Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New frame with flaw… Ok or Not?

jwhittin

I bought this on BE to use for a limited build (earlier this year).  After further inspection, I found what I think is a manufacturing flaw. Since it is a new frame I requested an exchange from the manufacturer. While I’m waiting to hear back, I wanted to see what other’s think.

Seems to me any reputable manufacturer would exchange it.  Thoughts?  Just cosmetic or not?  Would you use it for a build?

Thanks

Slide1.JPG

Slide2.JPG

Edited by jwhittin
Add question.

Cosmetic. Just looks like the cutter used to machine the undercut for the safety breaking through to the inside cavity so it isn't a crack or a void. Also not in a particularly high stress location so probably won't affect strength at all.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

On December 14, 2016 at 10:53 AM, ltdmstr said:

That's the relief cut for the right side of the ambi safety (retainer tab).  Certainly not quality workmanship, but common for STI and some others.  Highly unlikely it will cause a problem.

Heard from the frame maker. That's the same thing he said. 

So I won't worry about it. 

Thanks all. 

Edited by jwhittin
Spelling

• 6 months later...

Even though you aren't worrying about it, the answer to your question is that flaws in NIB/NF guns should be free of flaws.  Maybe a the odd one out here, but when I chose to spend a significant portion of money on a new firearm or part, I want it to be as close to perfection as possible.  If nothing else, having a doubt about any newly purchased firearm part from the get-go would bug me for the remainder of its service life.  Glad it all worked out for you!