Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need advice on "in ear" hearing protection

James Abram

I'm looking to move from electronic hearing muffs to electronic "in ear" protection and wanting to know if any of you guys use them. If so, what brand and what you like or dislike about them. If you have used others why did you switch. Any info will be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/18/2016 at 0:15 AM, James Abram said:

Does anybody have any experience with the Sportear Ghost Stryke? They seem to have good reviews.

I have a pair.  I use them indoors and outdoors.  They work ok, but I'm still looking for better protection at a similar price point.  I'm considering trying the soundgear instant fit.

I have a set of Etymotic plugs. They work well except for a pistol with a comp or a rifle with a muzzle brake. I was shooting in a rifle match I was between a 7mm with a muzzle brake on one side and a 6.5 creedmoor with a brake on the other side, that was to much. With a standard rifle or pistol they have worked fine.    

I have a pair of the electronic in-ear plugs from Ear, Inc.  (EAR Inc.).  Had the molds made at a local match.  They have been great for almost 2 years now.  One note - you can't store them with the batteries in them, or they run down even if the unit is turned "off."  Once I figured that out, battery life has been pretty good.  Also just started shooting an open gun and that is too much for them to handle.  After shooting an outdoor 5-stage match my left ear was buzzing for a day and a half.  Now use over-ear on top of the in-ear units for the comp gun and that works great.