Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Scales Location?

Where is it best to have scales located while reloading?

How sensitive are they to the vibration of the press itself, etc?

Do different types of lights impact performance?

I know a cell phone too close will impact performance, anything else?

Thanks!

Edited by IGOTGLOCKED

2 hours ago, IGOTGLOCKED said:

Where is it best to have scales located while reloading? RIGHT ON MY LOADING BENCH NEAR THE PRESS.

How sensitive are they to the vibration of the press itself, etc? I DONT FIND IT POSSIBLE TO DROP AND WEIGH CHARGES WHILE ALSO LOADING AMMO.

Do different types of lights impact performance? FLOURESCENT CAN CAUSE PROBLEMS BUT I HAVE ONE HANGING JUST ABOVE MY DILLON SCALE AND IT DOESNT AFFECT IT.

I know a cell phone too close will impact performance, anything else? THE WORST IS A VERY TINY BREEZE. LIKE FROM A HEAT OR AC REGISTER TOO CLOSE.

Thanks!

Kevin has most of it covered, but here's a couple more considerations, especially with electronic scales: Don't have the unit plugged into the same socket as a refrigerator, heater or other such appliance that could turn on while weighing.

Also be aware of possible current surges/drops that can occur from a heat pump/furnace turning on/off that can affect the voltage to the scale power supply.

Alan~^~

Most likely the actual flourescent light wasn't the issue but the old style ballasts that were in use. Older ballasts had a construction in which there was a heavy transformer inside plus some other electronic components which would buzz and hum and make noise. Newer ballasts are all electronic and don't make any noise and should not cause issues with any electronics.

As far as my scale, I just have it sitting on the bench within arms reach. I use it when checking the powder drop at the start of each loading session and then maybe for a case or two during just to confirm. I usually use it and it gets put away within 5 minutes.

17 hours ago, Alan550 said:

Kevin has most of it covered, but here's a couple more considerations, especially with electronic scales: Don't have the unit plugged into the same socket as a refrigerator, heater or other such appliance that could turn on while weighing.

Also be aware of possible current surges/drops that can occur from a heat pump/furnace turning on/off that can affect the voltage to the scale power supply.

Alan~^~

Great points, thx! Should they be plugged in through a surge suppressor?

6 hours ago, mikeinctown said:

Most likely the actual flourescent light wasn't the issue but the old style ballasts that were in use. Older ballasts had a construction in which there was a heavy transformer inside plus some other electronic components which would buzz and hum and make noise. Newer ballasts are all electronic and don't make any noise and should not cause issues with any electronics.

As far as my scale, I just have it sitting on the bench within arms reach. I use it when checking the powder drop at the start of each loading session and then maybe for a case or two during just to confirm. I usually use it and it gets put away within 5 minutes.

I do have a fluorescent light above my reloading bench and it is the same one here when we moved in 15 years ago, perhaps I should change it out to be sure.

IGOTGLOCKED said =

" Great points, thx! Should they be plugged in through a surge suppressor? "

A "surge protector" won't stop a power drop that can occur when other units turn on as I mentioned above.  It only stops extra power (surge) from getting to your scale.  Just be aware of any power shift during weighing......wait until the scale stabilizes and weigh again.

Alan~^~

6 minutes ago, Alan550 said:

IGOTGLOCKED said =

" Great points, thx! Should they be plugged in through a surge suppressor? "

A "surge protector" won't stop a power drop that can occur when other units turn on as I mentioned above.  It only stops extra power (surge) from getting to your scale.  Just be aware of any power shift during weighing......wait until the scale stabilizes and weigh again.

Alan~^~

I understand, thx!

Mine is plugged in all the time. A cheap little Lyman.

On the bench next to the press. Your bench is bolted to the wall, right? If not, do so immediately.

My bench weighs over 150lbs and is hell for stout. Lagging it into a stud at either end was still a revolution in press operation.

4 minutes ago, MemphisMechanic said:

Mine is plugged in all the time. A cheap little Lyman.

On the bench next to the press. Your bench is bolted to the wall, right? If not, do so immediately.

My bench weighs over 150lbs and is hell for stout. Lagging it into a stud at either end was still a revolution in press operation.

Thanks Memphis, as large and heavy as mine is I never though about that. It is up against a poured concrete wall. It's 8 feet long, all 2x6(s), through bolted and screwed. I will go get some hardware to drill and lag it to the wall. Would there be an advantage of securing it to the floor as well..?

Only if it isn't level.

Bolting it to the wall removes the last bit of rocking that your press feels when you seat primers on the upward stroke of your handle and push it back toward the wall.

Keeps the casefeeder more static and reduces those rare inverted pieces of brass, and the like.

Electronic: on a small stable table next to the bench.

Beam: when I had one, over 35 years ago, it was at eye level on a shelf as close to the press as possible. Must be sure you look at the "needle" the same way every time.

I will not subject my scales to the bouncing they would get on the bench.

On 12/2/2016 at 10:30 PM, Sarge said:

Bwahaha! :)

I know! Ok, back home and had a chance to use them tonight. 

Observations:

The scales are much smaller than I was expecting...

The ever so subtle vibration from cycling my 650 did effect the reading when loading 10 charges into the powder pan to obtain a good average as recommended. So I set them up on a separate stand next to my bench.

I saw no difference under fluorescent lighting or not.

There is a difference in measurements of 2-3 100ths with the with the windshield on and off. I put a weight on the platform, (no drift) then put anti static windshield on and reading changes, every time, very strange... 

Was after a charge of 3.3, measured out 10 charges onto the pan and got a solid 33.1!

What scale exactly did you get?

Mine reads different with the shield on. On my Dillon the shield also mitigates static I think. It has a brass ring that makes metal on metal contact with the base.

11 hours ago, Sarge said:

What scale exactly did you get?

Mine reads different with the shield on. On my Dillon the shield also mitigates static I think. It has a brass ring that makes metal on metal contact with the base.

The Dillon D-Terminator Digital, I read too many good things about them here to go with any others... And yes the shield incorporates a metal ring that contacts the base to protect from static. So, I am assuming you use yours with the shield on? It makes measuring a little more difficult however if that is the most accurate then that is certainly what I will do too.

Do you other guys who have the Dillon Digital receive different readings with the shield on and off? If so do you keep on or off?

Thx!

1 hour ago, IGOTGLOCKED said:

The Dillon D-Terminator Digital, I read too many good things about them here to go with any others... And yes the shield incorporates a metal ring that contacts the base to protect from static. So, I am assuming you use yours with the shield on? It makes measuring a little more difficult however if that is the most accurate then that is certainly what I will do too.

Do you other guys who have the Dillon Digital receive different readings with the shield on and off? If so do you keep on or off?

Thx!

What I do is drop ten charges like normal for avg but as a final step I put the shield on and it generally ticks up a 10th. I do it as a final check. When adjusting throw I don't use it. I just drop and weigh adjust drop weigh until it's what I'm looking for then drop 10 and pop the lid on.

Inside the gun cabinet, no breeze, no fluorescent interference. Don't use a cell phone while measuring, it could give you brain cancer, and you won't remember your load..... The piezo electrics are most sensitive to breeze, but not the Febreze. It only makes it smell better.

image37485.jpg