Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Recoil spring

RickyH

I use 8# or even 6#.  The 6 is only available in "long slide" and had to be snipped to equal length.

Some use 10#, too. My gun runs flatter with the lighter springs. Just personal taste.

My  ammo is 135gr bayou at 132pf.

Edited by johnbu

To me it's how I hold it... I get way up there with my support hand... If I'm not paying attention to my left thumb slows it down. I went down to 8 and I could feel the hit when the slide was all the way back and feel it when it closed. And it felt slow. Went to the 10, better. Much of tuning a gun is tuning it for your own preference. 

Polishing the slide and frame rails may allow it to go faster with lighter springs.  strip the slide and frame, slather compound on and manually cycle tge slide at least 100x.  A 10# spring may be more to your taste, if you want to change it.

Being used, the spring in it may also be worn / weak. might be smart to buy a selection of weights.p

On 11/28/2016 at 10:11 PM, RickyH said:

It feels sluggish I got the gun from someone so I don't know what spring is in it

For any that might have both, how do the numbers match up between a Stock 2, and a Stock 3 or Lim Pro?
If you run #8 short in the S2, do you find an #8 long spring in the S3/LP works the same?
Of course the S3/LP have a slightly heavier slide, hence the question.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

My s2's and lim pro run about identically with 8# springs. But, recently changed the primary s2 to 6#, and it seems to run flatter.

14 minutes ago, IronArcher said:

For any that might have both, how do the numbers match up between a Stock 2, and a Stock 3 or Lim Pro?
If you run #8 short in the S2, do you find an #8 long spring in the S3/LP works the same?
Of course the S3/LP have a slightly heavier slide, hence the question.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Doc, I'm uncertain in what way you mean "more accurate".  Are you implying lockup is erratic with the lighter spring or that the sights return to point of aim sooner with the stronger spring?  Not trying to pick a fight, just never heard that recoil spring affected accuracy before and would like to hear more about your experience.

9 hours ago, Dr Mitch said:

I was running an 8lbs spring, but the gun is more accurate with a 10lbs spring.

18 hours ago, johnbu said:

Computers?? Pfffft! A passing fad! Sharpen up that #2 pencil, adjust the drafting table and get to work.

That's what got us into this mess in the first place... Italian with too much vino was sketching a woman and accidently came out with a gun... whoops