Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Grams followers and Slide Lock Tuning?

Magsz

Heya guys,

Short and sweet.  I did a search but I wasnt able to find specifics or pictures detailing how to tune the grams followers to allow for reliable slide lock.

As it stands, I am using grams followers and springs in my STI 126mm tubes and they all lock opened with one round left in the mag.  Is there a way to reliably tune them to allow consistent lock back or should I go back to STI followers?

Thanks gents!

A few questions first.

Are these the regular 126mm mags, or those that hold only 10 rd. Being from NY, that is what I must use.

Are you loading long, 1.180" or longer?

I always had a problem of getting the mags to reliably lock back. I load long, and would have the same problem with them locking back with one round left. The longer rounds would allow the nose of the bullet to push up on the slide stop with one or two rounds left.

I gave up, and just setup the gun to not lock back. I also used the Dawson follwers, instead of the STI. But like stated, I'm using the 126mm, 10 rd mags.

Im using the full capacity 126mm magazines.

I am not loading long.  I believe im running 1.135.  Id have to pull out my notes and double check that.  Im running 135 grain extreme round nose flat points.  I emailed the Gram's gent, I will let you know what he has to say when he gets back to me.

I'm loading out to 1.2 in 140's (in my 40) and don't have any mag issues. I followed the instructions from Brazos. The length of the mag shouldn't make a difference in how you tune or set up the follower to lock or not lock.I do the same in my mags set up for 9mm.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not sure how to tune for consistent lock back on an empty mag but here are a couple of videos for how to trim the follower to eliminate slide lock.

I assume that tuning for lock back would involve trimming the tab in either thickness or width so that it doesn't contact the slide stop too soon.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

On 12/17/2016 at 3:22 PM, Magsz said:

Heya guys,

Short and sweet.  I did a search but I wasnt able to find specifics or pictures detailing how to tune the grams followers to allow for reliable slide lock.

As it stands, I am using grams followers and springs in my STI 126mm tubes and they all lock opened with one round left in the mag.  Is there a way to reliably tune them to allow consistent lock back or should I go back to STI followers?

Thanks gents!

I use STI followers for slide lock . Grams doesn't have the step down tab to allow that last bullet to be picked up before SL.

Edited by dirty whiteboy

It sounds like you are trying to set up grams to lock back?

obviously locking back with one left in the mag has gotta be fixed and the article cited above will square you away, but using a grams to get full capacity AND lock back, never tried that one. 

Why do you want lock back (assuming this is a competition gun)?