Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Custom In Ear Electronic Hearing Protection

ELSOS

I've been shooting with a pair of Pro Ears for a few years and have finally decided to take the plunge and get a set of custom in ear electronic hearing protection.  I've looked at Soundgear, Nitro Ear and ESP but can't really tell a difference.  I'd like something comfortable for all day wear and that I can comfortably chew gum or eat.     

I've also been using the digital ProEars Gold muffs (I have 3 pair now, but that's a long story).  I was hesitant to spend the money for custom plugs, but I did get a pair of E.A.R. digital plugs about 6 months ago.  They work great.  I was worried that I would have to use muffs in addition when shooting my open gun or my AR.  No problem what so ever, I didn't need to double up.  Another area of concern was the batteries.  The air activated batteries continue to produce power even when not in use.  I made a small, air tight container that I put the batteries in when not using the plugs.  So far, I'm on my second set of batteries.  The plugs are a little different than the muffs.  They are a little more sensitive to gunfire than the muffs.  Over all, I'm a little sorry I didn't get them sooner.

I use Soundgear, mainly because House of Hearing had a booth at Area 1 and they took an impression of my ear canal (and my wife too) They put the paperwork into our medical insurance company and they covered the cost for both sets. The only problem I have with them is that I forget that I have them in. My batteries usually last a week and a half, but the batteries are cheap so I never bothered with covering up the air holes, I just throw a new pair in when they start beeping in my ear, I think it's Morse code for "change me, change me". :lol:

I have some from Ear Inc. I talked to them on the phone before I bought to learn the differences between the different products they offer. If assume the info would apply to any of the companies making them. Mine are hard acrylic.  I wear them for 8+ hours often. 

I got Soundgear at Area 1 last year and I love them - I don't think I could ever go back to muffs. Only problem is they're small and if misplaced can almost cause a panic attack until found.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk