Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Soften up a STI 6inch Eagle in 40 cal

acudoc1

Don't even know if this is possible come to think of it never seen it done but because I have  NO time or ability to reload I only ask this.

I have been running factory loads thru  a 40 STI eagle with the 6 inch barrel. It's turning out to be a hand full for me........besides converting it to 9mm  is there  any modifications that may soften it up. Magnaport, or  possibly install a  thumb rest or *thumb rest [generic]*.  I Would like to continue to use it, maybe for minor open steel. I have accumulated  6 mags holster ect and would love to use the setup but boy after a long day at the range I am damn sore. 

Without loading lighter ammo the only things you can do that will make a difference are add weight (heavy magwell, steel grip, bull barrel, etc.) or add ports and/or a compensator. You might be able to soften it up ever so slightly by playing with recoil spring weights, but it won't be a night and day difference. Lightening the slide will make it recoil faster and "flip" less, but it will hit your hands with a sharper impulse.

Personally if I was limited to factory ammo and didn't like the recoil of a 40, I'd sell it and buy a 9mm.

Hello: Don't add ports to the barrel that will put you in open and make the gun less saleable. First thing I would try is a lighter recoil spring in the 12.5 to 14lb range. Some factory loads are higher power factor than others. Try to find reduced loads and heavy bullet in the 180-200 grain range. Next will be to get into reloading. It will save you money and you can taylor your loads to fit you. Buying reloading equipment will do more for you right now than throwing money at the pistol upgrades. I would look at a Dillon Square Deal B or a Dillon 550. As for time it only takes a little bit of time to reload. An hour here or there can add up to 1000 rounds in no time. If you decide you still won't reload ask around your club to see if someone has some reloads you can try. That will be the real test to see if you want to reload. Hope this helps. Thanks, Eric

check out atlanta arms, they make minor power factor 40 ammo, think it's $16/box iirc pls shipping.  in my edge, this seems to shoot softer than factory 9mm in my eagle, the extra weight of the edge could be coming into play, but there's definitely a difference.

Is your recoil to harsh on the lift up? Or do the sights dip low when the slide closes?  

I'd look to add a heavy magwell, change your recoil spring to something lighter and try to film your gun from the side when shooting to see what it is doing.  A nitrofin thumb rest may help you as well. 

Potentially looking at how you grip on the gun can also be a factor. 

Besides everything said above, Magtech is the softest shooting new (not reloaded) factory ammo I've tried. A shokbuff will help a tiny bit too.

40's are snappy. 9mm's are snappy too so converting won't help you much. However going to .45acp from .40 feels like night and day. The slower push of a .45 is much more comfortable than the violent snap of a high pressure round for many people.

I have a number of suggestions.  First, try some Atlanta Arms Select remanufactured ammo.  Here is the link.  http://atlantaarms.com/products/40-s-w-180gr-jfp-minor.html  This load makes 135PF and that puts it in the mid-range 9mm recoil territory.  At $300/case of 1000, it is reasonable.  Pick up your practice brass and sell it.  You can get 3 cents each for it easily, or you can keep it and have someone reload it for you.

If that still doesn't do it for you have your slide lightened.  Removing metal makes the recoil softer.  There are any number of smiths who do this kind of work quickly.  Take a look at the pictures at Gans Guns for some ideas.

You can save a few pennies per round by having someone reload for you.   At my club there are several who will custom reload anything you want.  There are also two gunsmiths who reload for their customers.  The going rate for 40  is 25-27 cents per round for a lead or coated bullet load if you supply the brass.  There is also a gun shop and bullet maker who will custom reload.

If you have someone reload for you, you can experiment with lighter bullets.  Although most agree the 180 gives the best balance of felt recoil and recovery, many prefer the feel of a lighter bullet.  I really like the 165gr, and for Minor loads, the 135 and 155 are terrific.

Make sure your reloader is using a fast powder for the Minor loads.  I find e3 to be superb.  Others also like Competition.  Many use Clays or Clay Dot for Minor loads, but be careful with those powders as you go up in pressure.