Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shockbottle 100 rd hundo case guage 40xl

Dirtchevy841

Long story short, you won't regret it.  I was having SERIOUS ammo issues, and it saved my bacon right before a major by helping me identify LOTS of "Glock bulge" loads.  The hundo combined with a Lee "U" die, and no more bad loads.

The one I have is a little tight but is faster than doing them all one by one. If it's a little tight in the hundo, I drop it in the dillon single case guage, and it usually goes in just fine. But the glock bulged brass sucks to deal with! 

3 hours ago, Southpaw said:

You need a U die. I get well under 1% case gauge failures in my hundo using a U sizing die.

Yes that's on my short list of things to buy since I'll be shooting limited most of the year other than ss for a month or two. 

4 hours ago, Southpaw said:

You need a U die. I get well under 1% case gauge failures in my hundo using a U sizing die.

Did you try an egw die also?

Bought a u die for 9mm and it works as advertised but I do not like the extra effort required to undersize the brass that far. Was thinking about trying an egw in 40 and maybe even in 9 (anybody who does not know - both are undersized dies manufactured by Lee, the EGW is just less undersized). 

Oh, case gauge in 9 rocks, on my list of stuff for when I get back to 40. 

Edited by IHAVEGAS

11 minutes ago, IHAVEGAS said:

Did you try an egw die also?

Bought a u die for 9mm and it works as advertised but I do not like the extra effort required to undersize the brass that far. Was thinking about trying an egw in 40 and maybe even in 9 (anybody who does not know - both are undersized dies manufactured by Lee, the EGW is just less undersized). 

Oh, case gauge in 9 rocks, on my list of stuff for when I get back to 40. 

I'm using the Lee U die for both 9mm and .40. Yeah it's essentially the same thing as the EGW one, but the Lee is $10 cheaper :). I don't notice any difference in force needed to resize vs. a regular sizing die, but I use One Shot case lube.

2 minutes ago, Southpaw said:

I'm using the Lee U die for both 9mm and .40. Yeah it's essentially the same thing as the EGW one, but the Lee is $10 cheaper :). I don't notice any difference in force needed to resize vs. a regular sizing die, but I use One Shot case lube.

Strange. I use one shot also but on my 550 it is like double the effort on the downstroke with the U die in place of the Dillon I was using. 

1 minute ago, IHAVEGAS said:

Strange. I use one shot also but on my 550 it is like double the effort on the downstroke with the U die in place of the Dillon I was using. 

Oh I should have said, I was previously using a regular Lee sizing die before I got the U die. Even the regular Lee sizing die sizes lower than the Dillon so maybe that's why. I've never used Dillon dies so can't compare to that.

15 minutes ago, Southpaw said:

Oh I should have said, I was previously using a regular Lee sizing die before I got the U die. Even the regular Lee sizing die sizes lower than the Dillon so maybe that's why. I've never used Dillon dies so can't compare to that.

That seems to make sense.

6 hours ago, Southpaw said:

I shouldn't have any issues with Glock bulge. Run all my brass through a grx die on a Lee single stage first. Never had a issue after doing this process before loading on the Dillon. 

I just got a 40 L hundo. I used Dillon single Gage's all loads Gaged. Not so much with 40L which they say is close to the 40xl hundo. Was using reg 40 lee sizing die, had 40 lee u die so I stuck it in I rember way I stuck it in the box the down stroke on powder funnel. Used one shot, imperial, an my home made lube its all sucks on down stroke

1 hour ago, Dirtchevy841 said:

I see everybody saying a Dillon 100 rd ammo box works well with the hundo when putting in box. Can you use others like the cheap ones at academy. I think mtm 

I use the hundo with my MTM boxes.  Not sure about the pricing but they are definitely better quality than the dillon boxes.

On 12/9/2016 at 7:46 PM, Dirtchevy841 said:

I shouldn't have any issues with Glock bulge. Run all my brass through a grx die on a Lee single stage first. Never had a issue after doing this process before loading on the Dillon. 

Check your crimp.  That might be why your having trouble getting it to gauge.

2 hours ago, Dirtchevy841 said:

I see everybody saying a Dillon 100 rd ammo box works well with the hundo when putting in box. Can you use others like the cheap ones at academy. I think mtm 

In 9mm all the ammo boxes I've tried are the same size as the Dillon and all work with my Hundo gauge.  I've used MTM and I think Berry's boxes.  However for .40 I have one non Dillon box, forget the brand, and it's larger than the Dillon and doesn't work with the Hundo.

I really like the hinged MTM boxes, but I think Dillon are the cheapest, especially if you buy 10+ for bulk discount.