and low and cannot find one but have a lead on a 40 for a good price.  What's needed to convert the 40 to 9mm if I decide to go that route?  Will simply buying a limited pro 9mm barrel work?  Or is the breach face different between the 40 slide and the 9mm?  If just a barrel is needed, where do I go about finding a barrel for sale?  

Also, is the sear cage the same between the two models?  I know on Glocks the trigger housing needs to usually be changed out to be caliber specific for the ejector to work properly.  Is this the same case with the Tanfoglio lines?   Is there anything else I'm missing?  

Or if you are looking to sell your Limited Pro let me know!  I'm not opposed to buying a used but in good condition one either for the right price.

Tanfoglios are rather new to me coming from the Glock side of shooting so sorry for the questions but thanks for any help!

Thanks guys for your quick replies!  I've checked Buds, Ben Stoeger, Oakhill, and Patriot Def.  None have any 9mm's in stock.  I've got my FFL all lined up!  Just need to find a source then for either a 9mm top end or the entire gun...

I've got all the upgrades waiting to go in this new gun already to make it feel similar to my S3.  Bolo, Titan, Xtreme sear, ext. fpb, springs, polish compound etc...

Thought just arose, I could probably use my S3 top end on a Lim Pro lower right?  It wouldn't be the prettiest but they both have the same length uppers from the factory I believe.  Or am I missing something...Then I could use the 40 top end for major if I ever shoot other disciplines that separate the calibers...

No, that would not be IDPA legal. Changing calibers from stock configuration would move you into ESP.

It would only be legal if you put a 9mm stock III topend ontop of a 9mm Lim Pro. Which for all purposes would be pointless.

I figured I would shoot in ESP anyway with the S3 upper on the Lim Pro lower. That would be legal right for IDPA?  At the end of the day, I'll probably keep which gun I enjoy more and if it's the Stock 3 then I'll go back to shooting the evil G34 in IDPA. Time will tell...

Edited by lksyotas

• 2 weeks later...

Well quick update on my project...  Ended up buying the Limited Pro 40 due to the great price and spent the better part of Friday night polishing all the necessary parts, holes, etc. and installing Xtreme sear, Titan hammer, PD 14lb hammer spring, Bolo, reduced power sear and trigger springs, and improved PD firing pin and spring. With all the mods, I ended up with a trigger very comparable to my Stock 3.  Original DA averaged over 12 lbs / SA averaged 5.5lbs.  After the polishing and component installation I'm right at 5lb 8oz DA / 3lb 3oz SA.  On top of that I put the stock S3 9mm recoil spring in place of the stock recoil spring to handle 40 minor loads.  Finished off the build for now with Scales grips to bring it into the weight restriction for IDPA.  

To start for a load, I assembled 165g Blue Bullets under 3.5g Prima V and Fed100 primers.  Overall length was right at 1.145".  This chamber wasn't cut as short as my S3 which was a good finding.  

Took it to the range today during my lunch hour to compare to the S3 as far as "noticed" recoil and how flat the slide reacted to recoil.  9mm loads are 135 Blue Bullet Ambient temps were 43F.  I was blown away with how there was almost no noticeable difference in the perceived recoil impulse between the 9mm loads I run in my S3 and the new 40 loads I worked up for this Lim Pro!  Sights seemed to track the same and my overall and split times on my targets from 5 - 25 yds were negligible .  Accuracy was on par with the 9mm loads and acceptable for the ranges I'll be shooting this gun at.  Finally, I swapped the S3 9mm upper onto this Lim Pro lower and shot it back and forth between the two uppers to verify recoil and shoot ability.  Again, I was surprised that the 9mm was only slightly less on "perceived" recoil.  If I didn't have them side by side, I'd never notice the difference.  

To sum it up - I'm pretty happy with the initial results.  I still have to run transition drills and change out the front sight to a fiber optic and get rid of the huge safety lever and maybe play with some other recoil springs but other than that i'm feeling pretty much there...

My personal best option would have been to find a 9mm version but at least this will enable me to shoot multiple disciplines with the same gun with either 40 minor or major.  Anyone interested in my lightly used S3 with all the said upgrades listed above?  I need to fund my Dillon 650 40 cal change over stuff now... ;)  

Thanks to everyone that contributes to this forum!  All of your time spent with detailed how to's and trials and errors really make turning these Tanfo's into something really enjoyable to shoot!  

IMG_5089.JPG

IMG_5091.JPG