Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

180 Gr Hornady Hap Bullets

BigDave

Since Star is out of the jacketed bullet business, I'm looking for a replacment JHP bullet. I figure I'll resort to shooting jacketed only at bigger matches. Does anyone load with the 180 gr HAP bullet and if so, what are your thoughts?

Not trying to drift the thread. Consider trying Zero 180 JHP's. They feed great with excellent accuracy and you can buy them from Shooters Connection for much less than the HAP's I have seen in bulk lately.

Good advice from Yendor, there. MG is another option. Plated is a good possiblity, from a # of vendors.

I started reloading 40 using Hornady XTP's and Noslers. Great bullets, but the expense was just killing me. MG and Zero are, practically speaking, as good and for much less moola.

I have used both MG and Zero bullets.  The accuracy is the same but the price of the Zero is about 1.2 cents less.  Call Angus, pay cash/check and you may get Zero bullets for even less than $.07@round

I bought 4k Zero 180gr JHP .40 bullets from Angus - price per bullet was a few cents cheaper than everone else and shipping was like $5 or so (the USPS was offering "bulk" shipping at the time, and they still might.) Give him a holler. Chuck Bradley is good to deal with too.

-David

I would recommend the Zero bullets as well.

The load with the 180gr. JHP I had been using was 6.0gr of N350 with OAL of 1.200.

I originally used N350 to take advantage of the economies of scale since I was also using the same powder for open. I have since switched the open load to IMR7625 (much softer but very dirty) so when I finish up the N350 supply, I will probably switch to N320.

Carlos

Zero bullets work good in my .40, they are the least expensive jacketed bullets I can find. I go thru Angus, and I don't need them shipped. B)

I have used N320, Titegroup, and Universal Clays, all work good for me.

I use Berry's Bullets. I get them for $55 per 1000 locally. I haven't had any problems at all with those bullets.

I see Midway has the Hornady HAP bullets for $135 for 1800. It also says on their website that they are a discontinued item. I wonder if that means that Midway will no longer be carrying them or if Hornady quit manufacturing them.